Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: do you think this is fair?

Default do you think this is fair?

so my best friend got her hat taken away today. the school rule says no hats are to be worn during school hours, but simply holding it or having it with you is ok. either way, this really REALLY obnoxious teacher told her she's taking it, regardless of the fact my friend wasn't even wearing it when this happened. my friend is told to take her hat off all the time but, shouldn't the first offense of having something taken only be for the rest of the school day? this teacher is straight up REFUSING to give it back. i asked the teacher if my friend will get the hat back, the teacher says she might not which made me so mad i was shaking. my friend starts swearing and i started feeling REALLY bad for her because she paid for the hat with her own money and the school is telling her she can't have it back. this teacher is annoying like that and she treats a LOT of students like that, especially students she doesn't even know.

so later in the day, around our 8th period, she goes to my friend in the hall and asks if she knows how many times she was asked to take her hat off. my friend says she doesn't know, and the teacher says she shouldn't get it back because she doesn't know. what, is she supposed to be keeping tally marks on her hand to say how many times she was told to put her hat away? get a new tattoo every time? STUPID. which is why i really hate the teachers in my school.

the rule for cell phones in my school is:

1st offence: taken for the day
    2nd offence: taken for the week
    3rd offence +: taken for the year

and those can be counted as cheating devices. for a hat, it's so much less of a big deal that it should only be taken for the day since is the first time she's had it taken.

and the worst part, is that we're on break until next tuesday which is why i think the teacher took it. that way my friends mom cant come in and swear the teacher out, which i KNOW my friend's mom would do. i've been to her house enough times.

what do you think? is this fair or unfair?

UPDATE: i looked online for said teacher's website. i know what room she teaches in and i know what period, it's just that literally NONE of the teachers have their images posted to my school's website.

well we can look at both sides. There are rules that are to be followed at all times. It seems based on your story that your friend did go according to the rules at one point. This Teacher who took it has no right to keep it for herself. If you have issues with a teacher it's best to arrange a meeting with the principal. This is morally wrong, although the teacher may hold the hat temporarily it doesn't mean she has the right to hold it permanently. Just go talk with the principal as I said earlier. Hopefully this is issue is resolved.
    Goals

MY Poems

Quotes
    #MakeGrowtopiaGreatAgain
    http://www.rtsoft.com/forums/showthr...-something-BIG!

Quote Originally Posted by Metalwire View Post
    well we can look at both sides. There are rules that are to be followed at all times. It seems based on your story that your friend did go according to the rules at one point. This Teacher who took it has no right to keep it for herself. If you have issues with a teacher it's best to arrange a meeting with the principal. This is morally wrong, although the teacher may hold the hat temporarily it doesn't mean she has the right to hold it permanently. Just go talk with the principal as I said earlier. Hopefully this is issue is resolved.
    my friend didn't text me back but she said she's going to get her mom to go into the school and talk to them. hopefully she'll get her stuff back.

In my totally secret farm world punching guytraps :3

Definitely not fair. Like you said, your friend paid for the hat with her own money, so the teacher has no right to keep it.
    REGISORD

Quote Originally Posted by SilversoulX View Post
    Farming is like working in real life, you spend your effort and time to finish it and make profit.

In my opinion, this is absolutely nowhere near fair, and needs to be discussed with a head of guidance, or someone of greater authority. No matter how many times a student has been asked to take off his/her hat, I don't believe the teacher has the right to take a students possessions, especially when they put time and effort into making the money to pay for the hat.
    Sure, maybe the teacher was aggravated that your friend has been asked to put it away multiple times, and I understand if she has it taken away, but only during school hours. With the phone example you brought up, you mentioned how they can be used as devices for cheating, and I 100% agree with the punishments there, but (like you said) a phone and a hat are completely different things.
    Furthermore, your friend was not wearing the hat at the time of the teacher getting mad at her, so that alone is a reason to be brought up if it's discussed with the teacher. Unless she made a new rule about hats not being allowed in hands, I don't see the issue with carrying it around. If the hat alone is her issue, and if your friend really has been called upon multiple times, why doesn't she just simply send her outside, and ask her to put the hat there, and to only get it when school is over.

I personally have have way too many issues over my middle school years with teachers being ignorant and incredibly biased and unfair towards some, but very lenient with others, so this was written fuelled by the anger that I have had with these simple issues. Too many teachers are taking small "crimes" to the extreme and in time I realized that all you need is a strong group of students to stand up to the teacher and to tell him/her that what they are doing is wrong, and that you are being hurt by it.

