Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 55

Thread: Rate my grammar and vocabulary.

  1. #1
    Master Sorcerer GummiBear64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Australia, mate.
    Posts
    10,687

    Default Rate my grammar and vocabulary.

    I'm in Year 11 and I'm taking the hardest English class possible, because I'm proficiently adept at English.
    Now, in this class, we genuinely fixate on ameliorating the words in our lexicon as the teacher is very ebullient about sounding sophisticated and whatnot.
    She is very rigorous when it comes to inditing pieces such as essays and if our lexicon isn't up to her prospects or we utilize punctuation incorrectly, we lose an abundance of marks - well, a lot in the sense that it's a lot for a minuscule mistake, conventionally only half a mark per mistake but it all counts.
    Anywho, I was wondering what your opinion on my lexicon and grammar is. Don't expect me to always make sentences with sesquipedal words, I just felt like doing it in this particular sentence.
    Thanks Ceyx for the conception, I relish constructive reprehension.

    In hindsight, I now realised some people may need a thesaurus or something for this thread, my bad, it's genuinely what I'm use to when I indite stuff now thanks to my teacher.
    CRACK OPEN A COLD ONE WITH YA BOY, MIKE HOMMEL!

  2. #2
    Master Sorcerer _CM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    731

    Default

    . . .
    Inspiring Video...




    Old account: Carlo Miguel Velasco

    14-06-16

  3. #3
    Master Sorcerer GummiBear64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Australia, mate.
    Posts
    10,687

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by _CM View Post
    . . .
    I don't know how I cope with the English class but I genuinely find it fun learning new words.
    CRACK OPEN A COLD ONE WITH YA BOY, MIKE HOMMEL!

  4. #4
    Master Sorcerer FrostxMC =^.^='s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    U.A.E, Dubai
    Posts
    815

    Default

    Firstly, I'd just like to tell you that this is NOT a rating but just a statement? I guess. Well, I've been lurking the forums although I haven't been posting much however I've noticed something. You've either read the dictionary recently or put the majority of the words that you haven't used at all to good use. You're vocabulary before was a lot more simplistic than it currently is. Right now, it seems that you just want to put in 'big' words together. You should try to reduce it a bit because you shouldn't assume that the reader knows all of the words that you do. It makes you seem like a 'try-hard' I guess. By the way, my intention isn't to insult you at all. It's quite the opposite. Your vocabulary is superb and your grammar has some common mistakes although they shouldn't really be a problem and if you proof-read your work you'd notice them. There's just one thing you're forgetting. The reader. Let's start off with the forums. You should know that the majority of the forumers are either pre-teens or teenagers. They wouldn't have an extended vocabulary such as yours and they would probably stop less than half-way through your writing. The only solution to that is to simplify it just enough so they can understand.

    Please remember that this isn't a rating but just stating a thing and giving advice. None of the things above were meant to be taken as an insult so please don't look at it as a form of attack or assault. Thank you.
    (っ^▿^)

    Goals:

    Get a best friend. (Tick)
    Sponsor an item with my name on it: (x)
    Get WOTD: (Tick)
    Make 20 of my friends rich: (x)
    I don't know how to put a tick. Sorry.

    This here is for the new players. The Forum Rules is a must-read while the Forum Manual is really helpful instead.
    The Forum Manual (By Jack Bowe)
    Forum Rules (By Solorien)
    #200 token Giveaway

  5. #5
    Master Sorcerer Jack Bowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    England!
    Posts
    4,761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GummiBear64 View Post
    I'm in Year 11 and I'm taking the hardest English class possible, because I'm proficiently adept at English.
    Now, in this class, we genuinely fixate on ameliorating the words in our lexicon as the teacher is very ebullient about sounding sophisticated and whatnot.
    She is very rigorous when it comes to inditing pieces such as essays and if our lexicon isn't up to her prospects or we utilize punctuation incorrectly, we lose an abundance of marks - well, a lot in the sense that it's a lot for a minuscule mistake, conventionally only half a mark per mistake but it all counts.
    Anywho, I was wondering what your opinion on my lexicon and grammar is. Don't expect me to always make sentences with sesquipedal words, I just felt like doing it in this particular sentence.
    Thanks Ceyx for the conception, I relish constructive reprehension.

    In hindsight, I now realised some people may need a thesaurus or something for this thread, my bad, it's genuinely what I'm use to when I indite stuff now thanks to my teacher.
    Anywho isn't a word, Gummi, and it's "used to," not "use to" in the context in which you used it, other than that you used all of your sophisticated vocabulary correctly, wasn't too loquacious, and used correct grammar the whole way through. Nailed it! I'd give you a solid 8/10.

