Thread: Warning: Android r17 breaks stuff

Default Warning: Android r17 breaks stuff

The google guys did it again, adt r17 make serious enough changes to break all Proton projects. And fixing them breaks r16 and newer so .. yeah. Hm.

I don't recommend updating yet, but I guess at some point we have to. If you do update, you may want to backup your tools and platform-tools dir so you can go back to older versions easier if needed.
    Seth A. Robinson
    Robinson Technologies

is there any working android pipeline now? like what android ndk , sdk version needed to be used with proton? (version before the break) I am currently trying to run RT_SimpleAPP in android emulator, it seems to be not running (blank page for long time). I have synced latest repo as of yesterday and followed android setup tutorial for windows. my current versions are ndk (r7b), sdk (r17b). any pointers?

Quote Originally Posted by sundar View Post
    is there any working android pipeline now? like what android ndk , sdk version needed to be used with proton? (version before the break) I am currently trying to run RT_SimpleAPP in android emulator, it seems to be not running (blank page for long time). I have synced latest repo as of yesterday and followed android setup tutorial for windows. my current versions are ndk (r7b), sdk (r17b). any pointers?
    It's running fine for me with ndk r7b and sdk tools r15 - with r17 there are some compile issues, I did work around it for a client project though. Haven't tried r17b, did it compile out of the box with Proton? If so, that's great.

Since you got to a blank screen, I assumed everything compiled and built ok.. it's normal for the emulator to be horrible slow and useless, but you should be seeing it render, hrmm.

I think you need to try the .apk on a real device to really know though, the GLES support on the emulator is well, horrible.
    Seth A. Robinson
    Robinson Technologies

No actually with r17b , i had to change a line in build.xml .

from this classpathref="jar.libs.ref">
    to classpathref="project.libraries.jars">

i don't know whether it will be a cause for blank screen though. Looks like I will have to test it on actual device.
    other than that it built ok.

just to cross check, the size of rtsimpleapp-debug.apk is 3241 kb. does it looks to be in normal range?

thanks for the help

Yep, that looks about right. I suspect it built right and it's an issue with the emulator. Might try RTBareBones too, it's simpler so maybe it would render.
    Seth A. Robinson
    Robinson Technologies

Maybe it is stupid, but how can I revert Android version ?

Quote Originally Posted by AxeD View Post
    Maybe it is stupid, but how can I revert Android version ?
    I don't think they offer a way to revert to an earlier version of the development tools part. I backed up my <androidSDKdir>\tools and <androidSDKdir>\platform-tools manually and moved them back after I had issues.
    Seth A. Robinson
    Robinson Technologies