Thread: CL_SoundBuffer_Session default constructor has no impl

Default CL_SoundBuffer_Session default constructor has no impl

I ran into a crash which I debugged into the fact that the CL_SoundBuffer_Session default constructor doesn't build an impl. Without an impl, most of the member funcs will crash. Furthermore, afaict there's no way to test a CL_SoundBuffer_Session instance for whether it has its "guts" filled in.

Now, I can code around this prob pretty easily in my app. Question is, why not make the default constructor usage-safe, or perhaps disallow default construction?

ClanLib Developer

Good question.

You can think of all ClanLib objects as handles.

So for example:

CL_SoundBuffer_Session session_1;
    CL_SoundBuffer_Session session_2 = build_soundbuffer_session()

session_1 is not initialised
    session_2 contains the handle to the object (maybe shared).

Numerious clanlib objects (for example CL_Texture) contains an is_null() to determine if an implementation exists. But not all objects do. Because clanlib developers are lazy

1) You cannot disallow default construction, as it would break clanlib (because we treat objects as shared handles)

2) You could make the clanlib class usage-safe, by adding "if (impl.is_null()) throw CL_Exception("Not initialised") everywhere. (Only enabled in the debug build). But this is boring to write And maybe not worth the effort.

3) Add "is_null()" to all objects, so client code can handle the case.

ClanLib Developer

The proper solution is to add both is_null() and add a throw_if_null() guard at the entrance of each function.

It is missing simply because it was boring to code and considered not that important back in the day. It is clearly a mistake that this was left out, since a thrown exception here is far more preferable than a call stack from a crash deep within ClanLib. If someone contributes a patch that does this checking that would be greatly appreciated.

I personally disagree with the notion that such a check should only be performed in debug builds. In my opinion there should be an actual real life profile report showing a performance problem with such a check before it is left out from release builds. Even for release builds you want your application to crash early in order to improve the quality of your post mortem debugging reports. Plus you'd much rather have your customer call you with "Your application displayed a message box saying CL_SoundBuffer_Session is null" than him saying "your application crashed".

Quote Originally Posted by rombust View Post
    Good question.

3) Add "is_null()" to all objects, so client code can handle the case.
    This'll do just fine. If I add it to my tree, will it show up in future clanlib releases? If not, I have to be careful about upgrading. (I'll have to be careful anyway, as I already have a highly tweaked clanlib tree.)

Thanks again.

ClanLib Developer

For the changes to become official, you will have to send us a patch so we can apply it on our subversion repository.

ClanLib Developer

I do not like adding a throw_if_null() guard at the entrance of each function.

It would create safer code, but I am not convinced that it is required for C++ style applications.

For something like, CL_Texture's get_width(), I see it as an unnecessary performance penalty. (If drawing 1000's of textures for example)

imo, the application code (or clanlib internal code) should be (when required):
    Code:
    void myfunction()
    {
      if (texture.is_null() ) throw CL_Exception("Panic");
      do_something_cool(texture.get_width(), texture.get_height())
      texture.set_some_options(...)
      texture.set_other_options(...)
    }

ClanLib Developer

I have added is_null() and throw_if_null() to all relevent classes.
    (Note, nothing currently calls throw_if_null() at the moment)