Thread: error: ‘shared_ptr’ in namespace ‘std’ does not name a type

Default error: ‘shared_ptr’ in namespace ‘std’ does not name a type

I've just compiled & installed the ClanLib libraries onto my Linux Mint box & I've followed this tutorial:
    http://codegrind.net/2010/09/30/clan...tting-started/

But when I compile it (I use Netbeans 6.9) I get a LONG list of error messages that mostly contain this line (or variations of it with other ClanLib files):
    Code:
    from main.cpp:1:
    In file included from /usr/local/include/ClanLib/core.h:69:0,
    /usr/local/include/ClanLib/Core/Text/string_allocator.h:134:2: error: ‘shared_ptr’ in namespace ‘std’ does not name a type
    Any ideas what's going wrong? Apart from shared_ptr not having a type.

If you want the full build list/log thing, let me know & I'll post it.

ClanLib Developer

Your gcc is not compiling C++11

I guess "-std=c++0x " is missing from the makefile

I don't know much about makefiles (only what they do), so I don't know where to add -std=c++0x in it, so I added itt to the Additional Options under C++ compiler for the project & now I'm getting a different error (excuse the length):

Code:
    "/usr/bin/make" -f nbproject/Makefile-Debug.mk QMAKE= SUBPROJECTS= .build-confmake[1]: Entering directory `/home/matt/NetBeansProjects/Test Orx'
    "/usr/bin/make"  -f nbproject/Makefile-Debug.mk dist/Debug/GNU-Linux-x86/test_orx
    make[2]: Entering directory `/home/matt/NetBeansProjects/Test Orx'
    mkdir -p dist/Debug/GNU-Linux-x86
    g++ -std=c++0x    -o dist/Debug/GNU-Linux-x86/test_orx build/Debug/GNU-Linux-x86/main.o  
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/matt/NetBeansProjects/Test Orx'
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/matt/NetBeansProjects/Test Orx'
    /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/gcc/i686-linux-gnu/4.5.2/../../../crt1.o: In function `_start':
    build/Debug/GNU-Linux-x86/main.o: In function `CL_Console::write_line(CL_StringRef8 const&)':
    /usr/local/include/ClanLib/Core/Text/console.h:198: undefined reference to `CL_Console::write(CL_StringRef8 const&)'
    /usr/local/include/ClanLib/Core/Text/console.h:202: undefined reference to `CL_StringRef8::CL_StringRef8(char const*)'
    /usr/local/include/ClanLib/Core/Text/console.h:202: undefined reference to `CL_Console::write(CL_StringRef8 const&)'
    /usr/local/include/ClanLib/Core/Text/console.h:202: undefined reference to `CL_StringRef8::~CL_StringRef8()'
    /usr/local/include/ClanLib/Core/Text/console.h:202: undefined reference to `CL_StringRef8::~CL_StringRef8()'
    build/Debug/GNU-Linux-x86/main.o: In function `CL_ClanApplication':
    /usr/local/include/ClanLib/App/clanapp.h:65: undefined reference to `CL_ClanApplication::main'
    build/Debug/GNU-Linux-x86/main.o: In function `ConsoleProgram::main(std::vector<CL_String8, std::allocator<CL_String8> > const&)':
    /home/matt/NetBeansProjects/Test Orx/main.cpp:7: undefined reference to `CL_SetupCore::CL_SetupCore()'
    /home/matt/NetBeansProjects/Test Orx/main.cpp:8: undefined reference to `CL_StringRef8::CL_StringRef8(char const*)'
    /home/matt/NetBeansProjects/Test Orx/main.cpp:8: undefined reference to `CL_ConsoleWindow::CL_ConsoleWindow(CL_StringRef8 const&, int, int)'
    /home/matt/NetBeansProjects/Test Orx/main.cpp:8: undefined reference to `CL_StringRef8::~CL_StringRef8()'
    /home/matt/NetBeansProjects/Test Orx/main.cpp:10: undefined reference to `CL_DateTime::get_current_local_time()'
    /home/matt/NetBeansProjects/Test Orx/main.cpp:10: undefined reference to `CL_DateTime::to_short_datetime_string() const'
