Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help me build a PC! :D

Quote Originally Posted by Lain View Post
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/39CW23
    Should meet all of your requirements. i5 and 16GB of RAM for a ton of programs running at once. Small GTX 970 to fit the case you wanted and give you 60 FPS on almost all games on max or near max. SSD is included for fast program access and boot times. Noctua heatsink and fans so your computer doesn't sound like a jet engine. Reliable modular PSU from Seasonic so your computer's inside looks nicer and doesn't blow up. You might want to switch out the motherboard if you're installing some PCI 1x adapters, this only comes with one PCIE x16 for the GPU.
    note: you can switch out the gpu for an r9 390 or one that's a bit bigger. I chose the gigabyte 970 because it was the only gpu below 177mm i could find.
    Yo peck, can you tell me the difference between this one and yours? And could you tell me how you think they would both run?

Master Sorcerer

Quote Originally Posted by Magicalfishy View Post
    Yo peck, can you tell me the difference between this one and yours? And could you tell me how you think they would both run?
    Things I would change about his build is the gpu. However as he said it's meant to fit the mini case. 4gb video memory across three monitors wouldn't work well considering 1.5gb is used for OS and basic use. He also uses a bit more expensive cpu cooler, which I've done fine with the standard ones. Just as long as you're never using stock coolers.
    In terms of performance it's pretty much equal except for the gpu, though it comes with great drivers it's performance is a little inferior to the r9 390. His cpu listed is by specs a tad slower but you won't note a difference.
    If you truly want it mini, his build is fine for most the things you would like. As cool as SSD's are I'm not a fan of their lifespan (the speed dies over time) considering the price per gigabyte.
    Personally I've never had issues carrying around mid towers or need extra mobility in any situation, but if that's where you want to move your budget go ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by peck View Post
    You do realize that the ssd gets outperformed by the hdd and there is no reason to have it? Cheap SSD's are to fool people as yourself into thinking it's fast only because it's an ssd. Kingston, samsung, or intel.

He said he wants use of his good internet, the WiFi card is a stepback.

He's also looking for a strong pc, there is no reason to spend the extra cash to make everything mini.

Even if the parts were strong enough, that psu is only safe handling up to 300w before faster degrading.

I don't think it meets any of the requirements but thanks for the share.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/B63n3C
    $900 with durable parts. Strong gpu and mid tier cpu. If you want multiple monitors buy a $10 hdmi switcher from the store. Just remember that the more monitors, the more stress on your gpu. But it's a strong one so 2 or 3 will work if you don't plan on displaying a game between them all.

This is a very good build, nice one. I would opt for maybe a modular or semi-modular PSU as well as not a Z170 board because DDR4 won't be really mainstream for at least 3-4 years and by then he should have the funds available for a new motherboard and CPU. I think either going with Haswell (LGA 1150) or Devil's Canyon (LGA 1150) or even a CPU on the LGA-2011 socket would be fine. Not saying the 1151 is not worth it but for the OP, it might be more of a cost-conservative build, y'know? I'd also say a SSD be added but that would make me a hypocrite. Other than these little nit-picks, good build. OP, this would be a very good build and even consider a modified version.

Master Sorcerer

Quote Originally Posted by craft3d View Post
    This is a very good build, nice one. I would opt for maybe a modular or semi-modular PSU as well as not a Z170 board because DDR4 won't be really mainstream for at least 3-4 years and by then he should have the funds available for a new motherboard and CPU. I think either going with Haswell (LGA 1150) or Devil's Canyon (LGA 1150) or even a CPU on the LGA-2011 socket would be fine. Not saying the 1151 is not worth it but for the OP, it might be more of a cost-conservative build, y'know? I'd also say a SSD be added but that would make me a hypocrite. Other than these little nit-picks, good build. OP, this would be a very good build and even consider a modified version.
    The reason why I'm switching to ddr4 is because next Gen games like fallout 4 are becoming more influenced by it. (Up to 13 fps difference).
    I just personally don't like SSD's from the fact that they have a limited amount of writes, even though the number is relatively high it irks me mentally. As much as everyone calls it a rumor, says TRIM will stop it, and point to the "will last 100 years", it's unfortunately a real thing. Personal and online reports say you can drop around 10mbs every year on mid-hard use. However this may just because I have early generations, supposedly the newest ones will only relocate sectors in about 50 years of hard use.

