Thread: Has been Novashell left to its own fate?

Default Has been Novashell left to its own fate?

Sorry to pose such a grim question. I'm looking at a game engine that would suit making an isometric 2d rpg the likes of Ultima or Avernum. I've stumbled upon Novashell's site and the engine looks quite flexible and good.

My main doubt is if it's worth taking the effort for a programmer to delve into it if there seems to be no support at all and the forums are either quite stale...

Any suggestion or clarification about the present and future of Novashell, as well as it would suit the needs to make an isometric 2d rpg will be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by stalyan View Post
    Sorry to pose such a grim question. I'm looking at a game engine that would suit making an isometric 2d rpg the likes of Ultima or Avernum. I've stumbled upon Novashell's site and the engine looks quite flexible and good.

My main doubt is if it's worth taking the effort for a programmer to delve into it if there seems to be no support at all and the forums are either quite stale...

Any suggestion or clarification about the present and future of Novashell, as well as it would suit the needs to make an isometric 2d rpg will be appreciated.
    It is no longer in active development. Not working on mobile platforms is the big problem, but if I need something novashell-like I may port it into proton (my newer, lower level framework) sometime.

I still use it for level editing (it has .xml output now) for just about anything though, so it may see small updates related to that.

It doesn't really have built-in isometric support, but it does support arbitrary shapes so it can still work.
    Seth A. Robinson
    Robinson Technologies

I have a goal to eventually start a Novashell community myself-- that's why I made (and continue to make) tutorials for audio conversion, scripting, and graphic creation. I simply ADORE Novashell...she is a beautiful specimen.

Edit: and seeing all the crazy stuff I pulled off in RPG Maker 2003, I got a lot of plans for Novashell. Stay tuned. >:3

Quote Originally Posted by stalyan View Post

FLARE is a free engine designed for isometric stuff.