Thread: Is there any CL_NetGameConnection recv_event?

Question Is there any CL_NetGameConnection recv_event?

Hi,
    I'm programming a game, and have some problems with sending and receiving data.
    I have a trigger function on receiving data, so anytime server want to inform something it will call that function.
    Now I need to send an event to the server and receive the response immediately, not to wait until it will trigger the "on event" function because it will make problems with game logic.

For example:

PHP Code:
    Function X() {

send_event(someEvent);

//Here I need to get the immediate response to my request without triggering the "on event" function

recv_event?

a real exemple

PHP Code:
    Function Add(nr1nr2) {

//Ask Server to add 2 numbers

CL_NetGameEvent ev("AddEvent");

ev.add_argument(nr1);

ev.add_argument(nr2);

send_event(ev);

//How to get the results?

recv_event?

ClanLib Developer

There is no such function because the network communication is intentional asynchronous.

When you send a message over the network there is no guarantee the receiver will ever reply. Blocking for a reply will also cause problems if it is a player in Europe and a server on the US west coast. That gives something like a 300 ms ping, which means that the game would drop to about 3 fps if you wait for a reply on each frame.

If you are still absolutely certain you need to wait for a reply (i.e. when logging in), you can write your own block function (while (!not_received) { keep_alive() }). You can't avoid getting the message returned via the signal though.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus Norddahl View Post
    There is no such function because the network communication is intentional asynchronous.

When you send a message over the network there is no guarantee the receiver will ever reply. Blocking for a reply will also cause problems if it is a player in Europe and a server on the US west coast. That gives something like a 300 ms ping, which means that the game would drop to about 3 fps if you wait for a reply on each frame.

If you are still absolutely certain you need to wait for a reply (i.e. when logging in), you can write your own block function (while (!not_received) { keep_alive() }). You can't avoid getting the message returned via the signal though.
    Ok, I'll implement a state machine then.
    Its a card game and don't require high fps.

Thanks