In the same way, try to get a few friends together, go to the teacher after class and talk about the issues you are having with who she is treating students, rather the silly hat policy she has implemented, and how she has gotten one student not only angry, but deeply saddened by the thought of losing something they've bought with their own money. Try getting parents involved, and if this is a re-occuring issue, or if you notice this particular teacher being biased against a certain group of people (doesn't have to be sexist, racist, it can simply be being lenient to an entire class except for maybe 5 students), then make sure you mention it to a trusted adult (preferably your parents or a principal), and have a small conference with the teacher. Like I mentioned before explain that what she did was hypocritical (your friend was simply holding the hat, not even wearing it) and that she would like to get the hat back for reasons already mentioned.

A lot of school rules need to be changed, and this is a simple one. As I've already mentioned, sure having a phone out can be used for malicious efforts, but I never saw ANYONE have an issue, or get harmed by a hat. Unless teachers give proper reasons for enforcing rules as such, and unless your friend has hurt anyone with that hat (which I 100% doubt) I don't see why even wearing a hat should go against school policies.
    IGN: TWEETIFY
    Quote Originally Posted by JK Rowling
    “It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all."

Quote Originally Posted by REGISORD View Post
    Definitely not fair. Like you said, your friend paid for the hat with her own money, so the teacher has no right to keep it.
    that's what i said. however, this teacher believes she has ALL THE POWER. apparently she's like this to all students. she wrote some kid up today. this kid is a troublemaker but a LOT of students don't like her. i'm trying to find her on ratemyteachers.com.

Why would they ban hats at school anyway?
    IGN : Lavaloid

imo it isnt fair that we have to read that font
    i'm parpul =

Quote Originally Posted by ianCSzz View Post
    honestly, i have no idea. at my tech school they're perfectly okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Tweety6ird View Post
    In my opinion, this is absolutely nowhere near fair, and needs to be discussed with a head of guidance, or someone of greater authority. No matter how many times a student has been asked to take off his/her hat, I don't believe the teacher has the right to take a students possessions, especially when they put time and effort into making the money to pay for the hat.
    Sure, maybe the teacher was aggravated that your friend has been asked to put it away multiple times, and I understand if she has it taken away, but only during school hours. With the phone example you brought up, you mentioned how they can be used as devices for cheating, and I 100% agree with the punishments there, but (like you said) a phone and a hat are completely different things.
    Furthermore, your friend was not wearing the hat at the time of the teacher getting mad at her, so that alone is a reason to be brought up if it's discussed with the teacher. Unless she made a new rule about hats not being allowed in hands, I don't see the issue with carrying it around. If the hat alone is her issue, and if your friend really has been called upon multiple times, why doesn't she just simply send her outside, and ask her to put the hat there, and to only get it when school is over.

I personally have have way too many issues over my middle school years with teachers being ignorant and incredibly biased and unfair towards some, but very lenient with others, so this was written fuelled by the anger that I have had with these simple issues. Too many teachers are taking small "crimes" to the extreme and in time I realized that all you need is a strong group of students to stand up to the teacher and to tell him/her that what they are doing is wrong, and that you are being hurt by it.

In the same way, try to get a few friends together, go to the teacher after class and talk about the issues you are having with who she is treating students, rather the silly hat policy she has implemented, and how she has gotten one student not only angry, but deeply saddened by the thought of losing something they've bought with their own money. Try getting parents involved, and if this is a re-occuring issue, or if you notice this particular teacher being biased against a certain group of people (doesn't have to be sexist, racist, it can simply be being lenient to an entire class except for maybe 5 students), then make sure you mention it to a trusted adult (preferably your parents or a principal), and have a small conference with the teacher. Like I mentioned before explain that what she did was hypocritical (your friend was simply holding the hat, not even wearing it) and that she would like to get the hat back for reasons already mentioned.

