Thread: A STORY OF .................LAG

Default A STORY OF .................LAG

The story of lag...mmm well its always mentioned but often misunderstood,it plagues gamers from country to country,but is lag really caused by the player...? I don't think it is,though its often used in defense,especially if higher rank is loosing .
    The tolerance for lag depends heavily on the type of game. For instance, a strategy game or a turn-based game with a low pace may have a high threshold or even be mostly unaffected by high delays, whereas a twitch gameplay game such as a first-person shooter with a considerably higher pace may require significantly lower delay to be able to provide satisfying gameplay. But, the specific characteristic of the game matter. For example, fast chess is a turn-based game that is fast action and may not tolerate high lag. And, some twitch games can be designed such that only events that impact the outcome of the game introduce lag, allowing for fast local response most of the time.

Perhaps the most common type of lag is caused by network performance problems. Losses, corruption or jitter (an outdated packet is in effect a loss) may all cause problems, but these problems are relatively rare in network with sufficient bandwidth and no or little congestion. Instead, the latency involved in transmitting data between clients and server play a significant role. Latency varies depending on a number of factors, such as the physical distance between the end-systems, as a longer distance means additional transmission length and routing required and therefore higher latency,the question remains...does lag cause unequal fairness.....your comments...?

Lesser Wizard

interesting post..! You have covered the issue really well.. Tanked is a high pace game that requires quick reaction so it doesn't tolerate lag as well as slower pace games. Unfortunately'...I don't think any one player can cause lag deliberately .at least I hope not!!..it is annoying when you see players blaming lag when they lose games, but you never see them complaining when they 'win' games throw lag!!!........anyway on to your question..does lag cause unequal fairness!..I don't think it do because every single player is going to experience lag from time to time,. Sometimes its in your favour sometimes it not..so when you think about it in an overall and longer view it equals itself out..:sweatshop: .....here's a tip from tpn always look at the stats before you play. If its over 1.00 then don't play...go wash the car and wait for it to drop. It will reduce the lag and lost connections...type /stats,. You will see 3/ times 3 digit numbers.. You can wash my car to..don't be shy
    the truth will set you free

Lol truth you can wash my car but is it really possible to get 1.00? I never saw that before
    The Hawk Can Drive A Tank Like A Boss ( And Run You Over With A Beagle <3

Quote Originally Posted by darkhawk View Post
    Lol truth you can wash my car but is it really possible to get 1.00? I never saw that before
    Me either. The highest I have ever saw was .86.
    YOU CAN ACCOMPLISH ANYTHING IF YOU PUT YOUR EFFORT AND MIND INTO IT! (I am Zackery459)

Lesser Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by darkhawk View Post
    well yes it can go to 1.00 , but not very often now since Seth got the new server ....on the old server it peaked at 22.00........I just thought its a useful bit of info for the ppl that didn't. Know...............................and my car is still dirty........anyone !!!!!!

I used to lag. Once I fixed my router it worked though. Yeah the most I have ever seen is like 30.50! You can't play at all in that.
    For anyone who knows me from a long time ago I've started playing again but don't expect me to be as competitive as I once was (just play for fun now).:wheelchair: In Game account: Soccerfu Current points: 90k+

Quote Originally Posted by truth View Post
    well yes it can go to 1.00 , but not very often now since Seth got the new server ....on the old server it peaked at 22.00........I just thought its a useful bit of info for the ppl that didn't. Know...............................and my car is still dirty........anyone !!!!!!
    OH i thought it was The Win/Loss Ratio Lol The Highest I Ever Saw Was Like 30.00 I Know CRAZY

interesting post..! You have covered the issue really well.. Tanked is a high pace game that requires quick reaction so it doesn't tolerate lag as well as slower pace games. Unfortunately'...I don't think any one player can cause lag deliberately .at least I hope not!!..it is annoying when you see players blaming lag when they lose games, but you never see them complaining when they 'win' games throw lag!!!........anyway on to your question..does lag cause unequal fairness!..I don't think it do because every single player is going to experience lag from time to time,. Sometimes its in your favour sometimes it not..so when you think about it in an overall and longer view it equals itself out..:sweatshop: .....here's a tip from tpn always look at the stats before you play. If its over 1.00 then don't play...go wash the car and wait for it to drop. It will reduce the lag and lost connections...type /stats,. You will see 3/ times 3 digit numbers.. You can wash my car to..don't be shy
    I Always Do That And The Advice Was From Tp And You Lol I've Told alot of my friends to not play during this time since it's over 1.00 But Sometimes they dont listen i have a few screenshots of the stats i'll try and get it on A.S.A.P

Some good tips there truth thanks,yes it certainly is a topic that crops up on many or most online games,I personally don't play xbox,p-s, etc so am not sure how it goes on those systems,I've recently improved my bandwith but I think the journey across the pond doesn't help.

But with the soon to be working 4g systems this should improve those gamers connections who use the mobile networks (as I do) I spend allot of time on road (have an Rv)so Ive rigged up 3g routers,this is fine if all the system is running fast but its often clogged,
    The hour is near......

Lesser Wizard

this is for the ppl that don't know....if you type..../stats.....you will see three sets of numbers... Example. 0.04. 0.07. 0.09 ....the numbers you see are the 'server load' times for the last 2mins 5mins 10mins...or there abouts .....if you see the numbers go over 1.00. And upwards.. Then don't play because that's when you get more lost connections and lag.....however..since the new server have been installed the numbers hardly ever get that high !!:sweatshop: but its worth checking!!..if its high go to the tavern and chill for a bit!!........................orrrr wash my damn caaarrrr.!

Lesser Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    Some good tips there truth thanks,yes it certainly is a topic that crops up on many or most online games,I personally don't play xbox,p-s, etc so am not sure how it goes on those systems,I've recently improved my bandwith but I think the journey across the pond doesn't help.

But with the soon to be working 4g systems this should improve those gamers connections who use the mobile networks (as I do) I spend allot of time on road (have an Rv)so Ive rigged up 3g routers,this is fine if all the system is running fast but its often clogged,
    I'm not so sure if the physical distance between the server and the client makes any difference , the server is in the USA so if the physical distance causes time delay then all players outside the USA would be at a disadvantage !!...maybe Seth can answer the question for you !

e Yes this can be the case but it does depend on what type of server and the games settings are.

Sometimes game servers use extrapolating to predict the movement of a tank if its instructed packet is slow (or lost),I am not sure if the tanked server does this,but the problem with extrapolating is it can render players in positions they are not actually in,but I don't think the tanked server uses extrapol,saying that I am not an expert on the fundementals.
    The hour is near......

Yes agree , this can be the case ,but it does depend on what type of server and the games settings are.

Sometimes game servers use extrapolating to predict the movement of a position if its instructed packet is slow (or lost),I am not sure if the tanked server does this,but the problem with extrapolating is it can render players in positions they are not actually in,but I don't think the tanked server uses extrapol,saying that I am not an expert on the fundementals.
    The hour is near......

Whoops...:wheelchair:
    The hour is near......

I have noticed that in a game with a lot of panzer's the game gets more jittery due to the refresh rate required for more than one or two panzer's. Also, once you go over 43 players online, ghost tanks start to appear and disappear in the game. I have shot a number of players and they continue to play even though the game says I have killed them and they have turned dark. In one game I shot a player with two beagles pinned up against a wall. I went to drive away and was killed by the same player.

Lesser Wizard

Default ???

What the heck is Win/Loss radio?Somebody please fill me in.
    AnthonyS1C is me.Who are you?Like a great master once said"be you inner self"So im me?

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyS1C View Post
    Haven't you learned about ratio in school? You're like 14 you should've learned it did your math teacher teach it to you?

Lesser Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by ALien BBQ View Post
    I have noticed that in a game with a lot of panzer's the game gets more jittery due to the refresh rate required for more than one or two panzer's. Also, once you go over 43 players online, ghost tanks start to appear and disappear in the game. I have shot a number of players and they continue to play even though the game says I have killed them and they have turned dark. In one game I shot a player with two beagles pinned up against a wall. I went to drive away and was killed by the same player.
    yes, this has happened to me too, and multiple times I have seen tanks drive through me, and then I turn upside down and lose connection
    The capital of moo town is 3 doors down from the square root of 36 +2 camels means you have exactly 3.5 fish

Lesser Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyS1C View Post
    you know what it is Anthony,....you typed the word ''radio'' on purpose just to make yet another stupid post....

you know what it is Anthony,....you typed the word ''radio'' on purpose just to make yet another stupid post....
    Agreed with truth you should know what ratio is your 14 my brother already learned this when he was like 12 I think and we know you typed radio on purpose because ratio isn't a false word so the type check won't do anything AnthonyS1C no more spamming plz