Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: *Version 2.0* Issues and Suggestions

Lesser Wizard

Default *Version 2.0* Issues and Suggestions

Seth,

First of all I want to say thanks for releasing this new version and for all of the previous changes you made so far...I think you've made the game much better overall.

I wanted to start this thread so that people can mention any bugs/problems/issues they are experiencing with this new version here instead of creating multiple threads so that it's more organized. Obviously there are going to be multiple issues during the first few days/weeks since this is a new release.

Since Blast07 already addressed some issues, I'll just repeat them here and people can add to it as they find them.

1) In team mode, it's hard to tell which tanks are red and blue.
    2) The application crashes and disconnects a lot more. (I feel this is obviously going to happen until you iron everything out).

Here are just some things I noticed:

3) For the default M3 Stewart tank, the response of pressing the item icons seems much improved. However, for the Panzer V tank, since it dies faster, pressing an item icon isn't that responsive when pressed right before dying (i.e. pressing the icon makes the icon disappear as if you used it but it doesn't really increase health/start shield/release a beagle).

4) The "Buy Tank Coins" feature isn't working...but I'm assuming you haven't got to that part yet. (Btw, I hope this is what it sounds like so you can finally start making some deserved money from this game).

5) There is a longer delay between dying and respawning.

6) There are new "map errors" where the map does not load when starting a game.

Anyway, these are just some basic issues to get started...hopefully we can add some more to help you address them.
    Last edited by Play; 03-22-2012 at 08:04 PM.

Hey, good idea for a thread.

I'm going to be working hard on getting the new version operating smoothly.. it's a real headache because I was unable to time things so all platforms could get 2.0 at the same time, so we have 1.5 playing with 2.0 people which may be behind some of the problems. But this should get better, I'm going to lock out 1.5X clients soon.. except for iOS, as they can't get the update yet. (It has been submitted... it's like a 7-10 lag time to get an update out)

Also, the server isn't stable right now, I think it's crashed 5 times today now that some of the new features are active, ironically, probably because of some buggy extra logging that I recently added to help find problems... oops. Will fix ASAP. A lot of these problems (but probably not all) can be fixed with server-side changes, so hang in there guys! :wheelchair:

4) The "Buy Tank Coins" feature isn't working...but I'm assuming you haven't got to that part yet. (Btw, I hope this is what it sounds like so you can finally start making some deserved money from this game).
    In-App-Purchase on webOS should be working tomorrow or the next day with some luck. Yep, people will be able to support Tanked development by buying coins if they wish.

So please list any other bugs you find... and also, if you feel any tanks are over-powered. For instance, the Panzer is fast, but weak - .. but it obviously has an unfair advantage in a game of Crate King... hrm.
    Seth A. Robinson
    Robinson Technologies

Ok, think I fixed #6 in the server update I just did
    Seth A. Robinson
    Robinson Technologies

I'm really enjoying the update so far, Seth! Thanks a bunch!!!!

1) In team mode, it's hard to tell which tanks are red and blue.

I noticed this too.

Also, the pause button is too small. I usually have to hit it several times. Perhaps it could be made larger & more transparent.

Finally, one question: when I buy a tank, am I stuck with it, or can I switch between tanks I have purchased?

EDIT: Forget that question I see we can switch, awesome.
    Last edited by Junior; 03-22-2012 at 03:06 PM.

replied to other threads before i see this. agree with the crashing app and hard to see colours points.
    i also seem to get the game going silent every 2 or 3rd game, (no sound effects/music) which is a big hindrance because you cant hear tanks/battles/respawning crates etc nearby.

love how the beagles come out like a rocket now

Default Missing fixes

Seth, I like the update. However, I was disappointed to see a couple fixes not make it in:

1) People who forfeit during the match are still receiving points if their team wins without them
    2) Was hoping to see that confirmation if you wanted to join the battle or not. You still can
    get added to a fight without first seeing who's in the fight. Maybe this was dropped because of the
    random function?

#1 bugs the crap out of me, #2 is minor irritation.
    --*Blitz*--

Lesser Wizard

why the F was i just killed in like 4 shots the last two games... I knew this new version would ruin the simplistic brilliance of it..

Quote Originally Posted by tanker View Post
    why the F was i just killed in like 4 shots the last two games... I knew this new version would ruin the simplistic brilliance of it..

did you upgrade to the panzer for 50 coins? i think you gain speed but lose armour,so are killed quicker

hey blitz, there will always be things to improve.. but hey look at how different v2 is. Seth has done numerous hours in these! i used to do some light programming... and know how long these takes. so kudos to Seth! well done!

