Thread: Irrlicht OpenGL ES 2.0

Default Irrlicht OpenGL ES 2.0

Hi Seth

Our project needs shaders. Is it possible to intagrate Irrlicht from ProtonSDK with OpenGl ES 2.0?

I do plan to eventually add GLES 2.X support, sort of waiting for a project that demands it, and the longer I wait the less work on the Irrlicht side of things probably has to be done.

You can't just have 2.X in Irrlicht though, Proton itself needs to support initializing a 2.X context on each platform and have a 2.X version of the "Surface" class. So my plan would probably be to do that first, then add Irrlicht GLES 2.X support after, merging the latest official Irrlicht additions at that time.

I would also of course keep GLES 1.X operational for my older games and stuff that needs it for compatibility.

The timeline is probably at least 6 months for this to happen, but anybody is welcome to take a stab at it earlier of course.
    Seth A. Robinson
    Robinson Technologies

Default WIP?

Are there still plans to implement Open GL ES2 some time in the near future? Open Gl ES 3 is on the horizon already. The one thing keeping me from using Proton SDK for development at this point is the outdated rendering technology.
    Oh and one other question. Do you plan to make use of the upcoming Irrlicht 1.8 stable release.

True multiplatform development is the future and I can definitely see this going far.

Hey.

I haven't started any GL 2.0/3.0 stuff yet. My current project turned out to be 2D so rendering tech wasn't an issue.

I'm not sure what project I'll be doing after that, but if it's 3D it probably would mean GLES 2.X and porting over the latest Irrlicht stuff.

At a minimum would be looking at a couple months before I did anything though probably.
    Seth A. Robinson
    Robinson Technologies