    /home/matt/NetBeansProjects/Test Orx/main.cpp:10: undefined reference to `CL_DateTime::~CL_DateTime()'
    /home/matt/NetBeansProjects/Test Orx/main.cpp:12: undefined reference to `CL_String8::CL_String8(CL_String8 const&)'
    /home/matt/NetBeansProjects/Test Orx/main.cpp:12: undefined reference to `CL_StringRef8::CL_StringRef8(char const*)'
    /home/matt/NetBeansProjects/Test Orx/main.cpp:12: undefined reference to `CL_StringRef8::~CL_StringRef8()'
    /home/matt/NetBeansProjects/Test Orx/main.cpp:12: undefined reference to `CL_String8::~CL_String8()'
    /home/matt/NetBeansProjects/Test Orx/main.cpp:13: undefined reference to `CL_Console::wait_for_key()'
    /home/matt/NetBeansProjects/Test Orx/main.cpp:10: undefined reference to `CL_String8::~CL_String8()'
    /home/matt/NetBeansProjects/Test Orx/main.cpp:8: undefined reference to `CL_ConsoleWindow::~CL_ConsoleWindow()'
    /home/matt/NetBeansProjects/Test Orx/main.cpp:7: undefined reference to `CL_SetupCore::~CL_SetupCore()'
    /home/matt/NetBeansProjects/Test Orx/main.cpp:8: undefined reference to `CL_StringRef8::~CL_StringRef8()'
    /home/matt/NetBeansProjects/Test Orx/main.cpp:10: undefined reference to `CL_DateTime::~CL_DateTime()'
    /home/matt/NetBeansProjects/Test Orx/main.cpp:12: undefined reference to `CL_StringRef8::~CL_StringRef8()'
    /home/matt/NetBeansProjects/Test Orx/main.cpp:12: undefined reference to `CL_String8::~CL_String8()'
    /home/matt/NetBeansProjects/Test Orx/main.cpp:10: undefined reference to `CL_String8::~CL_String8()'
    /home/matt/NetBeansProjects/Test Orx/main.cpp:8: undefined reference to `CL_ConsoleWindow::~CL_ConsoleWindow()'
    /home/matt/NetBeansProjects/Test Orx/main.cpp:7: undefined reference to `CL_SetupCore::~CL_SetupCore()'
    build/Debug/GNU-Linux-x86/main.o: In function `void CL_Console::write_line<CL_String8>(CL_StringRef8 const&, CL_String8)':
    /usr/local/include/ClanLib/Core/Text/console.h:214: undefined reference to `CL_StringFormat::CL_StringFormat(CL_StringRef8 const&)'
    /usr/local/include/ClanLib/Core/Text/console.h:215: undefined reference to `CL_String8::operator CL_StringRef8() const'
    /usr/local/include/ClanLib/Core/Text/console.h:215: undefined reference to `CL_StringFormat::set_arg(int, CL_StringRef8 const&)'
    /usr/local/include/ClanLib/Core/Text/console.h:215: undefined reference to `CL_StringRef8::~CL_StringRef8()'
    /usr/local/include/ClanLib/Core/Text/console.h:216: undefined reference to `CL_StringFormat::get_result() const'
    /usr/local/include/ClanLib/Core/Text/console.h:216: undefined reference to `CL_String8::operator CL_StringRef8() const'
    /usr/local/include/ClanLib/Core/Text/console.h:216: undefined reference to `CL_StringRef8::~CL_StringRef8()'
    /usr/local/include/ClanLib/Core/Text/console.h:214: undefined reference to `CL_StringFormat::~CL_StringFormat()'
    /usr/local/include/ClanLib/Core/Text/console.h:215: undefined reference to `CL_StringRef8::~CL_StringRef8()'
    /usr/local/include/ClanLib/Core/Text/console.h:216: undefined reference to `CL_StringRef8::~CL_StringRef8()'
    /usr/local/include/ClanLib/Core/Text/console.h:214: undefined reference to `CL_StringFormat::~CL_StringFormat()'
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    make[2]: *** [dist/Debug/GNU-Linux-x86/test_orx] Error 1
    make[1]: *** [.build-conf] Error 2
    make: *** [.build-impl] Error 2

BUILD FAILED (exit value 2, total time: 387ms)

ClanLib Developer

This time it is because you're not linking with the ClanLib library files (all libclanCore functions listed in that output).

