Thread: Compiling with MinGW

Default Compiling with MinGW

I have been trying unsuccessfully for a few days to get ClanLib to compile using MinGW and GCC. I have been able to find tutorials on how to build it with MinGW, but all of them are for old versions of ClanLib, and no longer work. I was wondering of anyone has been able to get the latest version of ClanLib to compile with MinGW, and if so, what did you have to do?

Thanks
    -Kit

I've made it up to the display part of ClanLib using Mingw (GCC 4.5), but I can't for the life of me figure out to to disable X11 from the system, or find X11 libraries I believe will work.
    Last edited by B. Marquis; 01-12-2011 at 08:51 PM. Reason: To elaborate on the compiler used, to be certain I am using mingw

ClanLib Developer

No active ClanLib developers use MinGW. I belived ClanLib 1.x works, but ClanLib 2.x does not.

I don't know why, and don't know how difficult it will be to fix

It was fairly easy. Most of the reason it wouldn't compile was oversight. I changed it in such a way that it does minimal editing to code, and I managed to compile all in the API App, and Core directories. However, I can't seem to figure out why it insists of compiling the Display/X11 folder, which, I saw by simple manipulating, is the only reason I'm not finished compiling the Display folder.

Making all in Display
    make[2]: Entering directory `c:/Users/Owner/Development/Libraries/ClanLib-2.2.5/Sources/Display'
    if C:/msys/1.0/bin/sh.exe ../../libtool --tag=CXX --mode=compile g++ -DPACKAGE_NAME=\"ClanLib\" -DPACKAGE_TARNAME=\"clanlib\" -DPACKAGE_VERSION=\"2.2.5\" -DPACKAGE_STRING=\"ClanLib\ 2.2.5\" -DPACKAGE_
    BUGREPORT=\"\" -DPACKAGE=\"clanlib\" -DVERSION=\"2.2.5\" -DSTDC_HEADERS=1 -DHAVE_SYS_TYPES_H=1 -DHAVE_SYS_STAT_H=1 -DHAVE_STDLIB_H=1 -DHAVE_STRING_H=1 -DHAVE_MEMORY_H=1 -DHAVE_STRINGS_H=1 -DHAVE_INTTY
    PES_H=1 -DHAVE_STDINT_H=1 -DHAVE_UNISTD_H=1 -DSTDC_HEADERS=1 -DHAVE_STDBOOL_H=1 -DHAVE_UNISTD_H=1 -DHAVE_FCNTL_H=1 -DEXTERN___PROGNAME=1 -DHAVE_LIBZ=1 -I. -I. -DUNICODE -msse2 -I/mingw/incl
    ude/freetype2 -I/mingw/include -I/mingw/include -I../../Sources -MT X11/libclan22Display_la-x11_window.lo -MD -MP -MF "X11/.deps/libclan22Display_la-x11_window.Tpo" -c -o X11/libclan22Display_la-
    x11_window.lo `test -f 'X11/x11_window.cpp' || echo './'`X11/x11_window.cpp; \
    then mv -f "X11/.deps/libclan22Display_la-x11_window.Tpo" "X11/.deps/libclan22Display_la-x11_window.Plo"; else rm -f "X11/.deps/libclan22Display_la-x11_window.Tpo"; exit 1; fi
    g++ -DPACKAGE_NAME=\"ClanLib\" -DPACKAGE_TARNAME=\"clanlib\" -DPACKAGE_VERSION=\"2.2.5\" "-DPACKAGE_STRING=\"ClanLib 2.2.5\"" -DPACKAGE_BUGREPORT=\"\" -DPACKAGE=\"clanlib\" -DVERSION=\"2.2.5\" -DSTDC
    _HEADERS=1 -DHAVE_SYS_TYPES_H=1 -DHAVE_SYS_STAT_H=1 -DHAVE_STDLIB_H=1 -DHAVE_STRING_H=1 -DHAVE_MEMORY_H=1 -DHAVE_STRINGS_H=1 -DHAVE_INTTYPES_H=1 -DHAVE_STDINT_H=1 -DHAVE_UNISTD_H=1 -DSTDC_HEADERS=1 -D
    HAVE_STDBOOL_H=1 -DHAVE_UNISTD_H=1 -DHAVE_FCNTL_H=1 -DEXTERN___PROGNAME=1 -DHAVE_LIBZ=1 -I. -I. -DUNICODE -msse2 -I/mingw/include/freetype2 -I/mingw/include -I/mingw/include -I../../Sources -MT X11/li
    bclan22Display_la-x11_window.lo -MD -MP -MF X11/.deps/libclan22Display_la-x11_window.Tpo -c X11/x11_window.cpp -o X11/libclan22Display_la-x11_window.o
    In file included from X11/x11_window.h:45:0,
    from X11/x11_window.cpp:44:
    X11/clipboard_x11.h:31:22: fatal error: X11/Xlib.h: No such file or directory
    compilation terminated.
    make[2]: *** [X11/libclan22Display_la-x11_window.lo] Error 1
    make[2]: Leaving directory `c:/Users/Owner/Development/Libraries/ClanLib-2.2.5/Sources/Display'
    make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `c:/Users/Owner/Development/Libraries/ClanLib-2.2.5/Sources'
    make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

