Thread: Why no mingw support?

Default Why no mingw support?

I have visual studio 2010 ultimate and it is the absolute pits. I compiled a shell of a clanlib application, didn't even set the gfx mode or anything, and it takes 12 seconds on an i7? Wthell.. beyond that the entire application is prone to chug and freeze at random times. Why on earth would anyone want to use this when things like codeblocks/mingw exist? I refuse to develop in this environment.. Anyone have a precompiled 2.3.4 for mingw?

Well, one solution is stick with VS 2005... I love it. Not sure how much longer I can do this though... :wheelchair:
    Seth A. Robinson
    Robinson Technologies

Guess I will give it a look over, i tried compiling it myself with mingw and it seems to be ALOT of woe. Is there some reason there isn't a DLL build? it'd be pretty easy to use in mingw then.. thx for ur help either way

wow 2005 is way snappier, wonder how they messed it up so bad in 5 years><

Sigh,

1>c:\clanlib\include\clanlib\Core/Text/string_types.h(50) : error C2143: syntax error : missing ';' before '<'
    1>c:\clanlib\include\clanlib\Core/Text/string_types.h(50) : error C2913: explicit specialization; 'std::tr1::hash' is not a specialization of a class template
    1>c:\clanlib\include\clanlib\Core/Text/string_types.h(50) : error C2059: syntax error : '<'
    1>c:\clanlib\include\clanlib\Core/Text/string_types.h(51) : error C2143: syntax error : missing ';' before '{'
    1>c:\clanlib\include\clanlib\Core/Text/string_types.h(51) : error C2447: '{' : missing function header (old-style formal list?)

Seth: are you using another version of stl with your vstudio 2005? Mines whatever came preinstalled, i guess thats the issue? I tried deleting the first 'if' and forcing it to use the second one, but then i just get similar errors..

Hmm.. I haven't used CL 2.x in a while, I'll give it a try and get back to you...
    Seth A. Robinson
    Robinson Technologies

Thanks, this is getting crazy might just install linux for deving at this point hehe.

ClanLib Developer

ClanLib 2.3 and 2.4 (development) both requires Visual Studio 2008 SP1 and Visual Studio 2010 SP1

This is for C++11 support.

ClanLib 2.2 works on old Visual Studio's.

I believe that MingW does not fully support the new c++11 standard

Aw, looks like you're out of luck, YawnGG. Maybe try VS 2008... or look into a solution where you can use 2005 as the IDE but have it launch 2010's compilers.. yeah, probably not worth messing with it over.
    Seth A. Robinson
    Robinson Technologies

I am not sure what features c++11 supports but considering clanlib is multi-platform I really doubt they were worth breaking GCC-win support for.. If only everyone thought like me the world be perfect! hehe. I guess I am gonna have to bail on clanlib for now, thanks for trying to help anyway.

ClanLib Developer

That's what ClanLib 2.2 is for

ClanLib 2.3 and ClanLib 2.4 is for state-of-the-art coding. The C++11 is very nice. ClanLib 2.3 runs fastest using the latest GCC and Visual Studio.

According to a buncha recent posts mingw has more complete c++11 support then msvc 2010..

ClanLib Developer

Excellent

Well, I do not have the certification to call myself a programmer, but I do take the time to look at the notes everytime mingw updates their suite.

I haven't been around because of personal reasons, and despite my going to school, as far as MinGW support go, I'll be glad to be the go to guy for it, if you have me.

Besides, nice little bullet to add to my resume

ClanLib Developer

Thats great - maybe you want to have the responsibility for the Mingw section at http://clanlib.org/wiki/MainDocs:MinGW ?

This document could use a rewrite to ClanLib 2

Sweet Jesus, still on 1.0 in that page!

I'll be right on it. right now, I have to check to see if the old method works on the most recent version. I remember something about Shobjidl on 2.2.8, and right now it's 2.3.4! I've been away for so long!