    PS: Replace anywho with anyhow and it's correct.
    PPS: Although whatnot is technically a word, it's an informal term, and I wouldn't use that in your essay.


    The problem with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.

  6. #6
    Lesser Wizard soren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    454

    Default

    I too feel like you're translating simple words to their alternatives to make yourself sound smart. I don't want to start any beef or anything, homie.
    It's just my opinion.
    Receive something money can't buy.
    (changed my ign to NeffyGT to stop people from confusing me with v0ren.)
    Subscribe to GameGoLive and become a 'migo (amigo)
    Latest video(s):



    Weekly Content!

  7. #7
    Master Sorcerer Jack Bowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    England!
    Posts
    4,761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FrostxMC =^.^= View Post
    Firstly, I'd just like to tell you that this is NOT a rating but just a statement? I guess. Well, I've been lurking the forums although I haven't been posting much however I've noticed something. You've either read the dictionary recently or put the majority of the words that you haven't used at all to good use. You're vocabulary before was a lot more simplistic than it currently is. Right now, it seems that you just want to put in 'big' words together. You should try to reduce it a bit because you shouldn't assume that the reader knows all of the words that you do. It makes you seem like a 'try-hard' I guess. By the way, my intention isn't to insult you at all. It's quite the opposite. Your vocabulary is superb and your grammar has some common mistakes although they shouldn't really be a problem and if you proof-read your work you'd notice them. There's just one thing you're forgetting. The reader. Let's start off with the forums. You should know that the majority of the forumers are either pre-teens or teenagers. They wouldn't have an extended vocabulary such as yours and they would probably stop less than half-way through your writing. The only solution to that is to simplify it just enough so they can understand.

    Please remember that this isn't a rating but just stating a thing and giving advice. None of the things above were meant to be taken as an insult so please don't look at it as a form of attack or assault. Thank you.
    He's asking for a rating so he can be prepared for his English class, he's not asking for all the teenagers on the forum to try and read it, that's not his concern. People read what they want to read, he's not forcing them to try and understand his paragraph, I don't see an issue. Although, I do seem to automatically dumb down my sentences a bit when on the forums, for the none-native English speakers.

    Quote Originally Posted by soren View Post
    I too feel like you're translating simple words to their alternatives to make yourself sound smart. I don't want to start any beef or anything, homie.
    It's just my opinion.
    That's what you're meant to do in English, to show you have a good knowledge of sophisticated vocabulary and where to apply it correctly.


    The problem with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.

  8. #8
    Lesser Wizard soren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    454

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Bowe View Post
    Anywho isn't a word, Gummi, other than that you used all of your sophisticated vocabulary correctly, wasn't too loquacious, and used correct grammar the whole way through. Nailed it!

    PS: Replace anywho with anyhow and it's correct.
    I was amazed as well.
    I did feel like his expressions were somewhat too stiff though.

    - - - Updated - - -

    "That's what you're meant to do in English, to show you have a good knowledge of sophisticated vocabulary and where to apply it correctly."

    I understand where you're coming at, but like i said before.
    Receive something money can't buy.
    (changed my ign to NeffyGT to stop people from confusing me with v0ren.)
    Subscribe to GameGoLive and become a 'migo (amigo)
    Latest video(s):



    Weekly Content!

  9. #9
    Knight ZingGT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    India
    Posts
    88

    Default

    I did give it 10/10! Good luck!
    Last edited by ZingGT; 03-21-2016 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Increased rating :)

  10. #10
    Master Sorcerer FrostxMC =^.^='s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    U.A.E, Dubai
    Posts
    815

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Bowe View Post
    He's asking for a rating so he can be prepared for his English class, he's not asking for all the teenagers on the forum to try and read it, that's not his concern. People read what they want to read, he's not forcing them to try and understand his paragraph, I don't see an issue. Although, I do seem to automatically dumb down my sentences a bit when on the forums, for the none-native English speakers.



    That's what you're meant to do in English, to show you have a good knowledge of sophisticated vocabulary and where to apply it correctly.
    Ah! I'm so sorry. I kind of just read part of it and when a lot of words that I didn't know were suddenly mixed together I just started speed-reading it. My bad I guess. Well, if it's for English class then I guess you'll probably do quite well on it. Just try to tone it down in the forums a little bit. Make sure that what belongs only in English classes remains there because... Oh god. You've intrigued me . I guess I'll just go on the dictionary soon to find some new words.