Quote Originally Posted by dontshoot View Post
    hey blitz, there will always be things to improve.. but hey look at how different v2 is. Seth has done numerous hours in these! i used to do some light programming... and know how long these takes. so kudos to Seth! well done!
    Ditto, we should have a big thread where we all thank Seth

Lesser Wizard

Seth,

I've updated Tanked on my old Palm Pre, and I must admit that Pre still has better playability. It has much slower CPU and 'animation' isn't so fluent but tanks are bigger and closer than in Galaxy therefore it's much easier to shot them.

Left side - Samsung Galaxy S2
    Right side Palm Pre2

I mentioned it in this topic:
    4545-Tanked-Palm-Pre2-vs-Samsung-Galaxy-S2

Quote Originally Posted by Junior View Post
    Ditto, we should have a big thread where we all thank Seth
    I strongly agree, Seth many thanks for that game and for improving it?

yeah the new update is amazing! There will ALWAYS be things to improve. So Seth the payment system should be working today or tomorrow because I really want to get the Sherman because that thing is a money bank!
    For anyone who knows me from a long time ago I've started playing again but don't expect me to be as competitive as I once was (just play for fun now).:wheelchair: In Game account: Soccerfu Current points: 90k+

Quote Originally Posted by albar View Post
    love how the beagles come out like a rocket now
    that's the best part of the game now!
    For anyone who knows me from a long time ago I've started playing again but don't expect me to be as competitive as I once was (just play for fun now).:wheelchair: In Game account: Soccerfu Current points: 90k+

Lesser Wizard

Red face

beagles rules!!!!

Lesser Wizard

Seth,

Regarding the different tanks...I now have some experience playing with the Panzer and the Sherman in different maps with different numbers of people, so I just wanted to comment on them. I have to (surprisingly) say that I think you have done an excellent job tweaking their weaknesses and strengths so that they aren't "better" than the M3 Stewart.

As I said, I don't know about the other tanks because I don't have them yet. So this is just regarding these two tanks.

The Panzer:
    I think this tank is fun (and funny) to play with. As far as your concern about it being unfair to use in crate king mode, I don't think you need to worry about that because we can't change the map and mode anymore in the regular lobby where most people play and it never goes to crate king. It is extremely fast so it's good in town where getting items is usually a hassle, but if it doesn't have a shield, it is extremely easy to kill, so overall I think it balances out even in town where the speed is probably most useful. I actually think it dies TOO quickly and wished it could take another hit (currently it dies in 3 hits) because it actually gets temporarily "paralyzed" after taking a hit which means it can't shoot back/truly defend itself from the next hit and next hit until it eventually dies. But giving it the ability to take that extra hit may tip the balance, so it's probably fine the way it is. Its advantage of speed is also a double-edged sword...it's harder to stop in front of oncoming beagles/reaction time is compromised, etc. So considering all things, this tank is not "better/unfair" compared to the M3 Stewart. In fact, I think the M3 Stewart is safer to play with in most circumstances...so that means that your intention with the Panzer was successful.

The Sherman:
    This tank is the one I think a lot of people (mostly players on the other end of it) may say is "too strong". However, overall, this tank is also not "better" than the M3 Stewart. With this tank, each of its shots is as strong as 2 regular shots, however, it's reload time is (more than) twice as long as the M3 Stewart, so it can shoot 3 times in the same amount of time the M3 Stewart can shoot 6 times. The Sherman can kill the M3 Stewart in 3 shots and the M3 Stewart can kill the Sherman in 5-6 shots. This means that in a faceoff, the Sherman has to PERFECTLY shoot and deliver each of the 3 shots to kill the M3 Stewart. If the Sherman misses even 1 shot, it will succumb to the M3 Stewart because the Sherman's slow reload speed doesn't give it enough time to deliver the 3 shots to kill the M3 Stewart before it gets hit by the M3 Stewart 5-6 times with it's faster reload speed. This gives the M3 Stewart more leeway to make a mistake and still kill the Sherman. Also, as with the Panzer, it's advantage of having a more powerful shot can be a disadvantage because if the M3 Stewart has been hit once by another player before the Sherman faces it, the Sherman can deliver a shot(s) that will damage the M3 Stewart leaving the M3 Stewart with 1 regular hit of power left which another player can come and deliver thus "stealing" the kill before the Sherman can reload and deliver the winning blow (this happens every time I play with the Sherman, but "stealing" kills is part of the game, so I can't get mad, ha). Also, if the Sherman is faced with 2 tanks at the same time, its slow reload speed is a great disadvantage because it can't shoot fast enough to defend itself from both tanks. So, although it may have a slight advantage in IDEAL situations (e.g. maybe during 1 on 1 games where there isn't another player to "steal" the kill or the Sherman doesn't have to face 2 players at the same time), in almost all game playing situations, I don't think the Sherman is "better" than the M3 Stewart...so I think you were also successful with the Sherman.

