Thread: Read before posting: The basics of Programming/Game Development

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Master Sorcerer

Default Read before posting: The basics of Programming/Game Development

Introduction

Ever wanted to make your own games or programs? With this bit of information, you can be set well on your way to doing just that.. Of course it'll take a ton of experience in programming boring stuff before you can get to the good stuff! So in this, I'll do my best to teach you those boring things in various programming languages so that one day you may be able to make games of your own!

Vocabulary

What's the best place to start?

Where can I go to learn more?

Java (Downloads)

Java (Basic Program)

C++ (Downloads)

C++ (Basic Program)

Malbolge

From here, I can only wish you luck. If you've gone over each subject, you should be set and ready to begin your first program!

Any other questions? Feel free to ask down below and I'm sure it'll be answered (Whether it be by me or another).

Good luck!

Working on a completely new and better guide! Should be here in a week or two.
    Last edited by IAmABrodie; 06-27-2015 at 09:31 PM. Reason: Adjusted introduction/Grammar Fixes
    "My eyes see everything I want them to I just don't want them to see you."

raqk

This guide is great! I now have a new source to be learning more about a programming language im not so familiar with yet!
    I honestly prefer starting out making simple programs in command prompt though...

Master Sorcerer

Quote Originally Posted by raqk View Post
    This guide is great! I now have a new source to be learning more about a programming language im not so familiar with yet!
    I honestly prefer starting out making simple programs in command prompt though...
    Thanks!

That's exactly what everyone should start with. My first "game" I made was a simple command prompt that used java.util.Scanner and java.util.Random to take in user data and create a random integer for a variable I called "Comp". It was just basically a 1 beats 2, 2 beats 3, and 3 beats 1, it's not much but it was my first game hehe. I've recently moved on from Java to C++... I like C++ a lot more now that I learned Java lol.

Master Sorcerer

Added C++ optional choice... It seemed a little too "shallow" with just Java

Fun fact, Growtopia (both the client and the server) was written in C++!
    Seth A. Robinson
    Robinson Technologies

Quote Originally Posted by Seth View Post
    Fun fact, Growtopia (both the client and the server) was written in C++!
    I dare you to write it in Malbolge!

I've given up on my old antagonist ways and now I've decided to take up a new life as one of those extremely supportive and totally nice forum folk! BRACE YOUR BODY FOR MY INTENSE APPRECIATION FOR WHO YOU ARE AND WHAT YOU STRIVE TO BE.

Default Ummmm

Quote Originally Posted by IAmABrodie View Post
    I've noticed that there's always 1-2 Threads in this Forum that ask: "How do I make a game?"; "I want to make an app, but I don't know how.."; "I wanna' be like!@Seth and make cool games, but how?" Now I can't exactly explain how to program, because it varies from each language. Though once you learn one, you'll be pretty much set in any other. What will I teach you? The basics, as the title says.

Vocabulary

What's the best place to start?

Where can I go to learn more?

Java (Downloads)

Java (Basic Program)

C++ (Downloads)

C++ (Basic Program)

Malbolge

From here, I can only wish you luck. If you've gone over each subject, you should be set and ready to begin your first program! Which I would teach you, but there's way too many different and diverse languages to even just explain the basics of each.

Any other questions? Feel free to ask down bellow and I'm sure it'll be answered (Whether it be by me or another).

Good luck!
    This makes absolutely no sence to me it's not you it's me can you find a super easy way? Because I have no idea what your talking about

What about REALbasic? (The newer version of BASIC)

Joined Growtopia July 16, 2013.
    You mess with the snake, you get the fangs!
    Hexadecimal number systems, giving programmers headaches since computers were invented. (or at least me)

Master Sorcerer

Quote Originally Posted by Happymeep View Post
    This makes absolutely no sence to me it's not you it's me can you find a super easy way? Because I have no idea what your talking about
    Yeah, reading through this now I see a ton of mistakes and a lot of indirect instructions. Maybe when I have some free time I'll start working on re-writing it, possibly might redo it from scratch. But right now, I really don't have time to go indepth in anything, but I can direct you to a place that'll teach you everything you needa' know- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJb...H1njbqV-D5HqKw - This guy is a real genius when it comes to coding and should answer all your questions, just search around in his playlists.

Quote Originally Posted by darksnake99 View Post
    What about REALbasic? (The newer version of BASIC)
    I honestly never heard of REALbasic or BASIC, any links to where I can read up about it?

Suprised you never heard of BASIC, it was really popular. It stands for Beginners All-Purpose Symbolic Instruction Code. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/BASIC

But that's old. The newer version of it is called REALbasic, aka Xojo, and isn't THAT popular, but can be useful. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xojo http://www.xojo.com/

Joined Growtopia July 16, 2013.
    You mess with the snake, you get the fangs!
    Hexadecimal number systems, giving programmers headaches since computers were invented. (or at least me)

Default Ya umm...

Quote Originally Posted by IAmABrodie View Post
    Yeah, reading through this now I see a ton of mistakes and a lot of indirect instructions. Maybe when I have some free time I'll start working on re-writing it, possibly might redo it from scratch. But right now, I really don't have time to go indepth in anything, but I can direct you to a place that'll teach you everything you needa' know- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJb...H1njbqV-D5HqKw - This guy is a real genius when it comes to coding and should answer all your questions, just search around in his playlists.

I honestly never heard of REALbasic or BASIC, any links to where I can read up about it?
    Please find a way for it to be 10 year old friendly? Hehe... Ya...

Master Sorcerer

Just realized that this thread is over a year old with almost 4.6k views. I think it's time to add on a bit more, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Happymeep View Post
    Please find a way for it to be 10 year old friendly? Hehe... Ya...
    For your age and dedication id go here:

https://www.khanacademy.org/computin...er-programming

Thats to learn how code works, etc. It claims its javascript but its modified so if you want to do real code go here:

http://www.w3schools.com

Pick your poison