    One thing to Jack Bowe --> The way you write thing is perfectly normal and I haven't found any faults with the way you say things. Sometimes, some things are over-extended however everything else is perfect. Keep doing what you currently are. I always look forward to your posts. *.*
    (っ^▿^)

    Goals:

    Get a best friend. (Tick)
    Sponsor an item with my name on it: (x)
    Get WOTD: (Tick)
    Make 20 of my friends rich: (x)
    I don't know how to put a tick. Sorry.

    This here is for the new players. The Forum Rules is a must-read while the Forum Manual is really helpful instead.
    The Forum Manual (By Jack Bowe)
    Forum Rules (By Solorien)
    #200 token Giveaway

  11. #11
    Master Sorcerer GummiBear64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Australia, mate.
    Posts
    10,687

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FrostxMC =^.^= View Post
    Firstly, I'd just like to tell you that this is NOT a rating but just a statement? I guess. Well, I've been lurking the forums although I haven't been posting much however I've noticed something. You've either read the dictionary recently or put the majority of the words that you haven't used at all to good use. You're vocabulary before was a lot more simplistic than it currently is. Right now, it seems that you just want to put in 'big' words together. You should try to reduce it a bit because you shouldn't assume that the reader knows all of the words that you do. It makes you seem like a 'try-hard' I guess. By the way, my intention isn't to insult you at all. It's quite the opposite. Your vocabulary is superb and your grammar has some common mistakes although they shouldn't really be a problem and if you proof-read your work you'd notice them. There's just one thing you're forgetting. The reader. Let's start off with the forums. You should know that the majority of the forumers are either pre-teens or teenagers. They wouldn't have an extended vocabulary such as yours and they would probably stop less than half-way through your writing. The only solution to that is to simplify it just enough so they can understand.

    Please remember that this isn't a rating but just stating a thing and giving advice. None of the things above were meant to be taken as an insult so please don't look at it as a form of attack or assault. Thank you.
    Yeah, I won't use big words for the sake of using them. My teacher is strict when it comes to writing pieces, so if we don't use the correct punctuation or good enough words by her standards, we then lose marks. I was asking for your opinion as to whether or not you think my vocabulary would suffice. I always try to tone down my posts when on forums as to give others a chance to comprehend what I'm saying.
    Quote Originally Posted by soren View Post
    I too feel like you're translating simple words to their alternatives to make yourself sound smart. I don't want to start any beef or anything, homie.
    It's just my opinion.
    That's fine. Your opinion is your opinion, I respect that. I asked for opinions so I can't really tell you that I dislike it, lmao.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Bowe View Post
    He's asking for a rating so he can be prepared for his English class, he's not asking for all the teenagers on the forum to try and read it, that's not his concern. People read what they want to read, he's not forcing them to try and understand his paragraph, I don't see an issue. Although, I do seem to automatically dumb down my sentences a bit when on the forums, for the none-native English speakers.



    That's what you're meant to do in English, to show you have a good knowledge of sophisticated vocabulary and where to apply it correctly.
    Jack understands me, thanks lad

    Quote Originally Posted by JackBowe
    Anywho isn't a word, Gummi, other than that you used all of your sophisticated vocabulary correctly, wasn't too loquacious, and used correct grammar the whole way through. Nailed it! I'd give you a solid 8.5/10.

    PS: Replace anywho with anyhow and it's correct.
    PPS: Although whatnot is technically a word, it's an informal term, and I wouldn't use that in your essay.
    Really? I genuinely always believed anywho was a word. I suppose it's a word that's only used in the vernacular.
    Yeah, I always assumed whatnot was a word that I should refrain from using.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by ZingGT View Post
    I did give it 9/10

    You nearly used all the words correctly except a few, thou if you aren't good in English then it's not a problem! Most of those people who had a weak English too were successful in their lives! Don't worry duh

    Always remember no one is perfect in everything! That's what makes all of us unique

    Cheers!
    Care to inform me of the words that I didn't use in the correct context? I'm a fluent English speaker so I'm genuinely amazed that some were used incorrectly.
    CRACK OPEN A COLD ONE WITH YA BOY, MIKE HOMMEL!

  12. #12
    Knight ZingGT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    India
    Posts
    88

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GummiBear64 View Post
    Care to inform me of the words that I didn't use in the correct context? I'm a fluent English speaker so I'm genuinely amazed that some were used incorrectly.
    I guess most people don't consider 'anywho' as a proper word....

    Extremely sorry if it's wrong ! Mind correcting me out? I am just going to reach 7th standard..

