Thread: FQ Mods Page

Lesser Wizard

Question

I made a quickie FQ Mods Page, which includes 2 new scripts and 3 new events made by myself. Tim Thomas (SuperWolfman) made 3 new flash arts to go with the events.

There are probably rampant errors, so beware. I have like 10 zillion things I need to do, it kinda sucks.

woah that's pretty impressive!!! Nice. It kind of sucks that your mod page looks better than the real FQ page.. :P
    Seth A. Robinson
    Robinson Technologies

Lesser Wizard

Exclamation

Wow! That's cool! I'm happy to see you riffing off that key hearse risk I tossed off.  I also like the RPG elements that are slipping into game. Get ready Everquest -- Funeral Quest is going to EAT YOUR LUNCH!

I've been working on my own game, State Secrets, which is pretty much an FQ ripoff set in the mirky world of UFO conspiracy theories. Oh yeah, then there's that pesky work thing I need to do sometimes. I hope to get back to doing FQ mods (and learning the new scripting system) at some point. Perhaps in late Februrary? Maybe I need to get that palantir, er, "Seeing Stone" I peeped on redink's page.  (Of course when I look into it, all I see a wheel of fire and the Burning Eye)

Thumbs up

alright dude I just installed the mods on my server so lets see what happens..heheh..I tested each one and it looks good man...congrats I think it will be a hit...as for you john..if it is at all like funeralquest then I want one....dont forget to make it windows 2000 server compliant so I can run it too..heheheh

Lesser Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Deathstalker @ Jan. 22 2003,9:18)]as for you john..if it is at all like funeralquest then I want one....dont forget to make it windows 2000 server compliant so I can run it too..heheheh
    Although I did have an ugly incident that destroyed my FQ server, I still bow to Seth's wisdom in making games run on Windows. My programming tool of choice is Perl, so installing the game isn't quite as easy as running SETUP.EXE. However, I'm doing my best to make sure that the game runs with a stock install of ActiveState Perl, which is both free and easy to install. It does run on Solaris, Linux and (this bit is untested) *BSD.

State Secrets is not quite a game yet, but very "game-like". It makes me happy to develop, but I don't always have time to keep development moving. It's an experiment for me. Maybe people will find it amusing.

Lesser Wizard

I tried signing up for your State Secrets game... but I simply couldn't figure out what to do. :-/

Hrm... have you tried using perl2exe (or something like that)? In my limited experience with it, it works for most perl scripts, not all. And, in some ways, making a FQ-type game in Perl is better than making it the way Seth did... I'd much rather start up a new free web account at, say, Tripod UK and put a game on that. But, that is only really viable if you plan on making it shareware or freeware, as there really isn't anyway to make people pay for it.

And I just realized that the Key Hearse event I have on my site is slightly out of date... I need to upload the new version later today. Right now it has ugly yellow text for some of the news, and I think it doesn't check of the person has 1 silver and 2 wood.

Lesser Wizard

Quote[/b] (redink1 @ Jan. 23 2003,11:36)]I tried signing up for your State Secrets game... but I simply couldn't figure out what to do. :-/
    Did I mention the game was "alpha" quality?

I've thought of a few ways to clean up the interface. Unlike FQ, your character needs to wander around to different places to encounter customers, er, Sources of Secrets. This is in the 'rules' page, which isn't complete or entirely accurate. No sources can be encountered within Headquarters. I think I need to make a map for people. It's not entire obvious how the universe is laid out in SS.

Quote[/b] ]
    Hrm... have you tried using perl2exe (or something like that)?  In my limited experience with it, it works for most perl scripts, not all.  And, in some ways, making a FQ-type game in Perl is better than making it the way Seth did... I'd much rather start up a new free web account at, say, Tripod UK and put a game on that.  But, that is only really viable if you plan on making it shareware or freeware, as there really isn't anyway to make people pay for it.
    I have used perl2exe but I don't think that's the route I'm going to go. If you'd like the source, I can send you a tarball of it. I'm not so worried about making money from it. It's a hobby right now. If I had commercial asperations, I'd rewrite it in C or something. The game is a web server, although I have been toying with the idea of making it purely CGI. On the other hand, I really would like to create a web services interface to it so that the game is just an engine that other people can create UIs for (one of which could be CGI). There are many levels of abstraction here, but I don't want to lose the forest from the trees.

I don't want to fill Seth's BBS with a thread of my silly game. If you are interested in discussing State Secrets, please take a look at the Yahoo group for it.

Thumbs up

geting back to the topic I tried fooling around with the church.c file to try to add a button that would trigger the arson event....was just curious..but I had no luck..wouldnt work..I will try again tonight.....I just want to see something in the church.....that guy staring at me bothers me....

Lesser Wizard

I just updated Key Hearse and Magic Seeing Stone to v1.1, making slight changes and fixing bugs where appropriate. If anyone finds any problems, let me know.

Yeah... the church is just begging to be utilized in some form. I'll probably try out some ideas someday.

Angry

ohh try my idea. try mine
    - Hori

Lesser Wizard

Quote[/b] (Hori @ Jan. 23 2003,11:23)]ohh try my idea. try mine
    What is your idea?

Thumbs up

o.k.check this out....
    in church.c we find line #26 as follows:

// st_packet = AddButtonScript(st_packet, 1, "Say hi", "script\\public\\crap.c"); //run another script through button

However if you try to use the addbuttonScript  the system will tell you that you are using a non suported command...

this leads me mto beleive that AddbttonScript is not suported...so at this time how do we create a button to load a SCRIPT?...This is what I need to do something with the church........help......

Lesser Wizard

Why not just modify the church's script, without using any other scripts?

AddButtonScript was never implemented, I just forget to take that command out, I was designing top down.. (use imaginary functions, then I go make them)

However, you can the same thing by waiting to see which button they hit and then loading another script using:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">  RunScriptNoReturn&#40;&#34;script&#92;&#92;some script.c&#34;&#41;; //runs this script and attaches the &#34;_my_&#34; vars to it.
    //nothing will get run here after this, this script dies.[/QUOTE]

which does work, it&#39;s used in script_event.c to choose which event to run. Also like redink suggested, you can just make the church.c script huge too.
    Seth A. Robinson
    Robinson Technologies

Exclamation

Hello,

Since your mentioned the Church - have you considered simple script and a luck event?

Just to toss an idea or two:

Church has had a &#39;Rally&#39; the food was spoiled ->
    " Glad you showed up - will you take the bodies? "
    -> Accept - Good thing you drove the Hearse to Church -
    add ( 1-3 ) luck + 10 BP
    -> Accept - you forgot the Hearse - cant fit all the bodies on the bicycle - you lose ( 1-3 ) luck
    -> Refuse - "You call the parlor for &#39;pick-up&#39; service"
    add ( 1-3 ) luck + 10 BP
    -> Refuse - you realized you ate the chicken as well, you dont feel good -> lose ( 1-3 ) luck

Church had a Fund Raiser - the ferris wheel fell over:
    Church had a Picnic - some people are really sick:

Church is having a (picnic/rally/fund raiser):
    " Will you attend?"
    -> Event ( choice yea - nea ) followed by + / - BP/Luck

Just a few ideas for you to ponder over and maybe impliment into the game.

Best reagards,
    Robert

Exclamation

Hello again,
    re: Church Event

To avoid multiple luck events the second time the church is entered after leaving the first time:

Hello ____ The ( event ) is over - please attend our special function we have scheduled for tomorrow.

or it can defer to the standard script already in place.

maybe you can use my ideas or not.
    Robert