The reason why I'm switching to ddr4 is because next Gen games like fallout 4 are becoming more influenced by it. (Up to 13 fps difference).
    I just personally don't like SSD's from the fact that they have a limited amount of writes, even though the number is relatively high it irks me mentally. As much as everyone calls it a rumor, says TRIM will stop it, and point to the "will last 100 years", it's unfortunately a real thing. Personal and online reports say you can drop around 10mbs every year on mid-hard use. However this may just because I have early generations, supposedly the newest ones will only relocate sectors in about 50 years of hard use.
    Oh, well that does make sense, but I only suggested the DDR3 because I'm not entirely sure if the OP would be playing Triple A Titles like Fallout 4 or not, but alright, I do see what you mean by this. SSDs on the other hand, yeah, the thing that really gets me about them is the price of them and, as you mentioned, the limited writes. I mean, you can buy a 6TB drive for 200 dollars and buy maybe a 500GB SSD for the same price, maybe more. That really breaks the deal for me, and I prefer the traditional drive as it is reliable enough and fast enough for me. Those reports of it lasting 100 years are probably fallacious because I don't think any drive is able to withstand that long of writing, and with a limited write speed, how slow will it be by than? Yeah. I see what you mean but maybe an SSD just for the OS or something would be nice. Just my two cents. :p

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wWyNXL

A slightly modified build, where I added a semi-modular PSU, cheaper RAM (same frequencies), a little cheaper board with overclocking in mind, and a Gigabyte 390. I also chose a different case for better cable management and a case window. I chose the PSU because I felt that cable management may be a thing to keep in mind while building this computer, the cheaper RAM because it is basically the same and has pretty promising reviews on it, the board, which I felt would be great for the OP as I'm not 100% sure he'll be doing massive overclocking so something like this would suit the build fine. I changed the GPU because I have a Gigabyte card and it's been a great card so far. I also was thinking of changing the CPU, but I'm not sure, as the OP never specified if he wanted to overclock his computer, and he said he wanted a quiet computer, and with that in mind the overclocking part maybe wasted. I don't know, take a look and tell me if I should change anything.
    Last edited by craft3d; 03-24-2016 at 04:12 PM.

Master Sorcerer

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wWyNXL
    take a look and tell me if I should change anything.
    The psu change is a good call, I think you should put in another 8gb ram stick since he claims he wants to be able to video edit, record, and play a game all at the same time.
    Motherboard change is fine and so is the gpu branding.

Once another 8gb stick is in there I think op should pick it.

The psu change is a good call, I think you should put in another 8gb ram stick since he claims he wants to be able to video edit, record, and play a game all at the same time.

Oh snap, and that's even cheaper than your original build? : o

Oh, I'm such an idiot. I forgot 16 GB, my bad. Alright, I'll add it and send it again. Cheers!

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qmmc3C

Master Sorcerer

Oh snap, and that's even cheaper than your original build? : o
    Yea the motherboard price difference is about $70 and he was missing an extra ram stick. Though the motherboard he listed is cheaper, it's still very reliable.

It bothers me that this is shown on all my posts.

If you wait for a while longer, you can get one of AMD's glorious Polaris GPUs.
    http://wccftech.com/amd-confirms-pol...ktops-laptops/
    'A man with a gun can control 100 that have none.'

Eh, but I'm not sure the OP wants to wait for Polaris quite yet. The R9 390 should be fine for his needs and it is basically overkill at 1080p.

Master Sorcerer

Pascal is coming soon aswell, but it's hard to trust the marketing of "10x faster" when moore's law has ceased.

Pascal is coming soon aswell, but it's hard to trust the marketing of "10x faster" when moore's law has ceased.
    This is so so true.

Oh, I'm such an idiot. I forgot 16 GB, my bad. Alright, I'll add it and send it again. Cheers!

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qmmc3C
    Is this the completed build I should go for?

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) may want to look behind you and start running...

Quote Originally Posted by SwafGaming View Post
    why not just buy a pc?
    its cheaper, you get to choose what you want and don't want (contributes to the cheapness) ]and it feels very good to have made your own.
    Ign: Hippohello

dank quotes

5/7/2016: the worst account hacking by far.

Hey peck, should I see if I can find anyone to help me build the PC, or should I use a website that allows you to buy the parts and have it custom built?

And if I should use a custom PC building website, do you have any in mind?

Master Sorcerer

Hey peck, should I see if I can find anyone to help me build the PC, or should I use a website that allows you to buy the parts and have it custom built?

And if I should use a custom PC building website, do you have any in mind?
    Look up a YouTube tutorial (the most beginner friendly one is: https://youtu.be/k1Q8ksRI1Eo). The motherboard manual tells you where to put every labeled cable. You don't need any real experience assembling a pc, you just need to be able to read and follow instructions.

Is this the completed build I should go for?
    Yes.

"If the socket fits and the hardware clicks, you've done good."

-Computer Teacher, 2k15 - 2k16

Quote Originally Posted by Patrikov
    You are already dead. This is hell.

It bothers me that this is shown on all my posts.

Hey peck, should I see if I can find anyone to help me build the PC, or should I use a website that allows you to buy the parts and have it custom built? [/SIZE]
    Do it yourself. There are a ton of guides all over the internet for assembling your own PC. If you don't trust yourself, call a friend. Most custom PC services are ridiculously overpriced. There's one up for $1,200 on iBuyPower PC with a 960 and i7 to give you an idea of how overpriced it is.
    'A man with a gun can control 100 that have none.'

Do it yourself. There are a ton of guides all over the internet for assembling your own PC. If you don't trust yourself, call a friend. Most custom PC services are ridiculously overpriced. There's one up for $1,200 on iBuyPower PC with a 960 and i7 to give you an idea of how overpriced it is.
    I noticed, haha. But I did see some websites where you can pick all the parts and then they will build it for you.