Default I laughed...

Was digging through the keys.h file today and stumbled onto this:

Code:
    // Seems like this platform dont have keysyms, or their docs suck so much I
    // can't find it.
    //
    // To solve this matter I've made my own virtual key numbering. If a key
    // pressed does not match any of these, then it will return the actual
    // MacOSX keycode in the high order word (keycode + 0x10000000).
    //
    // Naturally this require that they dont use keycode values above 0xffff,
    // but if they do complain to Apple for their crappy keyboard support.
    // Already kinda annoyed that the keys for typing { and } are alt+shift+8 and
    // alt+shift+9, plus that backslash is alt+shift+7. How hostile is that!?!?
    // Oh well what can you expect from a company that write "Designed by Apple
    // in California" with big letters when you open your box that the powerbook
    // came in. Yes it shows thats its designed in California!!
    //
    // (No offence to California though. Been there once and loved the place.)
    I lol'ed. Of course, I live in California, and I used to be a big mac user, and I have to admit, having coded for the platform for a few years, I totally and entirely agree!

ClanLib Developer

Hehe, that California remark was directed at the fact that the Danish keyboard layout for Mac is absolutely horrible.

If you code on a non-US keyboard (both on Mac and IBM keyboard layouts), the keys for []{}/\ are all expressed using either alt-gr or shift. But only on the Mac does it require using BOTH hands AND pressing 3 buttons to use something this common in coding.

My guess is that the Mac keyboard layout is somewhat similar to the IBM keyboard layout in the US, although I haven't bothered to confirm this theory.

Where in California do you live btw?

Lesser Wizard

Northern Cali here, foothills. About 2 hours drive south-east of Sacramento.

No beaches or palm trees for me. Hot summers (~110 F happens) and cold winters (lots of snow).

But it's nice.. I used to live in Davis for college (UC Davis), but I think I like it out here more.

As for the keyboards, US mac and PC layouts are quite similar. However, they have the little apple button as opposed to ALT. I'd be hard pressed to think up anything else, I've used both for large portions of my life and I can't really think of anything too drastic between the two, other than the way to input special characters/glyphs (which americans don't really use!)