You mean the #include lines?

If so, I've got these two:

Code:
    #include <ClanLib/core.h>
    #include <ClanLib/application.h>
    (I'm new to C++ so you'll have to be patient with me, sorry)

Not the header he meant the actual library (.lib or .o depending). Unfortunately i never really messed with makefile so I can't really tell you where to link the library, in an IDE like code blocks there is a place in settings where you can add the name of the library to link. But i guess a quick google search could help you figure out what to add to the makefile.

edit: you may want to look at this site http://www.sethi.org/classes/cet375/...mpilation.html
    it provide makefile example and explanation for all section of the makefiles. I'm not sure about how updated it is thought.

EDIT:

I've added the libclan23App.a & libclan23Core.a & now I'm getting this:

Code:
    "/usr/bin/make" -f nbproject/Makefile-Debug.mk QMAKE= SUBPROJECTS= .build-conf
    make[1]: Entering directory `/home/matt/NetBeansProjects/Test Orx'
    "/usr/bin/make"  -f nbproject/Makefile-Debug.mk dist/Debug/GNU-Linux-x86/test_orx
    g++ -std=c++0x    -o dist/Debug/GNU-Linux-x86/test_orx build/Debug/GNU-Linux-x86/main.o /usr/local/lib/libclan23App.a /usr/local/lib/libclan23Core.a 
    /usr/local/lib/libclan23Core.a(libclan23Core_la-mutex.o): In function `CL_Mutex::try_lock()':
    /home/matt/ClanLib-2.3.3/Sources/Core/System/mutex.cpp:101: undefined reference to `pthread_mutex_trylock'
    /usr/local/lib/libclan23Core.a(libclan23Core_la-mutex.o): In function `CL_Mutex':
    /home/matt/ClanLib-2.3.3/Sources/Core/System/mutex.cpp:55: undefined reference to `pthread_mutexattr_init'
    /home/matt/ClanLib-2.3.3/Sources/Core/System/mutex.cpp:62: undefined reference to `pthread_mutexattr_setkind_np'
    /home/matt/ClanLib-2.3.3/Sources/Core/System/mutex.cpp:66: undefined reference to `pthread_mutexattr_destroy'

BUILD FAILED (exit value 2, total time: 1s)
    Last edited by Matt-SD; 09-29-2011 at 03:10 AM.

ClanLib Developer

If you see the section Using ClanLib at http://clanlib.org/wiki/MainDocs:GNU_C%2B%2B_on_Linux
    You see that you require to libk against pthread as well: -lpthread

Quote Originally Posted by Matt-SD View Post
    EDIT:

I've added the libclan23App.a & libclan23Core.a & now I'm getting this:

Code:
    "/usr/bin/make" -f nbproject/Makefile-Debug.mk QMAKE= SUBPROJECTS= .build-conf
    make[1]: Entering directory `/home/matt/NetBeansProjects/Test Orx'
    g++ -std=c++0x    -o dist/Debug/GNU-Linux-x86/test_orx build/Debug/GNU-Linux-x86/main.o /usr/local/lib/libclan23App.a /usr/local/lib/libclan23Core.a 
    /usr/local/lib/libclan23Core.a(libclan23Core_la-mutex.o): In function `CL_Mutex::try_lock()':
    /home/matt/ClanLib-2.3.3/Sources/Core/System/mutex.cpp:101: undefined reference to `pthread_mutex_trylock'
    /usr/local/lib/libclan23Core.a(libclan23Core_la-mutex.o): In function `CL_Mutex':
    /home/matt/ClanLib-2.3.3/Sources/Core/System/mutex.cpp:55: undefined reference to `pthread_mutexattr_init'
    /home/matt/ClanLib-2.3.3/Sources/Core/System/mutex.cpp:62: undefined reference to `pthread_mutexattr_setkind_np'
    /home/matt/ClanLib-2.3.3/Sources/Core/System/mutex.cpp:66: undefined reference to `pthread_mutexattr_destroy'

BUILD FAILED (exit value 2, total time: 1s)