Thread: Cafe

Robokoop in first place stays in Cafe. Apparently you can't get booted for inactivity while in Cafe and thus no one can hit you.??

Yeah, and in Midwest; Melsar,Snickerz,Spongbob,Eric and The Thing are all the same person with multiple log-ons. Melsar steals the Gold tags from his weaker players to make himself and Snickerz stronger.

My study group has been following this game for more than 3 weeks now, our Proffessor gave a us an assignment to study Internet Fakes and Frauds; Melsar is a classic example of such, the Prof agrees, he is good research for the assignment.

My point is: Most multi-player games consist of one or more such frauds, cheating to advance thier position in the game. The other study groups had no trouble in finding them in other online games.

Some people online cheat!
    No sense in crying over it.
    Most game hosts are afraid to correct the issue, why spoil one persons fun, the really good people tolorate the cheating or just stop playing the game and the cheaters are allowed to remain.

Yeah, and in Midwest; Melsar, Snickerz, Spongbob, Eric, Canine and The Thing are all the same person with multiple log-ons. Melsar steals the Gold tags from his weaker players to make himself and Snickerz stronger. They send as much as 6-7 Cursed Tiger to one person, then attack them.

My study group has been following this game for more than 3 weeks now, our Proffessor gave a us an assignment to study Internet Fakes and Frauds; Melsar is a classic example of such, the Prof agrees, he is good research for the assignment.

My point is: Most multi-player games consist of one or more such frauds, cheating to advance thier position in the game. The other study groups had no trouble in finding them in other online games.

Some people online cheat!
    No sense in crying over it.
    Most game hosts are afraid to correct the issue, why spoil one persons fun, the really good people tolorate the cheating or just stop playing the game and the cheaters are allowed to remain.

Lesser Knight

People cheat, it's life.

I called someone out for cheating in another thread, and they didn't like it. †But what I said there, applies here.

We have to announce everyone who is cheating, so hopefully it will be stopped, one way or another. †If we don't complain, nothing will change.

And I thought that someone couldn't have multiple accounts on the same IP address?

Hopefully we can talk about the brighter side of FQ too... one day :-)

Angry

[QUOTE]"And I thought that someone couldn't have multiple accounts on the same IP address?"

It does not very much to beat the IP check.

Spammers use several techniques to defeat it so why not a game player?

I agree YOU should complain and hope your complaints do not fall upon deaf ears.

Lesser Knight

I think you'll end up with the same advice that I were given... if you find cheaters, leave the game.

The flaw with that of course, is that once all of the games have been taken over by the few cheaters, where does that leave everyone else?

It's up to the people running the games to make some kind of effort. But who knows if those people are the cheats.

We found out by observing Funeral Quest that it is not only the game players cheating but also the game host of at least two servers, like to play around and edit players mostly by lowering thier strength points. This is sad because the players who are cheating did not get edited......mmmmmmmm something really fishy going on.

OOPS!

I was a beta tester for that game too :\. Anyway, send your research to seth. I'm sure at some time after he finishes up on his current projects that he will see about some how preventing the cheats in an update.

- cneal

Lesser Knight

All Seth has to do, is read here, and maybe contact us, if he wants to ask a few questions.

I just pity everyone who is playing on Nieverseri's Castle. I've been banned from playing (which is one way of keeping people quiet), but I know that he's STILL playing around with peoples stats.

http://agron.scieron.com:12346/ (that's the link for the server)

Maybe Seth could withdraw the licence of the cheating hosts, that might put some people off.

I take that back; I have a great idea on how to combat this cheating. Just gotta test it first.

Also, it may have been either my idea or somebody else idea not to have people kicked in chat. Reason why are because letís say you're chatting with your buddies and you step away from your computer for 5min. Well, you come back and you find that you were kicked. Not only that but your buddies think you just left! Thatís terrible! Anyway, that is the reason why you don't get kicked

Anyway, the idea I have is to have the page refresh after 6hrs. That way, anyone thatís playing for a good 6hrs or just idles in chat will be kicked. The temp fix for this would be to add a refresh script in the home.html file however it would also be nice to have a msg come up on the global msg system stating that the user has x amount of min left for the game.

