Thread: Newbie here where do/should i start?

Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    Hello everyone,

First off its great to be on this forum and going to be great chatting to everyone. If this post will be better somewhere else please let me know and i will move/change it where needed. Now i have been looking into developing games for a long time now, it all started off by playing games in all my free time i literally don't move away from the screen, you know when you are playing a game and thought "i would do that different! etc. Now i know these days game designing is getting easier and easier with more and more people getting into it. The person that made the Candy Crush has made millions from something so simple but i'm not in it for the money i just want to develop some simple games to begin with and then let my imagination run wild after that. I have been looking online for game design software for sale and found plenty of options but not sure what to go for, i will place some systems below and let me what you think. I was also looking into buying game development books to learn a little before i start but to be honest i am more of a practical learner, not really much of a reader and their is YouTube these days that answers most questions.

1. Unity3D
    2. XNA Games Studio
    3. Pygame
    4. UDK (Unreal Development Kit)
    5. RPG Maker XP

These are the 5 that i have been looking at but i am a beginner so maybe simpler the better or if there is a even a free downloadable game development software that i try out, would be a bonus. Any information/advice you guys can share with me will be greatly appreciated!!

Attachment 128382

Thanks guys
    Yes, this is the right subforum.

I'm not an expert, but I'd say that it depends on what are you making. RPG Maker XP is for making rpg styled games.

I'd personally go with Unreal Engine 4. It's one of the more powerful software and it's free.
    [COLOR=Kranken][/COLOR]

Click on the spoiler to show how many damn's I got. By clicking there, you'll give me a damn.

Get free levels in GETFREELEVELS.

Squire

Thumbs up

I din't realize the Unreal software was free this is deffo the answer to get me started!!!

THANK YOU

Master Sorcerer

Gamemaker studio

Squire

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by peck View Post
    Gamemaker studio
    Thanks i will check this out on YouTube also

Squire

Question

I have checked out the gamemaker studio on YouTube is this the one mentioned???

https://youtu.be/hzMNunoPd0o

Those are all free, but they're also probably a bit much for you to use as a beginner. I'd +1 for peck's suggestion — gamemaker is an amazing tool.
    "It vexes me how veracious discussion actually devolved into what literally is nocuous as a brainwashed drove of cattle spamming the only two words in their vocabulary: forum game." - JOSHIE63, 2017

↓↓↓
    IGN:TheLuigi
    ↑↑↑

Squire

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Brad
    Hello everyone,

First off its great to be on this forum and going to be great chatting to everyone. If this post will be better somewhere else please let me know and i will move/change it where needed. Now i have been looking into developing games for a long time now, it all started off by playing games in all my free time i literally don't move away from the screen, you know when you are playing a game and thought "i would do that different! etc. Now i know these days game designing is getting easier and easier with more and more people getting into it. The person that made the Candy Crush has made millions from something so simple but i'm not in it for the money i just want to develop some simple games to begin with and then let my imagination run wild after that. I have been looking online for game design software for sale and found plenty of options but not sure what to go for, i will place some systems below and let me what you think. I was also looking into buying game development books to learn a little before i start but to be honest i am more of a practical learner, not really much of a reader and their is YouTube these days that answers most questions.

1. Unity3D
    2. XNA Games Studio
    3. Pygame
    4. UDK (Unreal Development Kit)
    5. RPG Maker XP

These are the 5 that i have been looking at but i am a beginner so maybe simpler the better or if there is a even a free downloadable game development software that i try out, would be a bonus. Any information/advice you guys can share with me will be greatly appreciated!!

Attachment 128382

Thanks guys
    I'm going to get a started on gamemaker and see how it goes, There are some YouTube tutorials so i should be ok for a while then when i get into more advanced design i'm sure i will have to come back sooner or later
    Last edited by Brad; 11-06-2016 at 07:59 AM.