Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Life Help D:

Quote Originally Posted by mrthadawee View Post

My number one advice for coping with depression is to change your lifestyle, instead of sitting in your room, demotivated, sobbing in the corner. Grab yourself by the hair and kick yourself outside. Go for walks, talk to your friend who you said also suffers from depression. Help eachother through it if you're not already. You may find that bond you make with her will also aid you when you're feeling down.
    I agree with this infinitely

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Hey look I'm really smart
    now please like me

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenpotato_ View Post
    Tell her there is nothing to be gained by hurting herself

This life is beautiful enjoy it because your lucky you got picked by the cosmos to live in such awesome times filled with many adventurs and exploration

Usually it's a cry for help or she's just not thinking positive im not a psychologist this is just from experience

Goodluck and remember how beautiful this world can be.
    I don't think telling someone who hates life that life is beautiful will help them.

When I was depressed I just had to find that out for myself. It's gonna sound bad to most of you but dropping religion was probably the best thing I've done in my life. It allowed me to truly enjoy life for what it is, rather than worry constantly about whether or not God loves me, and worry that I'm having doubts about him existing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by abt79 View Post
    I agree with this infinitely
    Your agreement has broken the fabric of the universe

Good job.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bluemtndew View Post
    I don't think telling someone who hates life that life is beautiful will help them.

When I was depressed I just had to find that out for myself. It's gonna sound bad to most of you but dropping religion was probably the best thing I've done in my life. It allowed me to truly enjoy life for what it is, rather than worry constantly about whether or not God loves me, and worry that I'm having doubts about him existing.

- - - Updated - - -

Good job.
    That is one reason I feel so much better. I try not to believe in anything spiritual. Matisse, she is just super Christian and I think it would help her to just drop it.

Good job.
    Whoa, really? cool.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    now please like me

Quote Originally Posted by ModSim View Post
    That is one reason I feel so much better. I try not to believe in anything spiritual. Matisse, she is just super Christian and I think it would help her to just drop it.
    Are you some sort of heretic? :^)

Sometimes spiritual stuff (religion) can offer guidance for those who are lost... If it helps her, let it be.

For me, I learned the hard way that life ain't all sunshine and rainbows. But the plus side, I can meditate very VERY deeply and get into a state where I can delve into my subconcious and see what I may have missed and reflect greatly on things... I could spend an hour or two a day just in deep deep meditive thought if I had the time on my hands. But sitting in a dark room doing nothing... Literally nothing other than deep relaxation and energy work, along with other visual meditations (I like to mix and match) for hours will not help you unless you ACT upon your problems.

Willpower alone is not what get things done, willpower along with energy, motivation, strength and action is what makes things happen.

PS; There's a difference between being a super god fearing christian and a Christian who uses the Bible for morality and guidance without the fear of death and eternal judgement lingering at their mortal door.

I personally believe that when you die, your spirit either enters a higher realm (the Astral plane or the Ethereal) or if you still have business to do on the Mortal plane, your spirit may linger, however. The deeds you do in this life continues into the next/into eternity. (It's reassuring to at least think in this Mortal life that nothing truely ends despite may never knowing the truth).
    ---> I have changed my in game name to Thadirth. <---
    WiiU ID: Thadadir

Thada's box of stuff *Updated 16/5/2016*
    #22: ":^)" edition

Banned

Sometimes spiritual stuff (religion) can offer guidance for those who are lost... If it helps her, let it be.

For me, I learned the hard way that life ain't all sunshine and rainbows. But the plus side, I can meditate very VERY deeply and get into a state where I can delve into my subconcious and see what I may have missed and reflect greatly on things... I could spend an hour or two a day just in deep deep meditive thought if I had the time on my hands. But sitting in a dark room doing nothing... Literally nothing other than deep relaxation and energy work, along with other visual meditations (I like to mix and match) for hours will not help you unless you ACT upon your problems.

Willpower alone is not what get things done, willpower along with energy, motivation, strength and action is what makes things happen.
    It's more of a suggestion. My parents forcing me to go to church when I don't believe all of that stuff makes things hard. After I told them, they weren't happy, but initially got over it. I could never control anger, nor depression until this. I'm not going to tell her to do that, but I did and I feel great about it.

Banned

It really depends on how she was raised. If she was raised in an extremely christian household (church every sunday/holiday, possibly christian school, taught to memorize bible verses, etc) it may be more difficult for her to drop it as it is so ingrained in her lifestyle. I had already been doubting God for a good while when I dropped it. In fact if I remember correctly I think I just started watching some atheism videos and went "Well, I guess God doesn't exist!" and that was that. I really think that deep down I knew it was true all along, and just needed to admit it to myself.

Alright I've been rambling long enough. If you can give some more detail into how she was raised as a christian and, idk, how christian she is, I may be able to help (although I've only been an atheist for 4-6 months so I don't have a whole ton of experience).