Another form of this cheating could be when a user uses recorder or a similar program to move the mouse around and click on random buttons. Now that would be an even deeper cheating device that a simple inactivity kick could not combat. Thus the old BBS method of booting the user off after x amount of min/hrs (of course the user could log in again) would ultamantly combat this form of cheating

Also, a good reason for implementing this anti cheating device. Unregistered servers have a limit of two players that can be logged in at once. Now what if two users logged in and idled in chat? Now nobody else can play on the server hence another reason to implement this method of kicking the user.

Anyway, hopefully this theory will work and it will solve a lot of problems that are going on and have yet to happen or already happening.

-cneal

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (wartortle @ Oct. 17 2002,06:57)]People cheat, it's life.

I called someone out for cheating in another thread, and they didn't like it. †But what I said there, applies here.

We have to announce everyone who is cheating, so hopefully it will be stopped, one way or another. †If we don't complain, nothing will change.

And I thought that someone couldn't have multiple accounts on the same IP address?

Hopefully we can talk about the brighter side of FQ too... one day :-)
    I cant beleive you are still going on about this..why must you persist in slandering me?..This is the kind of behavior that got you banned from my server...The only thing that I am guilty of is giving a couple of people extra turns...and I dont even do that anymore after I heard that it upset you...so what did you do?..did you came to me and even ask..no..you just set out on a vendetta against me..is that fair?...so what do I do I banned you from my server why?..Because if I am going to spend good money to license my server and offer all the free services(of which I am sure you are not aware of)to my users like a bbs,newsgroup server,email server,website with more online games,online irc chat....if I am going to offer all that to my users it is a little disserning to see just how easily someone can turn against you....thats not why I am in this..I am in this to offer my computer which cost me good money to my users...I am not some kid..I am a 40year lod man and I dont want to waste my time with peopkle that want nothing but confrontation and attantion....Now hear me out I am not saying that you are one of those type of people but I really would have apreciated you coming to me..and expressing your feelings on what was going on...Thats all that I ever wanted..do you think that I enjoyed banning you from my serevr?...Of coarse not..I am in this to get as manny users as possible on my server..I beleive that is what we all want right?....so why not as a community cant we all just comunicate more.....shoot I didnt want to ban you from my server ..its people like you that take this stuff so seriously that I need on my side to help me make the whole eex[erience on my server a better experience...like I said I need people like you...to help with the bbs and the website...I no longer look at youre attack on me as a bad thing..But I am trying to look at it as a concerned individual trying make things better....so if you are as serious as you say you are fine..I will give you the oputunity to prove it....if you have been in contact with any other players that are on my server then you will know that I haven touched anyone stats since the incident in question...I even went as far as deleting my own account and starting over from scratch...so there is no cheating...I implemented one player per IP which I had turned off prior to this incident..so there will be no duplicate accounts..I am really trying to make it better....I will even go as far as unbloking you from accessing my server....all I ask is that you help as much as you have tried to destroy...o.k. does that sound fair to you?....let me know..lets create not destroy...o.k.?....let me know..lets call a truce...lets end the insanity...I promise to take you seriously....my word is my bond.
    > Nieveseri`s Castle http://agron.scieron.com:12345 or
    > http://wp.scieron.com:12345
    > play funeral quest http://agron.scieron.com:12346 or
    > http://wp.scieron.com:12346
    > telnet:agron.scieron.com or telnet:wp.scieron.com

Lesser Knight

That's an interesting speech, and I find it amusing that you're trying to twist things. So I'll shoot a few things down, if you don't mind.

1. I don't have a vendetta against you, I never insulted you. I complained about what you did. And the fact that you say that you've stopped cheating, shows that I did the right thing. Funnily, this thread is about cheats, and how to stop them. Well, I'm happy.

2. I do play on other FQ servers (including the Robocoop one), so I know how to get beaten up a lot! On these other servers, I've not caused a stir at all... so much so, yesterday when I were beaten up, the guy who did it told me to "catch up", because he'll be gone for a couple of days.

3. You're giving me a chance!? How sweet of you. The fact that I've done nothing wrong, and you've cheated must not mean anything.

I could go on, but Nievesevi seems to have changed his ways, which was the point of the exercise. Hopefully he'll run a fair game, which will attract some more players.

