Thread: An Open Discussion on "Cannot scan directory to initialize CL_VirtualDirectoryList"

Lightbulb An Open Discussion on "Cannot scan directory to initialize CL_VirtualDirectoryList"

Dear All,

I noticed that when you try to 'get_directory_listing()' an empty 'CL_VirtualDirectory' inside a zip archive file (i.e. 'is_zip_file == true' in the CL_VirtualFileSystem), a 'CL_Exception' will be thrown with the message: "Cannot scan directory to initialize CL_VirtualDirectoryList".

I think there are two issues around this design:

1) Request to list an empty directory is probably not a sin. Its just a common thing that people do every day.

If you double click on an empty folder on Windows OS, you are very unlikely to be punished by a blue screen and so as on Linux, if you 'ls -l' an empty directory, you (probably) won't seen a segment fault as a consequence of your commend.

Then, why we are so anxious about the 'get_directory_listing()' on an empty 'CL_VirtualDirectory' here? Should we just return an empty 'CL_VirtualDirectoryListing', which users can use the member function 'is_null()' to tell, back to the user instead of throwing an general 'CL_Exception'?

2) Apart from my first argument, I also realised that this behaviour is inconsistent between zip archive (is_zip_file = true) and standard directory on the file system (is_zip_file = false). In the latter case, such exception ('Cannot scan directory to initialize CL_VirtualDirectoryList') will not be thrown, even the target directory is empty. At least, it is so on the Windows OS. Should this behaviour be consistent for both zipped archive and standard directory on OS?

It would be nice that someone could give me some thoughts on this point. I am sincerely looking forward to hearing from you about this issue.

Best regards,

Chris

ClanLib Developer

If the zip archive truly does have an empty directory, then it hsould of course be able to list the empty contents of it without throwing an exception. Anything else is a bug. However if the directory does not exist it should throw an exception.

ClanLib Developer

I don't mind it changing. If you send a patch, i'm sure it'll be accepted.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by rombust View Post
    I don't mind it changing. If you send a patch, i'm sure it'll be accepted.

Hi rombust,

Thank you very much for your comment and your encouragement of making contribution to Clanlib.

I am more than happy to contribute my time and do some changes around this issue.

However, when I tried to commit the change, I met an authentication issue as login is required.

Just wondering, do we have a general login for new guys doing casual commit?

Best regards,

Chris

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus Norddahl View Post
    If the zip archive truly does have an empty directory, then it hsould of course be able to list the empty contents of it without throwing an exception. Anything else is a bug. However if the directory does not exist it should throw an exception.

Hi Magnus Norddahl,

Thanks for your comments. I agree with you.

Best regards,

Chris

ClanLib Developer

We don't allow anonymous commits (since they can be abused)

Instead post the svn patch here on the forum.

After a few patches, we then can create a svn user (subject to clanlib.org sysadmin approval)

Quote Originally Posted by rombust View Post
    We don't allow anonymous commits (since they can be abused)

Instead post the svn patch here on the forum.

After a few patches, we then can create a svn user (subject to clanlib.org sysadmin approval)

Hi rombust,

Certainly.

I recommend that the line 85 in the "virtual_file_source_zip.cpp" file being changed from "return !file_list.empty();" to "return true;"

Best regards,

Chris

ClanLib Developer

Patch applied to ClanLib 2.3 SVN and 2.4 SVN