Thread: Novashell binary gives segfault.

Default Novashell binary gives segfault.

I run ubuntu (lucid). I have downloaded novashell binary, and tried to run it like:

"./novashell worlds/RT_DinkTest.novashell"

And it quits just giving a segfault. Then I downloaded the source from svn, and built it with some effort. But then it gives the segfault again. The compiler gives some warning about passing some temporary address as argument to a function, but builds it anyway.

perhaps someone could help me about it?

Hmm, if you just run ./novashell by itself does it work? Is a log.txt created?

I haven't run the Ubuntu version in a while.. it's possible something broke on the latest version/GCC version.

In related news, now accepting positions for a novashell linux svn maintainer...
    Seth A. Robinson
    Robinson Technologies

No, ./novashell did the same. There is a log.txt created, but it is blank.

Hmm.. sounds like it needs to be run in debug mode and the stack trace checked to see where the problem lies. <puts on todo list.. sorry for the slowness, hectic time right now>
    Seth A. Robinson
    Robinson Technologies

I know what is the issue, but I don't know how to fix it, yet.

It is dependency issue, I've made several versions of novashell and tested on several machines, every time something is missing it segfaults, now I need to figure a way to know WHAT is missing.

Lesser Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by speeder View Post
    It is dependency issue, I've made several versions of novashell and tested on several machines, every time something is missing it segfaults, now I need to figure a way to know WHAT is missing.
    Somebody has managed to get the latest version to compile under Linux (Ubuntu) here. I'm trying to follow the instructions myself, but it's all a little new to me.

You don't got it...

The issue is not compile the lastest version, I compiled my version on several machines, but every time I put it in another machine different from the one I compile, dependancy issues arise.

No matter how much you compile it, it WILL segfault.

The solution is find what it needs, and ship with the binary or compile it in the binary.
    But I don't know yet how to find what it needs.

Lesser Wizard

Ahh sorry. I thought you mean you were compiling it on several machines and every one of the binaries was segfaulting on the same machine it was complied on.

Hmm well you're doing much better than me. I can't even get it to compile

When I have to recompile again my GNU/Linux version, I will upload my source and code::blocks project file.

Lesser Wizard

That would be great, thanks. The version in the SVN seems pretty broken

http://www.agfgames.com/files/pw_engine_source.7z

This is the almost lastest, but the changes that I made after uploading this file regard only my own game...

Please, note that the icon and name of the engine on this source are of my game, this before releasing yours take care to change them XD

Lesser Wizard

Thanks for that. I've had a go at building with the ./linux_make_novashell.sh but it still gives me a load of error messages.

I've had a go with code::blocks but I've never used it before and I don't have a clue what I'm supposed to do I changed build target to GNU32 and click 'rebuild' but I'm getting the following errors:

||=== novashell, Release GNU32 ===|
    /home/pleng/compiles/novashellSVN/SharedLib/linearparticle/sources/L_Defination.h|30|error: ClanLib/core.h: No such file or directory|
    /home/pleng/compiles/novashellSVN/SharedLib/linearparticle/sources/L_Defination.h|31|error: ClanLib/application.h: No such file or directory|
    /home/pleng/compiles/novashellSVN/SharedLib/linearparticle/sources/L_Defination.h|32|error: ClanLib/display.h: No such file or directory|
    /home/pleng/compiles/novashellSVN/SharedLib/linearparticle/sources/L_Defination.h|77|error: ‘RAND_MAX’ was not declared in this scope|
    /home/pleng/compiles/novashellSVN/SharedLib/linearparticle/sources/L_Defination.h|78|error: ‘RAND_MAX’ was not declared in this scope|
    /home/pleng/compiles/novashellSVN/SharedLib/linearparticle/sources/L_Vector.h|44|error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of ‘CL_Vector2’ with no type|
    /home/pleng/compiles/novashellSVN/SharedLib/linearparticle/sources/L_Vector.h|44|error: expected ‘,’ or ‘...’ before ‘&’ token|
    /home/pleng/compiles/novashellSVN/SharedLib/linearparticle/sources/L_Vector.h|48|error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of ‘CL_Vector2’ with no type|
    /home/pleng/compiles/novashellSVN/SharedLib/linearparticle/sources/L_Vector.h|48|error: expected ‘,’ or ‘...’ before ‘&’ token|
    /home/pleng/compiles/novashellSVN/SharedLib/linearparticle/sources/L_Particle.h|55|error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of ‘CL_Color’ with no type|
    /home/pleng/compiles/novashellSVN/SharedLib/linearparticle/sources/L_Particle.h|55|error: expected ‘,’ or ‘...’ before ‘&’ token|
    /home/pleng/compiles/novashellSVN/SharedLib/linearparticle/sources/L_Particle.h||In constructor ‘L_Color::L_Color(int)’:|
    /home/pleng/compiles/novashellSVN/SharedLib/linearparticle/sources/L_Particle.h|57|error: ‘color’ was not declared in this scope|
    /home/pleng/compiles/novashellSVN/SharedLib/linearparticle/sources/L_Particle.h|89|error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of ‘CL_Surface’ with no type|
    /home/pleng/compiles/novashellSVN/SharedLib/linearparticle/sources/L_Particle.h|89|error: expected ‘;’ before ‘*’ token|
    /home/pleng/compiles/novashellSVN/SharedLib/linearparticle/sources/L_Particle.h|162|error: expected ‘)’ before ‘*’ token|
    ||=== Build finished: 15 errors, 0 warnings (0 minutes, 10 seconds) ===|

You have to install ClanLib 1.0 (not 2.0)

Lesser Wizard

Wow thanks for the fast response.

I have Clanlib 1.0.0 installed. Well I compiled from source and installed with sudo make install, which is what I guess needs to be done, right?