  13. #13
    Lesser Wizard Georgia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    394

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZingGT View Post
    I guess most people don't consider 'anywho' as a proper word....

    Extremely sorry if it's wrong ! Mind correcting me out? I am just going to reach 7th standard..
    I'm pretty sure that anywho is a slang term used for anyhow. I don't really see any point in using it though.
    IGN:GG15
    Refresh for new gif

  14. #14
    Master Sorcerer GummiBear64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Australia, mate.
    Posts
    10,687

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZingGT View Post
    I guess most people don't consider 'anywho' as a proper word....

    Extremely sorry if it's wrong ! Mind correcting me out? I am just going to reach 7th standard..
    No, sorry, that's my bad.
    You're right, it is a word however it's classified as an informal word, therefore it isn't a word you would use in essays and resumes as such.
    It's just, I thought you found more than one word incorrectly used but I must have misread, sorry.
    CRACK OPEN A COLD ONE WITH YA BOY, MIKE HOMMEL!

  15. #15
    Knight ZingGT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    India
    Posts
    88

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GummiBear64 View Post
    No, sorry, that's my bad.
    You're right, it is a word however it's classified as an informal word, therefore it isn't a word you would use in essays and resumes as such.
    It's just, I thought you found more than one word incorrectly used but I must have misread, sorry.
    Rating increased! Sorry, my bad!

  16. #16
    Master Sorcerer
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    this is my plea plslls eradicate my existence before i take yours
    Posts
    4,233

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FrostxMC =^.^= View Post
    Firstly, I'd just like to tell you that this is NOT a rating but just a statement? I guess. Well, I've been lurking the forums although I haven't been posting much however I've noticed something. You've either read the dictionary recently or put the majority of the words that you haven't used at all to good use. You're vocabulary before was a lot more simplistic than it currently is. Right now, it seems that you just want to put in 'big' words together. You should try to reduce it a bit because you shouldn't assume that the reader knows all of the words that you do. It makes you seem like a 'try-hard' I guess. By the way, my intention isn't to insult you at all. It's quite the opposite. Your vocabulary is superb and your grammar has some common mistakes although they shouldn't really be a problem and if you proof-read your work you'd notice them. There's just one thing you're forgetting. The reader. Let's start off with the forums. You should know that the majority of the forumers are either pre-teens or teenagers. They wouldn't have an extended vocabulary such as yours and they would probably stop less than half-way through your writing. The only solution to that is to simplify it just enough so they can understand.

    Please remember that this isn't a rating but just stating a thing and giving advice. None of the things above were meant to be taken as an insult so please don't look at it as a form of attack or assault. Thank you.
    "Try-hard"? How cute. Let's not perpetuate this redundant statement until it reaches a certain level of mediocrity for the stereotypical rtsoft peeps.
    the one and only pineapple you grew up with and loved
    Ign: iHans/Hansie

  17. #17
    Master Sorcerer JOSHIE63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    4,439

    Default

    Put together, it looks nice. However, your word choice is so…unnatural. Not so much due to its complexity — I should be versed far from that — but rather it does sound like this was forced. There is a way to modify this prose to make it sound more natural, such as changing the word "lexicon" to a term like vernacular and, if I can, I can offer a few words if you need them.

    Also, you try relentlessly for a compound-complex sentence wherein you make simple errors like comma splices and run-ons. I would aim for reasonable balance between simple, complex, compound, and compound-complex.

    These are only my harshest critisizms, for no one would ever be this analytical usually. I pray your teacher learns when such discourse is apprpriate.
    MUMBLE

  18. #18
    Master Sorcerer ianCSzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Indonesia
    Posts
    3,298

    Default

    Grandiloquence aside, why use "big words" when diminutive terms would suffice? That way, one may involuntarily misinterpret your vocabulary to be rodomontade. Such lexical complexities are nugatory.


    Also to rate your grammar : 10/10 "I didn't understand a thing"
    IGN : Lavaloid

  19. #19
    Master Sorcerer Epicbrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    California (CA)
    Posts
    832

    Default

    *Your English Teacher somehow finds a way to get on this forum*


    Whoooops



    Thanks BloodyIce For Making.. I don't know if he still plays..
    IGN: Sirbrick
    Yippee, a short signature.. I think.

  20. #20
    Master Sorcerer NinjaPRO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,626

    Default

    I barely used 'big words' in Year 11 advanced English and I passed with a 93%, surprisingly.
    Yeah, one of the "oldies".

    Also became a lurker of the forums.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •