Thread: Hard Freeze

Default Hard Freeze

Hello, everyone. This is my first post in this community.

I've been reading about ClanLib lately and decided to use it for a hobby project I'm working on.

Thing is, I just compiled it today, compiled a few examples (namely, Pacman and SpriteRTS) and all of them, after a random amount of time (tried around 5 times each), end up in a hard lock of the whole computer.

This is with ClanLib 2.1.1, configured under Ubuntu Linux 9.10 simply with ./configure --prefix=/usr and module check list at the end of configure is:

The following modules will be built:

clanGL = yes
    clanGL1 = yes
    clanApp = yes
    clanDatabase = yes
    clanRegExp = yes
    clanSqlite = yes
    clanGUI = yes
    clanGDI = yes
    clanCore = yes
    clanSound = yes (ALSA Enabled)
    clanNetwork = yes
    clanDisplay = yes (Linux Joystick Enabled) (Linux Input Enabled)
    clanMikmod = yes
    clanVorbis = yes
    I couldn't find anyway to debug the situation to come up with more useful information. Can anyone help me finding what's the issue here? I'm already in the proccess of installing a different linux distribution to check it out (what can I say, I don't really trust Ubuntu all that much... going back to test it on good old Arch)

I thank you for your time, and apologize if this is not the right place to post this kind of bug-report/cry-for-help. If so, please point me to the right place.

ClanLib Developer

The most likely cause of your problem (besides faulty hardware) is that the display driver causes your system to freeze.

ClanLib attempts to use as modern OpenGL as it can get away with, which means that the clanGL target uses shaders for its rendering and not the obsolete deprecated fixed function pipeline. Unfortunately it has revealed that some display drivers under Linux have some rather fatal bugs which could cause what you have seen.

So my recommendation would be to try find out if there's a newer driver for your card and try install that one. Alternatively you can try and switch the examples to use the GL1 or SWRender (aka GDI in 2.1) targets instead. You do this by replacing the line CL_SetupGL with CL_SetupGL1 or CL_SetupGDI. These other targets does not support all of the features of clanDisplay, but they could help you confirm that its an issue with the display driver.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus Norddahl View Post
    Alternatively you can try and switch the examples to use the GL1 or SWRender (aka GDI in 2.1) targets instead. You do this by replacing the line CL_SetupGL with CL_SetupGL1 or CL_SetupGDI. These other targets does not support all of the features of clanDisplay, but they could help you confirm that its an issue with the display driver.
    Thanks, Magnus. This solved my problem! I'm still having some (small) issues now, but I think it has more to do with my code than anything, and changing the renderer to GL1 made the original problem go away completely.