A lot of school rules need to be changed, and this is a simple one. As I've already mentioned, sure having a phone out can be used for malicious efforts, but I never saw ANYONE have an issue, or get harmed by a hat. Unless teachers give proper reasons for enforcing rules as such, and unless your friend has hurt anyone with that hat (which I 100% doubt) I don't see why even wearing a hat should go against school policies.
    if she could have hurt someone with a hat, she would have already. it's an assassin's creed hat, and that's like her favorite thing ever. i see why she's upset, because it's ac AND she paid for it.

this teacher is making up rules as she goes along. i CHECKED the school handbook, NOWHERE does it say teachers can confiscate a hat. a cell phone? that's in there and can be taken away, which is understandable. a HAT? the only thing it says is students can't be WEARING them during school hours which is between 7:40 and 2:53. my friend wasn't wearing it to begin with. she was in a really bad mood all day since then and i feel really awful for her since she did nothing wrong.

my school doesnt allow candy we have to hide it in our room is our clothing

#RECRYPGIVEAWAY
    Quote Originally Posted by Phanton
    I like your profile picture it's so cuteeee
    Been wanting to say it for a long time, finally decided to tell you today

I AM A BOY

dis happens to hackers ^
    ヽ༼ಠ_ಠ༽ノ

Quote Originally Posted by lolgal96 View Post
    so my best friend got her hat taken away today. the school rule says no hats are to be worn during school hours, but simply holding it or having it with you is ok. either way, this really REALLY obnoxious teacher told her she's taking it, regardless of the fact my friend wasn't even wearing it when this happened. my friend is told to take her hat off all the time but, shouldn't the first offense of having something taken only be for the rest of the school day? this teacher is straight up REFUSING to give it back. i asked the teacher if my friend will get the hat back, the teacher says she might not which made me so mad i was shaking. my friend starts swearing and i started feeling REALLY bad for her because she paid for the hat with her own money and the school is telling her she can't have it back. this teacher is annoying like that and she treats a LOT of students like that, especially students she doesn't even know.

so later in the day, around our 8th period, she goes to my friend in the hall and asks if she knows how many times she was asked to take her hat off. my friend says she doesn't know, and the teacher says she shouldn't get it back because she doesn't know. what, is she supposed to be keeping tally marks on her hand to say how many times she was told to put her hat away? get a new tattoo every time? STUPID. which is why i really hate the teachers in my school.

the rule for cell phones in my school is:

1st offence: taken for the day
    2nd offence: taken for the week
    3rd offence +: taken for the year

and those can be counted as cheating devices. for a hat, it's so much less of a big deal that it should only be taken for the day since is the first time she's had it taken.

and the worst part, is that we're on break until next tuesday which is why i think the teacher took it. that way my friends mom cant come in and swear the teacher out, which i KNOW my friend's mom would do. i've been to her house enough times.

what do you think? is this fair or unfair?
    First off, please keep a reader-friendly font.
    As for the thread, it really depends. I can't say anything because I do not know who this teacher is and who your friend is. I'm sure there is more to the story aswell. If there isn't more, I would say the teacher is a rough one but it is in her full abilities to confiscate the hat as it is a school law.
    - When you argue with an idiot, you become one. -

Do not worry we have that kind of teacher in our school, and i know its unfair for you and your friend to get their belongings taken away even though you're following the rules. Just talk to the principal.
    Im just a noob so im quitting. Bye!
    (Started being a forumer in Summers of 2013)
    Thanks Natedash.

Quote Originally Posted by lolgal96 View Post
    honestly, i have no idea. at my tech school they're perfectly okay.

if she could have hurt someone with a hat, she would have already. it's an assassin's creed hat, and that's like her favorite thing ever. i see why she's upset, because it's ac AND she paid for it.

this teacher is making up rules as she goes along. i CHECKED the school handbook, NOWHERE does it say teachers can confiscate a hat. a cell phone? that's in there and can be taken away, which is understandable. a HAT? the only thing it says is students can't be WEARING them during school hours which is between 7:40 and 2:53. my friend wasn't wearing it to begin with. she was in a really bad mood all day since then and i feel really awful for her since she did nothing wrong.
    That's exactly what I mean. If that hat has done nothing to hurt or offend anyone why is it being taken away? If the rule is not stated in the book, then yes, for sure have her parents approach the teacher about it, because thats not how the school rules are supposed to work.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tonsy View Post
    As for the thread, it really depends. I can't say anything because I do not know who this teacher is and who your friend is. I'm sure there is more to the story aswell. If there isn't more, I would say the teacher is a rough one but it is in her full abilities to confiscate the hat as it is a school law.
    To an extent. I beg to differ, as there is no way the teacher has the authority to take away a students hat forever UNLESS (as I have said before) the hat has been used against someone. Sounds silly but unless she walked someone with it, I don't see a reason why a teacher is allowed to take it away. As well, the rule is not even in the rule book, so under no circumstance should that teacher have the right to confiscate the hat forever. Possibly for a smaller time period, but not to take it from her and not give it back.
    IGN: TWEETIFY
    Quote Originally Posted by JK Rowling
    “It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all."

