Thread: Is it worth learning C?

Default Is it worth learning C?

Okay, so there's a lot of languages out there based on C, but I was wondering whether it was worth learning it.
    "It vexes me how veracious discussion actually devolved into what literally is nocuous as a brainwashed drove of cattle spamming the only two words in their vocabulary: forum game." - JOSHIE63, 2017

↓↓↓
    IGN:TheLuigi
    ↑↑↑

Master Sorcerer

- Yes.

Yes it is.
    If you're planning to study proglangs with C-like syntaxes (php, Java, golang, etc) go for it.

Wew, I guess I'll pick it up, thanks.
    "It vexes me how veracious discussion actually devolved into what literally is nocuous as a brainwashed drove of cattle spamming the only two words in their vocabulary: forum game." - JOSHIE63, 2017

↓↓↓
    ↑↑↑

OS's such as Windows is coded in Objective C, if you can learn that you may be able to exploit Windows (In a good way). BTW there are pople who work for large companies who try to breach there databases to check for any flaws, in turn those flaws get fixed, it's a good way for those companies to secure themselves, as lately you see large companies get hacked because of those flaws in the systems. Companies such as Sony, after recent attacks are looking into doing so.

But anyways learning C is very useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty Machine View Post
    Fairly easy to pick up. If you have a mac get Xcode and QTcreator. Xcode will be your compiler and qt creator is where you type in the code.

First commands you should learn :
    how to comment using /* and */
    defining variables
    using { and } correctly
    Using int main
    How to #include different things, and why you need them
    Pointers(Very Very VERY hard)
    Xcode ain't a compiler. Clang is. http://clang.llvm.org/
    Apple uses Clang as it's compiler (And the fact that they help develop it.)

Quote Originally Posted by Gigglebuns View Post
    OS's such as Windows is coded in Objective C, if you can learn that you may be able to exploit Windows (In a good way). BTW there are pople who work for large companies who try to breach there databases to check for any flaws, in turn those flaws get fixed, it's a good way for those companies to secure themselves, as lately you see large companies get hacked because of those flaws in the systems. Companies such as Sony, after recent attacks are looking into doing so.

But anyways learning C is very useful.
    I don't think Microsoft uses ObjC in Windows lol. They use C, C++, C#, and Assembly for Windows.

No, exploitation is different from programming. It's in a different field of study (Though it's pretty close.)
    Those people who try to breach databases are security researchers. Most companies use a publicly available DBMS like MongoDB or some others. So it's not only the companies who try to breach the software but even hobby security researchers.
    No they don't try to hack their databases. That would be disastrous. They use a test server. (The way you put it is that they attack the live, production databases)

Sony mostly gets DDoS attacks AFAIK. Those aren't hacking.

K, so far I've learned about printing, variables, printing variables, teensy bit of pointers, user input, and comments. Everything else I had some background knowledge on from failed attempts to learn C++.

↓↓↓
    ↑↑↑