Default ClanLib-2.2.6_mingw-4.5.2.patch

ClanLib-2.2.6_mingw-4.5.2.patch

Here's what's promised. This patch will allow you to compile ClanLib-2.2.6 with Mingw-4.5.2. This patch can also be used normally with the other compilers as you see fit, but since this is an experimental patch, I do not recommend patching for any purpose other than to experiment or to help fix bugs.

Right now, known problems are as follows:
    • The following files are required but is not available in MinGW-4.5.2
      1. MsTCIP.h
      2. nldef.h
      3. intrin.h (But can be commented out)
      4. dinput.h
      5. dbghlp.h
    • SwRender, GL, and GL1 is incomplete. Attempting to compile using either will result in the following compiler errors:
      • SWRender:
        • undefined reference to `CL_Win32Window::CL_Win32Window()'
        • undefined reference to `CL_Win32Window::~CL_Win32Window()'
        • undefined reference to `CL_Win32Window::get_geometry() const'
        • undefined reference to `CL_Win32Window::get_viewport() const'
        • undefined reference to `CL_Win32Window::has_focus() const'
        • undefined reference to `CL_Win32Window::is_minimized() const'
        • undefined reference to `CL_Win32Window::is_maximized() const'
        • undefined reference to `CL_Win32Window::is_visible() const'
        • undefined reference to `CL_Win32Window::is_clipboard_text_available() const'
        • undefined reference to `CL_Win32Window::is_clipboard_image_available() const'
        • undefined reference to `CL_Win32Window::get_minimum_size(bool) const'
        • undefined reference to `CL_Win32Window::get_maximum_size(bool) const'
        • undefined reference to `CL_Win32Window::get_title() const'
        • undefined reference to `CL_Win32Window::client_to_screen(CL_Point const&)'
        • undefined reference to `CL_Win32Window::screen_to_client(CL_Point const&)'
        • undefined reference to `CL_Win32Window::capture_mouse(bool)'
        • undefined reference to `CL_Win32Window::create(CL_DisplayWindowSite*, CL_DisplayWindowDescription const&)'
        • undefined reference to `CL_Win32Window::show_system_cursor()'
        • undefined reference to `CL_CursorProvider_Win32::CL_CursorProvider_Win32( CL_SpriteDescription const&, CL_Point const&)'
        • undefined reference to `CL_Win32Window::set_cursor(CL_CursorProvider_Win3 2*)'
        • undefined reference to `CL_Win32Window::set_cursor(CL_StandardCursor)'
        • undefined reference to `CL_Win32Window::hide_system_cursor()'
        • undefined reference to `CL_Win32Window::set_title(CL_StringRef8 const&)'
        • undefined reference to `CL_Win32Window::set_position(CL_Rect const&, bool)'
        • undefined reference to `CL_Win32Window::set_size(int, int, bool)'
        • undefined reference to `CL_Win32Window::set_minimum_size(int, int, bool)'
        • undefined reference to `CL_Win32Window::set_maximum_size(int, int, bool)'
        • undefined reference to `CL_Win32Window::set_enabled(bool)'
        • undefined reference to `CL_Win32Window::minimize()'
        • undefined reference to `CL_Win32Window::restore()'
        • undefined reference to `CL_Win32Window::maximize()'
        • undefined reference to `CL_Win32Window::show(bool)'
