Thread: Kicked from game

Wink

Thursday, I created an account on RT Soft Funeral Quest server. I made 250+ bury points. When I tried to log on Friday, I notices I couldn't log in anymore. Also, in the parlor ranking my account was removed.

Saturday I made a new account and made 350 bury points. I logged off and tried to log on again and it worked. But now (10 hours later) I see that my account has been removed again!!! What's happening??

Talking

You may have been deleted for dupe accounts.

These players have been deleted recently for creating dupe accounts (having more than one play from the same computer)

Banaan (parlor name was banann Funerals)
    Woox (parlor name was niggadigga)

And one more I can't remember, anyway, the FQ server said all three logged on from the same IP which is a no-no so all three were toasted. (it logs this if it happens, it also is able to sort the player list by IP, and even past IP's that they have used)

I'm going to add kind of a "Warn" feature in the future, should help in the cases were people honestly didn't understand they couldn't make dupes, etc.

Also: There are a few more that have raised the red flag, if you're using a dupe account, pick only one and stop using the other one and you may find both just gone.

I'd rather spend time on working on the game then babysitting the server to make sure it's a fair game so I generally just delete and don't ask questions or warn, faster that way.
    Seth A. Robinson
    Robinson Technologies

I was wondering about that, how do you account for the fact that most ISPs rotate IP addresse? Doesn't that provide an easy way to cheat and worse, a risk of false positives?

Lesser Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (ManaUser @ Dec. 15 2002,7:01)]I was wondering about that, how do you account for the fact that most ISPs rotate IP addresse? Doesn't that provide an easy way to cheat and worse, a risk of false positives?
    You have a point. If this were an e-commerce system, the problem you described would be a showstopper. However, I feel compelled to note that FQ is simply a free (to users) web game. Seth is using a heuristic to manage sessions and security. Heuristics are imperfect solutions, but they are easy to implement. Unless someone is willing to underwrite a more complete (and expensive) solution, we'll all just have to grit our teeth.  

This is true, it isn't perfect.  It's possible to for an admin to mark certain accounts so they won't be affected by the IP checking in cases where a player has a legitimate reason for sharing the IP such as dial-up, etc.  

False cheater deletions are something I would really like to avoid, so generally I wait until I see a recoccuring pattern before I do anything. Also if I see a racial slur in the parlor name or something like that I'll just delete it with no questions asked or possibly just change the name in the editor.

Here are additional options:

1.  Email verification.  Cons: Even easier to get new email accounts then IP's, annoying for the player.  If you don't allow free email accounts you alienate a lot of players. (yahoo, hotmail, etc)

2.  Save session info in cookies rather than relying completely on IP info.  Have FQ keep track of how many times the cookie had to be recreated. (happens when the cookie is deleted..)  

3.  Charge players.  If you have to pay for each account you aren't likely to create ten dupes.  Actually, in most game pay systems the admins don't care if you dupe, as long as you pay for each account.  (EQ, Ultima Online etc have this viewpoint)

FQ isn't really setup for charging and unless it's a big tournament with a prize or something like that I don't think it's really going to work.

I think option 2 is probably the best looking method.
    Seth A. Robinson
    Robinson Technologies

Didn't you used to have it so it just tracked the IP for a day and wouldn't let you log in f you used the same IP on another acound the same day? What was wrong with that?

The cookie plan sounds pretty good, as long as didn't bomb out too badly if someone has cookies disabled or auto-deleted. (eg, deleting their account without warning.)

IP tracking is still active and it does tip off the system when dupes are made, for instance, I deleted some accounts based on these FQ security warnings:

WARNING: 12-12 10:12 PM:User with IP 213.224.83.102 not allowed to create a new user. (already on as Nitronic (213.224.83.102) today)
    WARNING: 12-12 10:13 PM:User with IP 213.224.83.102 not allowed to create a new user. (already on as Nitronic (213.224.83.102) today)
    WARNING: 12-13 5:11 PM:User with IP 213.224.83.110 can't logon as Nitronic because he already played as Banaan (213.224.83.110) today.
    WARNING: 12-13 5:11 PM:User with IP 213.224.83.110 can't logon as Nitronic because he already played as Banaan (213.224.83.110) today.
    WARNING: 12-13 5:12 PM:User with IP 213.224.83.110 can't logon as Nitronic because he already played as Banaan (213.224.83.110) today.

..but it isn't fullproof and sometimes there are cases when IP's are shared legitimately. (what if 100 people from the same town with the same dial-up ISP played FQ?)
    Seth A. Robinson
    Robinson Technologies

I have to say, no one in my family nor myself played as 'Nitronic'. I mad only one account named Banaan...

That's just sad Nitronic
    The "banaan" (= dutch for banana) gives you away too, seeing that you (nitronic) are from Belgium (where we speak dutch

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Dukie @ Dec. 22 2002,3:51)]That's just sad Nitronic
    The "banaan" (= dutch for banana) gives you away too, seeing that you (nitronic) are from Belgium (where we speak dutch
    Of course chances are anyone sharing a dial-up ISP with Nitronic would be from Belgium too...

That's true..
    I'm still sure tho