Thread: MinGW build fail: many "cannot convert 'const wchar_t*' to 'const CHAR*" errors

Default MinGW build fail: many "cannot convert 'const wchar_t*' to 'const CHAR*" errors

I've tried to build ClanLib 2.2.1 on msys + mingw (gcc 4.4.0, make 3.81), windows Xp SP3.

Several days I compiled needed libraries (for ex. SDL, libpng, zlib, fontconfig etc.)

And now during "./configure --prefix=/mingw --enable-static --disable-shared" execution I don't get warning messages except for
    1) ClanRegExp, because "pcre-config" can't be found in spite of pcre-mingw-7.9-bin and pcre-mingw-7.9-lib installed.
    2) ClanMikMod, because I don't want support of MikMod.

So, when I type in "make" command and go build crashes with such output:

g++ -DPACKAGE_NAME=\"ClanLib\" -DPACKAGE_TARNAME=\"clanlib\" -DPACKAGE_VERSION=
    \"2.2.1\" "-DPACKAGE_STRING=\"ClanLib 2.2.1\"" -DPACKAGE_BUGREPORT=\"\" -DPACKAG
    E=\"clanlib\" -DVERSION=\"2.2.1\" -DSTDC_HEADERS=1 -DHAVE_SYS_TYPES_H=1 -DHAVE_S
    YS_STAT_H=1 -DHAVE_STDLIB_H=1 -DHAVE_STRING_H=1 -DHAVE_MEMORY_H=1 -DHAVE_STRINGS
    _H=1 -DHAVE_INTTYPES_H=1 -DHAVE_STDINT_H=1 -DHAVE_UNISTD_H=1 -DSTDC_HEADERS=1 -D
    HAVE_STDBOOL_H=1 -DHAVE_UNISTD_H=1 -DHAVE_FCNTL_H=1 -DEXTERN___PROGNAME=1 -DHAVE
    _LIBZ=1 -I. -I. -msse2 -g -O2 -msse2 -I/usr/local/include/freetype2 -I/usr/local
    /include -I../../Sources -MT IOData/libclan22Core_la-directory.lo -MD -MP -MF IO
    Data/.deps/libclan22Core_la-directory.Tpo -c IOData/directory.cpp -o IOData/libc
    lan22Core_la-directory.o
    IOData/directory.cpp: In static member function 'static bool CL_Directory::creat
    e(const CL_String&)':
    IOData/directory.cpp:85: error: cannot convert 'const wchar_t*' to 'const CHAR*'
    for argument '1' to 'DWORD GetFullPathNameA(const CHAR*, DWORD, CHAR*, CHAR**)'

IOData/directory.cpp:97: error: cannot convert 'const wchar_t*' to 'const CHAR*'
    for argument '1' to 'DWORD GetFullPathNameA(const CHAR*, DWORD, CHAR*, CHAR**)'IOData/directory.cpp:111: error: cannot convert 'const wchar_t*' to 'const CHAR*
    ' for argument '1' to 'BOOL CreateDirectoryA(const CHAR*, _SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES*)
    '
    IOData/directory.cpp: In static member function 'static bool CL_Directory::remov
    e(const CL_String&, bool, bool)':
    IOData/directory.cpp:127: error: cannot convert 'const wchar_t*' to 'const CHAR*
    ' for argument '1' to 'DWORD GetFullPathNameA(const CHAR*, DWORD, CHAR*, CHAR**)
    '
    IOData/directory.cpp:139: error: cannot convert 'const wchar_t*' to 'const CHAR*
    ' for argument '1' to 'DWORD GetFullPathNameA(const CHAR*, DWORD, CHAR*, CHAR**)
    '
    IOData/directory.cpp:195: error: cannot convert 'const wchar_t*' to 'const CHAR*
    ' for argument '1' to 'BOOL DeleteFileA(const CHAR*)'
    IOData/directory.cpp:215: error: cannot convert 'const wchar_t*' to 'const CHAR*
    ' for argument '1' to 'BOOL RemoveDirectoryA(const CHAR*)'
    IOData/directory.cpp: In static member function 'static bool CL_Directory::set_c
    urrent(const CL_String&)':
    IOData/directory.cpp:224: error: cannot convert 'const wchar_t*' to 'const CHAR*
    ' for argument '1' to 'BOOL SetCurrentDirectoryA(const CHAR*)'
    IOData/directory.cpp: In static member function 'static CL_String CL_Directory::
    get_appdata(const CL_StringRef&, const CL_StringRef&, const CL_StringRef&, bool)
    ':
    IOData/directory.cpp:253: error: 'SHGFP_TYPE_DEFAULT' was not declared in this s
    cope
    IOData/directory.cpp:266: error: cannot convert 'const wchar_t*' to 'const CHAR*
    ' for argument '1' to 'BOOL CreateDirectoryA(const CHAR*, _SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES*)
    '
    IOData/directory.cpp: In static member function 'static CL_String CL_Directory::
    get_local_appdata(const CL_StringRef&, const CL_StringRef&, const CL_StringRef&,
    bool)':
    IOData/directory.cpp:316: error: 'SHGFP_TYPE_DEFAULT' was not declared in this s
    cope
    IOData/directory.cpp:329: error: cannot convert 'const wchar_t*' to 'const CHAR*
    '
    make[2]: *** [IOData/libclan22Core_la-directory.lo] Error 1
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/e/inst/pr/c/lib/gfx/ClanLib/ClanLib-2.2.1/Sources/C
    ore'
    make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/e/inst/pr/c/lib/gfx/ClanLib/ClanLib-2.2.1/Sources'
    make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    Any ideas, guys?

ClanLib Developer

It would appear that UNICODE is not defined. That then causes the Windows headers to chose the ANSI version of GetFullPathName instead of the unicode version.

Great idea! Thanks!
    So how to solve a problem?
    Where to define UNICODE?

ClanLib Developer

Have a look at configure.ac, it contains:

Code:
    case $target in
    	*cygwin* )
    		X11="no"
    		WIN32="yes"
    		CXXFLAGS="$CXXFLAGS -mno-cygwin -DWIN32"
    		;;
    	*mingw*)
    		X11="no"
    		WIN32="yes"
    		;;
    	*)
    		X11="yes"
    		WIN32="no"
    		;;
    esac
    I guess, add:
    CXXFLAGS="$CXXFLAGS -DWIN32 -DUNICODE"
    In the mingw switch

Note, you are you only person I know that is attempting to compile clanlib 2 using mingw Let us know how you get on