- - - Updated - - -

It's more of a suggestion. My parents forcing me to go to church when I don't believe all of that stuff makes things hard. After I told them, they weren't happy, but initially got over it. I could never control anger, nor depression until this. I'm not going to tell her to do that, but I did and I feel great about it.
    Same with myself. I had the exact same problems and although I was able to control my anger before converting, my depression really got better when I finally did.

I don't really think spirituality is very compatible with most adolescents, as a large part of the problem is that it's a time in they're lives marked by disillusionment.

That is, many of the set-in-stone realities they knew and respected as younger children came crashing down, often they drop religion/spirituality/whatever at this time too to avoid more pain and disappointment.

I mean I'm no psych major, did minor in it though,
    but this is what my first/second hand experience and reasoning has proven to me

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    now please like me

I added a small part at the bottom to that post.

And I can see where you're coming from. But two cents says you coped through depression somewhat thanks to a lifestyle change.

That my friend, is the key.

Banned

I don't really think spirituality is very compatible with most adolescents, as a large part of the problem is that it's a time in they're lives marked by disillusionment.

That is, many of the set-in-stone realities they knew and respected as younger children came crashing down, often they drop religion/spirituality/whatever at this time too to avoid more pain and disappointment.

For the record, I wasn't trying to turn this into a discussion on religion, I was just giving a suggestion and explaining what worked for me (since it seems like most of you aren't speaking from experience and are just talking out of your asses).

- - - Updated - - -

I added a small part at the bottom to that post.

And I can see where you're coming from. But two cents says you coped through depression somewhat thanks to a lifestyle change.

That my friend, is the key.
    Dropping religion is definitely a huge lifestyle change.

EDIT: I really don't think that anyone should be using the bible for moral guidance. I can't really give examples as they probably break forum rules, but I think you know what I'm talking about.

For the record, I wasn't trying to turn this into a discussion on religion, I was just giving a suggestion and explaining what worked for me (since it seems like most of you aren't speaking from experience and are just talking out of your asses).
    I was speaking from experience (though honestly mainly secondhand experience from what I observed other people doing). Not really trying too hard to bring religion/spirituality into this either, just explaining something to mrthad

Wonder what makes you think we're speaking out of our ers and not from experience though, do you somehow know what we've been through in our lives?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    now please like me

That is true. But coming from a background where I was quickly forced to "man up" so to speak and was made aware of dark truths of this world while I was still fresh in my early teens. I found meditation at the least to help me through the darker days. But yeah, as I said in my original post here, everyone's backgrounds will be different and everyone will develop their own coping strategy if any at all.

And of course, it won't work for everyone. However I want to make it clear that Nihlism is NOT a road anyone should go down through... You either stay depressed or start to believe that nothing in this world matters whatsoever and isn't worth caring about. That's the makings of a psychopath!

That said, my view on stuff today can still be described as pessimistic yet realistic and highly logical and regimented...

..For what defines a man is the things he sees and experiences first hand.

Banned

I was speaking from experience (though honestly mainly secondhand experience from what I observed other people doing). Not really trying too hard to bring religion/spirituality into this either, just explaining something to mrthad

Wonder what makes you think we're speaking out of our ers and not from experience though, do you somehow know what we've been through in our lives?
    I'm not going to get into an argument with you again.

- - - Updated - - -

Dropping religion is definitely a huge lifestyle change.

EDIT: I really don't think that anyone should be using the bible for moral guidance. I can't really give examples as they probably break forum rules, but I think you know what I'm talking about.

In that case I could say the exact same thing about Islam, Judaism and every single other type of religion... Cherry picking is not what religion is about though. They ALL have ancient sayings about old times when the world was younger and more bloody let's just say...

And yeah, we're steering dangerously close to a religion discussion here. Back on topic, my main point is that it CAN help, but I wouldn't rule out pretty much any other option over it.

EDIT: If my ass could speak it'd still have an intresting story to tell. Personal experience may be impossible to logically prove or back up with statistics and facts, but if they're true. They can mean more than any amount of statistical figures known to man...

That is true. But coming from a background where I was quickly forced to "man up" so to speak and was made aware of dark truths of this world while I was still fresh in my early teens. I found meditation at the least to help me through the darker days. But yeah, as I said in my original post here, everyone's backgrounds will be different and everyone will develop their own coping strategy if any at all.

And of course, it won't work for everyone. However I want to make it clear that Nihlism is NOT a road anyone should go down through... You either stay depressed or start to believe that nothing in this world matters whatsoever and isn't worth caring about. That's the makings of a psychopath!

That said, my view on stuff today can still be described as pessimistic yet realistic and highly logical and regimented...

..For what defines a man is the things he sees and experiences first hand.
    Yeah, nihilism is some garbage, but it's not quite the same as atheism.
    There are some very respectable and good atheists out there.

I'm not going to get into an argument with you again.
    I hope you weren't expecting anything other than "Oh yay, that means I win"
    Because, oh yay, that means I win.