In closing... complaining seems to have worked in this case. Which other servers are cheating? :-)

Thumbs up

thats it I give up..I got a good offer for my equipment and I think that it was fair so as of last night I no longer have a server I sold it..so I bid all of you good bye..I am sorry that I caused so much trouble....and you wont here from me again goodbye....
    > Nieveseri`s Castle http://agron.scieron.com:12345 or
    > http://wp.scieron.com:12345
    > play funeral quest http://agron.scieron.com:12346 or
    > http://wp.scieron.com:12346
    > telnet:agron.scieron.com or telnet:wp.scieron.com

[QUOTE=[b]Quote[/b] (Guest @ Oct. 17 2002,09:58)]
    "And I thought that someone couldn't have multiple accounts on the same IP address?"

It does not very much to beat the IP check.
    All it appears to take to beat the IP Check is dynamic IP (ie dialup). The users you mention on my server (midwest) show up right in a row if I sort the userlist by IP (and there are 6 users total from that ip-range. The server setting related to IP checking is labeled "One player per IP per day". The way the game is now, the only thing you can really do is ban entire subnets to stop this. In the case of the cheaters you mentioned, I will have to ban at least 5 class C addresses and in effect a whole ISP.

Jonathan this is for you!

As the host of Midwest, you can monitor and edit the cheating players, like putting a brick in thier soup may or may not have an effect but will sure get thier attention !! Those players mentioned in another post, have in the past bragged about having an army at Midwest. Which is why several people I know will not play at Midwest, the same person also has multiple loggins at Malkavian but there are lots of other players there, so he is very innefective. I strongly suspect the person posting the original cheating message has more merit than not in his post.

Perhaps even starting the game over fresh? Then monitor the game every now and then, watch for those cheaters to come back? Then drop a brick in thier soup!

Good day,
    Karl

Quote[/b] (Guest @ Oct. 17 2002,01:16)]Most game hosts are afraid to correct the issue, why spoil one persons fun, the really good people tolorate the cheating or just stop playing the game and the cheaters are allowed to remain.
    Hello again:

George writes in his original post:

Quote[/b] ]Most game hosts are afraid to correct the issue, why spoil one persons fun, the really good people tolorate the cheating or just stop playing the game and the cheaters are allowed to remain.
    He is correct! Many people will not or do not complain or email the game host but if they did then perhaps a game host would/should do something - it appears there is a serious cheater at Midwest, I only hope you do the right thing and expel or edit this person, so the honest game players will enjoy the game as it is intended.

Good Day,
    Karl

Wink

unfortunately people cheat what can you really do to stop it..besides enabling ip address imobilization?

Arrow

DeathStalker:
    "unfortunately people cheat what can you really do to stop it..besides enabling ip address imobilization? "

YOU running the sever can do something - no one else can!!

Karl had a good point, the server operator can monitor the game and edit the players who are cheating - Reduce thier BP's, thier strength, hit points and luck - then post in the newspaper that the Deathville Dept of Commerce caught and penalized *xyz* funeral parlor for unsavory business practice!

If the cheater gets mad and plays no more - who cares?
    What will be left are the good honest players who come to have some fun on a daily basis. Pissing off the honest players only reduces the amount of players - look at what happened to Midwest Funeral Quest, very few players there - most left due to a few cheaters.

By the way: I like the new features you added to the game on your server, a bit more challanging than any other server hosting the game.

Best Wishes and Seasons Greetings,
    Robert

Lesser Wizard

Looking for cheaters is a lot of work. FQ is about fun. As an operator, I'd rather write FQ mods and play than babysit. It's only a game, after all. I don't really understand why someone would want to cheat at a silly game and I'm not going to use my free time to think about it. Cheers.

thanks for the compliment robert but the true thanks goes out to john for the great mods package..(thanks you john) and to seth for the 0.79 upgrade..(thank you seth)

Now on my server I have duplicate ip address bypass enabled but with 204 accounts on my server what should I be looking out for?....I mean I would think that if anyone was cheating on my server then my present users would notify me of what they see?..Would I be correct in assuming that this would happen or would I really need to log onto the serverv everyday and physically go through all the accounts?