Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: *Version 2.0* Issues and Suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by Play View Post
    Seth,

Regarding the different tanks...I now have some experience playing with the Panzer and the Sherman in different maps with different numbers of people, so I just wanted to comment on them. I have to (surprisingly) say that I think you have done an excellent job tweaking their weaknesses and strengths so that they aren't "better" than the M3 Stewart.

As I said, I don't know about the other tanks because I don't have them yet. So this is just regarding these two tanks.

The Panzer:
    I think this tank is fun (and funny) to play with. As far as your concern about it being unfair to use in crate king mode, I don't think you need to worry about that because we can't change the map and mode anymore in the regular lobby where most people play and it never goes to crate king. It is extremely fast so it's good in town where getting items is usually a hassle, but if it doesn't have a shield, it is extremely easy to kill, so overall I think it balances out even in town where the speed is probably most useful. I actually think it dies TOO quickly and wished it could take another hit (currently it dies in 3 hits) because it actually gets temporarily "paralyzed" after taking a hit which means it can't shoot back/truly defend itself from the next hit and next hit until it eventually dies. But giving it the ability to take that extra hit may tip the balance, so it's probably fine the way it is. Its advantage of speed is also a double-edged sword...it's harder to stop in front of oncoming beagles/reaction time is compromised, etc. So considering all things, this tank is not "better/unfair" compared to the M3 Stewart. In fact, I think the M3 Stewart is safer to play with in most circumstances...so that means that your intention with the Panzer was successful.

The Sherman:
    This tank is the one I think a lot of people (mostly players on the other end of it) may say is "too strong". However, overall, this tank is also not "better" than the M3 Stewart. With this tank, each of its shots is as strong as 2 regular shots, however, it's reload time is (more than) twice as long as the M3 Stewart, so it can shoot 3 times in the same amount of time the M3 Stewart can shoot 6 times. The Sherman can kill the M3 Stewart in 3 shots and the M3 Stewart can kill the Sherman in 5-6 shots. This means that in a faceoff, the Sherman has to PERFECTLY shoot and deliver each of the 3 shots to kill the M3 Stewart. If the Sherman misses even 1 shot, it will succumb to the M3 Stewart because the Sherman's slow reload speed doesn't give it enough time to deliver the 3 shots to kill the M3 Stewart before it gets hit by the M3 Stewart 5-6 times with it's faster reload speed. This gives the M3 Stewart more leeway to make a mistake and still kill the Sherman. Also, as with the Panzer, it's advantage of having a more powerful shot can be a disadvantage because if the M3 Stewart has been hit once by another player before the Sherman faces it, the Sherman can deliver a shot(s) that will damage the M3 Stewart leaving the M3 Stewart with 1 regular hit of power left which another player can come and deliver thus "stealing" the kill before the Sherman can reload and deliver the winning blow (this happens every time I play with the Sherman, but "stealing" kills is part of the game, so I can't get mad, ha). Also, if the Sherman is faced with 2 tanks at the same time, its slow reload speed is a great disadvantage because it can't shoot fast enough to defend itself from both tanks. So, although it may have a slight advantage in IDEAL situations (e.g. maybe during 1 on 1 games where there isn't another player to "steal" the kill or the Sherman doesn't have to face 2 players at the same time), in almost all game playing situations, I don't think the Sherman is "better" than the M3 Stewart...so I think you were also successful with the Sherman.

Obviously, the Spider and the RT Soft tanks are better than the M3 Stewart in ALL situations. However, I don't think that means you should remove them. Overall, I think having different tanks with different strengths/weaknesses is a brilliant idea. Each tank has it's own learning curve and the variation makes the game more interesting. This is just my opinion.
    Good breakdown. I'm trying to give each tank unique characteristics that require playing them a different way. In the end I did decide to make some tanks just "better" - but I'm trying to use the "10% rule" - a max difference of only 10%, so a good player can still beat an ok player who is using a better tank. I'm a little worried about the RTSoft tank, (I think it's more than 10% better..) but I'll need to see it in action before I start tweaking.
    Seth A. Robinson
    Robinson Technologies

Quote Originally Posted by Seth View Post
    Good breakdown. I'm trying to give each tank unique characteristics that require playing them a different way. In the end I did decide to make some tanks just "better" - but I'm trying to use the "10% rule" - a max difference of only 10%, so a good player can still beat an ok player who is using a better tank. I'm a little worried about the RTSoft tank, (I think it's more than 10% better..) but I'll need to see it in action before I start tweaking.
    The tank colour problem in team games is definitely fixed now, the tanks now glow blue or red

some people are raging because they think the spider tank is a super tank, it's only a tiny bit faster than the M3. i think it evens out well between the spider,panzer and sherman. it's about stategy and what your best at, interesting to see people trying them all out.

maybe the rtsoft tank might be too much though, especially if the better players get them, they would be nearly unbeatable.

i think the spider,panzer and sherman have evened things up a bit against the best players, so the best players now have to rethink their strategies.

all makes for a better game