Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help me build a PC! :D

I would say the RAM, SSD/HDD, GC and the CPU are the most important parts, in my ophinion.

Ram= Should be over 16gb, maybe 32gb is good enought?

GC= You need a good graphics card to run games smoothly! NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX is good! Choose your model depending on price!

SSD/HDD= For gaming, SSD is the best option, but to store stuff and run many diffrent programs, HDD is better. Many people choose SSD when they build computer dedicated to gaming! ( I would choose SSD!)

CPU= If you would like the best, I recommend i7, with quad or more cores!

Am I right or wrong? I used my general knowledge, so I'm not 100% shore. Right me if I'm wrong.
    Ign:Mutch
    Level:52
    "Sarcasm is a body's natural defense against stupidity"

How to dodge bullshit!

Quote Originally Posted by Mutch View Post
    I would say the RAM, SSD/HDD, GC and the CPU are the most important parts, in my ophinion.

GC= You need a good graphics card to run games smoothly! NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX is good! Choose your model depending on price!

SSD/HDD= For gaming, SSD is the best option, but to store stuff and run many diffrent programs, HDD is better. Many people choose SSD when they build computer dedicated to gaming! ( I would choose SSD!)

Am I right or wrong? I used my general knowledge, so I'm not 100% shore. Right me if I'm wrong.
    RAM = 8 to 16GB, unless doing intensive editing and graphical rendering

GC = AMD is really good too, because they have 8GB cards where nVidia only offers 3.5 and 4GB cards with good specs but 8GB is all around way more useful.

SSD/HDD = No, SSD is usually good for the OS as the cost of SSDs versus HDDs is extreme and not worth the extra load time. SSD (120GB) is probably the best and only should be used for your OS or really long load time in games.

CPU = To be honest, you really can live without an i7, because even though it has more cores, it doesn't matter. The extra 100 - 200 dollars spent on a, say, i7-4790k, is not worth it if you are upgrading from an, say, i5 4690k. I mean, again, like the RAM, get an i7 if you're into intensive multitasking

Quote Originally Posted by craft3d View Post
    RAM = 8 to 16GB, unless doing intensive editing and graphical rendering

GC = AMD is really good too, because they have 8GB cards where nVidia only offers 3.5 and 4GB cards with good specs but 8GB is all around way more useful.

SSD/HDD = No, SSD is usually good for the OS as the cost of SSDs versus HDDs is extreme and not worth the extra load time. SSD (120GB) is probably the best and only should be used for your OS or really long load time in games.

CPU = To be honest, you really can live without an i7, because even though it has more cores, it doesn't matter. The extra 100 - 200 dollars spent on a, say, i7-4790k, is not worth it if you are upgrading from an, say, i5 4690k. I mean, again, like the RAM, get an i7 if you're into intensive multitasking
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicalFishy

• It must be able to run multiple heavy programs like video editors, photoshop, etc at the same time.
    • I use fraps to record, and I want to sustain 60+ FPS while recording.
    • I would like to have zero lag on voice call programs like skype, discord, etc while recording, playing games, and running heavy programs.

Alright, and to summarize this I would like you to be on the same page as me. I will be recording videos (sometimes being on a voice call while doing so), editing videos, streaming, using photoshop, gaming, listening to music, etc.
    Isn't that intensive editing and graphical rendering at the same time? So 16GB and up ram is definitely recommended.

AMD GC actually has a better $$$:performance ratio + 8GB vram of GC for only $350 bucks ( referring to r9 390x )... Yes, NVIDIA has a 12GB vram of GC ( GTX Titan X ) but it costs about $1000.
    I agree, i7 isn't so necesarry, especially if your budget is only $1200. Better spend the rest of money on the ram, might want to do a 2-way crossfire/SLI as well. Intel i5 6600k ( skylake ) does the job, but i7 could process the edited videos etc. faster. SSD only reduces wait time, if you are impatient then that's a must. But usually HDD's does the job pretty well, except its slower than SSD's
    In Game Name: Old name: Media
    Current name: Pointer
    Level: 36

Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
    Isn't that intensive editing and graphical rendering at the same time? So 16GB and up ram is definitely recommended.

AMD GC actually has a better $$$erformance ratio + 8GB vram of GC for only $350 bucks ( referring to r9 390x )... Yes, NVIDIA has a 12GB vram of GC ( GTX Titan X ) but it costs about $1000.
    I agree, i7 isn't so necesarry, especially if your budget is only $1200. Better spend the rest of money on the ram, might want to do a 2-way crossfire/SLI as well. Intel i5 6600k ( skylake ) does the job, but i7 could process the edited videos etc. faster. SSD only reduces wait time, if you are impatient then that's a must. But usually HDD's does the job pretty well, except its slower than SSD's
    So should we make modifications to this build? http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qmmc3C

@peck

Master Sorcerer

Quote Originally Posted by Magicalfishy View Post
    So should we make modifications to this build? http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qmmc3C

@peck
    No. That build is very cost efficient for your price range and will do what you want it to. And no you don't need more RAM.
    2gig- operating system
    4gig- rendering
    4gig-games
    6gig-anything else

Quote Originally Posted by Mutch View Post

32gb is way overkill, 16gb may even be too much.
    For his budget I would reccomend a 120gb ssd for the OS and a hard drive for everything else.
    No need for an I7 necessarily, I would run with a skylake or 5th gen i5.
    @SpotlightR on Instagram
    Self-taught artist, car enthusiast, and audiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by peck View Post
    No. That build is very cost efficient for your price range and will do what you want it to. And no you don't need more RAM.
    2gig- operating system
    4gig- rendering
    4gig-games
    6gig-anything else
    Alrighty, cool beans.