Quote Originally Posted by Tonsy View Post
    better?

either way, it ISN'T a school rule to take someone's hat. i read that section in the handbook. "students are asked not to wear hats during school hours. please have them away during the day". so basically, you can have them with you, just can't wear them.

and there's NOTHING in there about taking hats. it's part of the dress code. if someone violates the dress code they don't take away their shorts permanently. in fact, the dress code is so ignored that it's violated EVERY DAY and no one does a thing about it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Crypts View Post
    Do not worry we have that kind of teacher in our school, and i know its unfair for you and your friend to get their belongings taken away even though you're following the rules. Just talk to the principal.
    we're on break. this teacher is probably making up some bogus story about how bad my friend was but we had SEVERAL witnesses to show she wasn't even wearing the hat. i'm making it available for my friend to call me and a few of our other friends so the school can know that she was not wearing the hat, but just holding it.

and the teacher can't take the hat permanently. my best friend said she either wants them to pay for the hat or give her the hat back. one or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by ianCSzz View Post
    Hats are also banned in my school, no wearing them in class.

At least, that teacher should just take it for a day or two, and not forever... that's like "omg i want the hat lets wait until she wears it so i can take it kkk" villain plan type lol.
    "Trust is like a paper, once it's crumpled, it can't be perfect again."

If you're lost for some reason, my forumers' exclusive VIP password is StarboardFTW. Some guy thought this was still the Growtopia forums, so I'll still put this here.

usted loco idiotic también conocido como un pedófilo para salir aquí usted enredadera

This Is unfair why? Ur friend bought it for money! and if she doesnt get it that means the teacher scammed her money! and guess what? Ur friend wasted money on that hat! In My Class People who wear hoods doesnt get their hoodies taken but instead they will say"it isnt even raining inside"
    Even Hats! Even Shades and more accessories so i confirm ur teacher or her/his teacher

UNFAIR

This isnt even right ur friend wasted money on That hat
    OM OM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM

sorrynotsorry

i post 2 times here per day

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix234 View Post
    This Is unfair why? Ur friend bought it for money! and if she doesnt get it that means the teacher scammed her money! and guess what? Ur friend wasted money on that hat! In My Class People who wear hoods doesnt get their hoodies taken but instead they will say"it isnt even raining inside"
    Even Hats! Even Shades and more accessories so i confirm ur teacher or her/his teacher

UNFAIR

This isnt even right ur friend wasted money on That hat
    it's likely because we're tech kids. tech kids aren't exactly treated nicely by home school teachers. they act like we're only there to get out of gym, or because we're too stupid, which is incredibly untrue since i'm in a very high english class and i'm also doing well in all of my classes.

i checked the school handbook and violators of the dress code are to have their items sent home with their parents. like, for shorts, the student is supposed to have their mom or dad called in to bring a change of pants, have the kid change, and have the shorts sent home. it's part of the dress code so it should be treated as such.

my friend is demanding either money comp from the school or her hat back, whichever they feel like doing. i hope this teacher gets in trouble for doing this.

Yeah, that's really unfair.

Hats aren't allowed at our school either, and they will be taken away if worn but returned at the end of the day to the student. That teacher is really unfair and mean. Putting aside the fact that she bought it with her money, to take it away and refuse to give it back is kind of against the Constitution. Although this isn't searching, there's a thing called reasonable cause. For example, specific suspicious activity. Your friend had not done anything suspicious so there should be no reason.

I would put more here but it seems I don't have a lot of time to spend on the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Tohru View Post
    Yeah, that's really unfair.

Hats aren't allowed at our school either, and they will be taken away if worn but returned at the end of the day to the student. That teacher is really unfair and mean. Putting aside the fact that she bought it with her money, to take it away and refuse to give it back is kind of against the Constitution. Although this isn't searching, there's a thing called reasonable cause. For example, specific suspicious activity. Your friend had not done anything suspicious so there should be no reason.

I would put more here but it seems I don't have a lot of time to spend on the forums.
    my friend said she's going to have her mom call the school to ask them about it. she tried having her other friend get the hat from the office at the end of the day, but that didn't work out. my friend can't exactly leave to go to the office at the end of the day because she'll be too late to her bus. she is here pretty early in the morning, so hopefully that means she'll get it back on tuesday when we go back from break.