Obviously, the Spider and the RT Soft tanks are better than the M3 Stewart in ALL situations. However, I don't think that means you should remove them. Overall, I think having different tanks with different strengths/weaknesses is a brilliant idea. Each tank has it's own learning curve and the variation makes the game more interesting. This is just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Play View Post
    Seth,

Regarding the different tanks...I now have some experience playing with the Panzer and the Sherman in different maps with different numbers of people, so I just wanted to comment on them. I have to (surprisingly) say that I think you have done an excellent job tweaking their weaknesses and strengths so that they aren't "better" than the M3 Stewart.

As I said, I don't know about the other tanks because I don't have them yet. So this is just regarding these two tanks.

The Panzer:
    I think this tank is fun (and funny) to play with. As far as your concern about it being unfair to use in crate king mode, I don't think you need to worry about that because we can't change the map and mode anymore in the regular lobby where most people play and it never goes to crate king. It is extremely fast so it's good in town where getting items is usually a hassle, but if it doesn't have a shield, it is extremely easy to kill, so overall I think it balances out even in town where the speed is probably most useful. I actually think it dies TOO quickly and wished it could take another hit (currently it dies in 3 hits) because it actually gets temporarily "paralyzed" after taking a hit which means it can't shoot back/truly defend itself from the next hit and next hit until it eventually dies. But giving it the ability to take that extra hit may tip the balance, so it's probably fine the way it is. Its advantage of speed is also a double-edged sword...it's harder to stop in front of oncoming beagles/reaction time is compromised, etc. So considering all things, this tank is not "better/unfair" compared to the M3 Stewart. In fact, I think the M3 Stewart is safer to play with in most circumstances...so that means that your intention with the Panzer was successful.

The Sherman:
    This tank is the one I think a lot of people (mostly players on the other end of it) may say is "too strong". However, overall, this tank is also not "better" than the M3 Stewart. With this tank, each of its shots is as strong as 2 regular shots, however, it's reload time is (more than) twice as long as the M3 Stewart, so it can shoot 3 times in the same amount of time the M3 Stewart can shoot 6 times. The Sherman can kill the M3 Stewart in 3 shots and the M3 Stewart can kill the Sherman in 5-6 shots. This means that in a faceoff, the Sherman has to PERFECTLY shoot and deliver each of the 3 shots to kill the M3 Stewart. If the Sherman misses even 1 shot, it will succumb to the M3 Stewart because the Sherman's slow reload speed doesn't give it enough time to deliver the 3 shots to kill the M3 Stewart before it gets hit by the M3 Stewart 5-6 times with it's faster reload speed. This gives the M3 Stewart more leeway to make a mistake and still kill the Sherman. Also, as with the Panzer, it's advantage of having a more powerful shot can be a disadvantage because if the M3 Stewart has been hit once by another player before the Sherman faces it, the Sherman can deliver a shot(s) that will damage the M3 Stewart leaving the M3 Stewart with 1 regular hit of power left which another player can come and deliver thus "stealing" the kill before the Sherman can reload and deliver the winning blow (this happens every time I play with the Sherman, but "stealing" kills is part of the game, so I can't get mad, ha). Also, if the Sherman is faced with 2 tanks at the same time, its slow reload speed is a great disadvantage because it can't shoot fast enough to defend itself from both tanks. So, although it may have a slight advantage in IDEAL situations (e.g. maybe during 1 on 1 games where there isn't another player to "steal" the kill or the Sherman doesn't have to face 2 players at the same time), in almost all game playing situations, I don't think the Sherman is "better" than the M3 Stewart...so I think you were also successful with the Sherman.

Obviously, the Spider and the RT Soft tanks are better than the M3 Stewart in ALL situations. However, I don't think that means you should remove them. Overall, I think having different tanks with different strengths/weaknesses is a brilliant idea. Each tank has it's own learning curve and the variation makes the game more interesting. This is just my opinion.

great review, Play

Default Points to those who forfeit

Seth, thanks for making the change for me. In a battle just now 2 v 2, my partner quit but I still won. The other team lost 3 points in total. I was awarded 3 pts. Per your fix. However, my partner also got a +3. Not sure if it just said that or if he really did. But in any case it looked like 3 pts were lost and 6 points awarded!
    --*Blitz*--

Lesser Wizard

You can definitely differentiate between team colors now. Even the beagles show more team color, ha.

I've experienced the same thing Blitz described...those who forfeit still show gaining points (and those points are coming from somewhere in addition to the points lost by the losing team).

I'm also glad you are making this change. However, the thing is, even though these players who leave will no longer receive points, the team they abandon are very crippled from being down player(s). I read one of your threads about some options to solve this problem and I agree with what you thought would be the fairest from those options. But I don't know if implementing that would be a server-side change or not...and you already have a lot going on.

Yeah I agree with ya play, people who do leave early shouldn't get any points.

Oops, that's a bug, they aren't supposed to be getting points. I don't know if it's a just a display error or they are really getting them, but either way I'll fix it, thanks.
    Seth A. Robinson
    Robinson Technologies