It's ridiculous how taboo argumment is on this forum because of flamewars and crying and the like, I can argue in a civilized manner without mudslinging, harassment, or crying because you proved me wrong and I think you can do the same. We as a community should be able to share our views and change them if proven wrong without resorting to childishness. I guess it's a wee bit offtopic though, and if that's your beef I can respect that I suppose

- - - Updated - - -

I really don't think that anyone should be using the bible for moral guidance..
    I agree, even if you believed in God/a god you'd have to be an idiot to believe he wrote the bible, or to get moral guidance from a group of people that stoned their children, owned slaves, etc

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    now please like me

I don't know why arguing is just soooo taboo on this forum, I can argue in a civilized manner without mudslinging, harassment, or crying because you proved me wrong and I think you can do the same. I guess it's a wee bit offtopic though, and if that's your beef I can respect that I suppose
    I was referring to nihilism as a view on life or a lifestyle choice. I did not imply it as akin to aethism. Apologies about the confusion.

And personally I see this as a general discussion. This isn't an argument because I'm not necesserially standing and vouching with my point about spiritualism (And I'm trying to find other things to pick out and discuss). Instead we're just discussing loosely the topic OP started. I don't like it when threads derail but there seems to be a fine line between natural loose discussion (conversations mattally veer from topic to topic) and completely derailing the thread by sticking to a point stubbornly or otherwise being negative while bringing nothing to the discussion further derailing a thread.

Anyways, I gotta go, night forums. Whatever happens after this post is none of my matter :^)

Banned

In that case I could say the exact same thing about Islam, Judaism and every single other type of religion... Cherry picking is not what religion is about though. They ALL have ancient sayings about old times when the world was younger and more bloody let's just say...

And yeah, we're steering dangerously close to a religion discussion here. Back on topic, my main point is that it CAN help, but I wouldn't rule out pretty much any other option over it.

EDIT: If my ass could speak it'd still have an intresting story to tell. Personal experience may be impossible to logically prove or back up with statistics and facts, but if they're true. They can mean more than any amount of statistical figures known to man...
    I wasn't meaning to disregard your guys' thoughts, I was just saying I figured I would give an opinion out that had a bit of personal experience with anger issues and depression behind it, that's all.

And yes, in fact I would say the same thing about those religions, but I didn't because those weren't the examples you used.

- - - Updated - - -

It's ridiculous how taboo argumment is on this forum because of flamewars and crying and the like, I can argue in a civilized manner without mudslinging, harassment, or crying because you proved me wrong and I think you can do the same. We as a community should be able to share our views and change them if proven wrong without resorting to childishness. I guess it's a wee bit offtopic though, and if that's your beef I can respect that I suppose

- - - Updated - - -

I agree, even if you believed in God/a god you'd have to be an idiot to believe he wrote the bible, or to get moral guidance from a group of people that stoned their children, owned slaves, etc
    I just don't want to argue about it because it isn't going to go anywhere. Be honest, what will either of us get out of the argument?

And I agree with you about how people act like arguing is so terrible on here.

- - - Updated - - -

I was referring to nihilism as a view on life or a lifestyle choice. I did not imply it as akin to aethism. Apologies about the confusion.

And personally I see this as a general discussion. This isn't an argument because I'm not necesserially standing and vouching with my point about spiritualism (And I'm trying to find other things to pick out and discuss). Instead we're just discussing loosely the topic OP started. I don't like it when threads derail but there seems to be a fine line between natural loose discussion (conversations mattally veer from topic to topic) and completely derailing the thread by sticking to a point stubbornly or otherwise being negative while bringing nothing to the discussion further derailing a thread.

Anyways, I gotta go, night forums. Whatever happens after this post is none of my matter :^)
    I got what you meant, although you did word it a bit confusingly.

I wasn't meaning to disregard your guys' thoughts, I was just saying I figured I would give an opinion out that had a bit of personal experience with anger issues and depression behind it, that's all.

And yes, in fact I would say the same thing about those religions, but I didn't because those weren't the examples you used.

- - - Updated - - -

I just don't want to argue about it because it isn't going to go anywhere. Be honest, what will either of us get out of the argument?
    In that case I respect your opinion and thank you for sharing your thoughts. Words have a bit more sway with the likes of me when I understand a bit more about someone's personal experiences, I can tell a lot about a man by the things he has encountered.

I never thought we were arguing, and if we were. This has to be one of the more civil arguments/debates ever made on the forum. So we aren't too worse off are we? ;^)

Night m8. Thanks for the chat. I apreciate it.

- - - Updated - - -

And I agree with you about how people act like arguing is so terrible on here.
    I dunno, you just said that we weren't speaking from experience and, well I was and I think thad was, I just don't understand why you thought we weren't.

Was it how we worded it? Clearly you weren't trying to shut down our opinions, as you stated, so what can I do so that my experience sounds more genuine?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    now please like me

Banned

I dunno, you just said that we weren't speaking from experience and, well I was and I think thad was, I just don't understand why you thought we weren't.

Was it how we worded it? Clearly you weren't trying to shut down our opinions, as you stated, so what can I do so that my experience sounds more genuine?
    I would rather people not fight in this thread. I was merely asking for help, and this all started.

Have a good day.