        • undefined reference to `CL_Win32Window::hide()'
        • undefined reference to `CL_Win32Window::bring_to_front()'
        • undefined reference to `CL_Win32Window::set_clipboard_text(CL_StringRef8 const&)'
        • undefined reference to `CL_Win32Window::set_clipboard_image(CL_PixelBuffe r const&)'
        • undefined reference to `CL_Win32Window::get_clipboard_text() const'
        • undefined reference to `CL_Win32Window::get_clipboard_image() const'
        • undefined reference to `CL_Win32Window::request_repaint(CL_Rect const&)'
        • undefined reference to `CL_Win32Window::set_large_icon(CL_PixelBuffer const&)'
        • undefined reference to `CL_Win32Window::set_small_icon(CL_PixelBuffer const&)'
      • GL1
        • undefined reference to `CL_GL1WindowProvider_WGL::CL_GL1WindowProvider_WG L()'
      • GL
        • undefined reference to `CL_SetupGL::CL_SetupGL()'
        • undefined reference to `CL_SetupGL::~CL_SetupGL()'
        • undefined reference to `CL_SetupGL::~CL_SetupGL()'
    • Core shows unidentified references to _imp__SymInitialize@12, _imp__SymGetSymFromAddr64@20, _imp__SymGetLineFromAddr64@20, _imp__SymCleanup@4. A quick alternative is to link libimagehlp.a
    • The X11 Libraries need to be commented out as well as the unix-made headers in the makefiles.

Red face

Update on the project.

It seems the reason I get all those errors is because of the makefile.am files. Some of the files don't give conditionals to add win32 libraries, which is highly understandable, since I downloaded the linux version. By manually adding the Win32 files in makefile.am and running automake, I've managed to save a lot of time.

I still have a ways to go. I've managed to compile some of the examples, some of them when executed crashed immediately, so there's still work to be done.

ClanLib Developer

Nice work

Another minor update.

I still cannot find out why can't some programs work, but by using compatibility mode, I noticed that the latest OS the examples will work flawlessly is Windows 98.

ClanLib Developer

That's strange! I wonder what compatibility mode actually does

That's a good question. I could not find an in-depth look at compatibility mode. So, I decided to just debug it.

The problem lies in memory allocation. I implemented a way to allow MinGW to switch between _aligned_alloc and __mingw_aligned_alloc depending on __MSVCRT_VERSION__... but I did not do the same for free, so it's trying to free() allocated memory from a different module, and due to the difference between how msvcrt.dll and libmingwex.a allocates and frees it, causing a SEGFAULT.

It's almost done. I just need to troubleshoot the SWRender. Afterwards, it's finishing the documentation and changes, compressing it, and storing it somewhere for the general public.

ClanLib Developer

Feel free to post a patch here

ClanLib 1.0 (0.8) used to have mingw support.

It was left to stagnate in ClanLib 2.x, since nobody used it.

Is it good to use my browser. I used $ diff -urbdB ClanLib-2.2.6 ClanLib-2.2.6-mingw > ClanLib-2.2.6-mingw.patch and all I can get it in is 1.51 MB, way to large for the upload limit for this forum.

ClanLib Developer

Try zipping it afterward.