Also, I need to get an OS right?

Alrighty, cool beans.

Buy windows 7 then upgrade to 10 if you want to
    Quote Originally Posted by genpasaporte922 View Post
    When I was a newbie, I emailed Support how to earn world lock, and I farmed dirt for almost 3 months.

Master Sorcerer

Alrighty, cool beans.

Yea, but that's not included in builds because of how common windows piracy is and linuix. Up to you on that end.

You can drop your cpu temp by 5 degrees Fahrenheit if you get some cheap thermal paste, but that's optional.

Yea, but that's not included in builds because of how common windows piracy is and linuix. Up to you on that end.

You can drop your cpu temp by 5 degrees Fahrenheit if you get some cheap thermal paste, but that's optional.
    So I modified the build and added this case because it had ports on the front. Was that a smart move or nah?

It bothers me that this is shown on all my posts.

So I modified the build and added this case because it had ports on the front. Was that a smart move or nah?
    I've actually built a computer inside that case before. The inside wasnt really too bad, but the material just felt a bit... cheap. Go with one of the higher priced cases. When you build a computer the case is something that stays with you throughout all your upgrades, so make sure you get a good one.
    'A man with a gun can control 100 that have none.'

Quote Originally Posted by Lain View Post
    I've actually built a computer inside that case before. The inside wasnt really too bad, but the material just felt a bit... cheap. Go with one of the higher priced cases. When you build a computer the case is something that stays with you throughout all your upgrades, so make sure you get a good one.
    Are there any others with ports on the front that aren't cheap (material-wise)? I sorta need front-side ports if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post

AMD GC actually has a better $$$erformance ratio + 8GB vram of GC for only $350 bucks ( referring to r9 390x )... Yes, NVIDIA has a 12GB vram of GC ( GTX Titan X ) but it costs about $1000.
    Dude, he said 16 but 32GB is recommended. I said you need 8-16GB. I mean, even if he's playing games, he never specified which sorts of games so I mean, we could be rendering and playing an Indie title, so it's kind of hard to decide actually how much he needs. 16GB should be the right amount for editing.

I know, AMD does have better P - 2 - P but it's the heat dissipation and the thermal that turn people away from these cards. However, Polaris will definitely change that.

The rest of your build budget should actually go towards either a case or a PSU, because those are both crucial factors as these will stick with you for most of your PC life, so get those. The newest architecture is good, but to be honest, Haswell is just fine for this sort of build. No need to go crazy on the specs. i7 can edit videos faster, BUT, and this is only my PoV, but the extra $100 does not seem worth it for some faster loading times in rendering. Unless we are deducting hours from the render time, it's not worth it. However, that's just my 2 cents.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Spotlight View Post
    32gb is way overkill, 16gb may even be too much.
    For his budget I would reccomend a 120gb ssd for the OS and a hard drive for everything else.
    No need for an I7 necessarily, I would run with a skylake or 5th gen i5.
    See, you don't really need Skylake as the performance increase from say, Devil's Canyon or Haswell just isn't worth it.

Have a chart(s) for my point:

It bothers me that this is shown on all my posts.

Are there any others with ports on the front that aren't cheap (material-wise)? I sorta need front-side ports if possible.
    There are many.

Ports on the top-front
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...g&gclsrc=aw.ds
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...&gclsrc=aw.ds\
    Ports on the front:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...D=3938566&SID=
    Ports in the front-middle:
    'A man with a gun can control 100 that have none.'

@peck So I made this new list. Since the new case I selected comes with a fan, should I ditch the old one?

(idk I probably am totally wrong.)

Master Sorcerer

@peck So I made this new list. Since the new case I selected comes with a fan, should I ditch the old one?

(idk I probably am totally wrong.)
    Most cases come with fans, even if they dont, the best case fans areally only $20. I don't like spending more than $80 on a case because even if it "feels cheap" the purpose is to have something to screw your parts into and give the most benefit along side.

Maybe you'll like this case, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811352021
    Two hydraulic fans, lots of room, supposedly noise cancelling.

Most cases come with fans, even if they dont, the best case fans areally only $20. I don't like spending more than $80 on a case because even if it "feels cheap" the purpose is to have something to screw your parts into and give the most benefit along side.
    Alright. I guess I'll stick with the original build. I won't be buying it until May at the earliest... are you thinking about adding anything else?

Master Sorcerer

Alright. I guess I'll stick with the original build. I won't be buying it until May at the earliest... are you thinking about adding anything else?
    You should be aiming for craft3d's modified version of my build
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qmmc3C

You should be aiming for craft3d's modified version of my build
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qmmc3C
    Right. I've got it bookmarked. (:

ok your going to need scissors and a box of raisins follow my instructions carefully or youll die