Thread: PSY levels & SU

Hello,

I find that the PSY is important but have no incentive to waste tags on going beyond PSY10.

I think it would be good to learn a new skill every third level:

level 3 - new skill
    level 6 - new skill
    level 9 - new skill
    level12- new skill
    level15- new skill

This sure would make me pay more attention to PSY.

Also I think better more informative description of the courses, and how they would benifit you, something to read by clicking on them would be nice - not needed but a nice feature.

Advertising, Marketing, Sociology, Human Behavior or Funeral Parlor Management course(s) could be added as well to increase your knowledge and benifit you in some way.

Perhaps, even after taking ALL courses you can pay for a *degree* even this could have 3 - 4 levels as well.

*refresher* course(s) could be applied for after a long time period as you age and start forgetting or perhaps just a refresher to learn whats new in that field?

A lock picking course could prevent or lessen the damage of a broken lock pick, maybe it did not break this time or perhaps it would be necessary to USE the lockpick?

example fault message: "your amature attempt at lock picking resulted in your arrest and a broken lock pick - you spend the night in jail"

A course in criminology could provide the twins some insider tips to do a more sucessful arson job or increase the possibilty of success by a little bit (20% -> 33%)?
    * increasing these odds from 1-5 to 1-3 is great incentive to take the course!!

Seasons Greetings,
    Robert

Hi Robert, good ideas.

I should mention that improving your Psy skill past level 8 definitely DOES make a huge difference, each skill you know gets stronger. (the odds of it working get better and better)
    Seth A. Robinson
    Robinson Technologies

Lesser Knight

I like that the skills are all dealt out early, and then they are made extra later on...

Or how bout we choose courses to take, and we can pick which skills we want, and if we want to improve them...

So have an extra screen when you click on psy.

So lets say to see resistance, its 4.. to upgrade that its 8... upgrade again its 12

see limit is 5, upgrade is 9, upgrade again is 13

Cut resistance is 6.. upgrade is 10.. upgrade again is 14

cut mood is 7, upgrade is 11.. upgrade again 15

double spending is 8.. upgrade is 12.. upgrade again is 16

You can choose which course to learn a psy... then the next time, there will be an option to have deeper learning into that psy... etc

Just my two cents on adding more variety

EDIT: For the higher level psys, to cut resistance, one would have to take the resistance course first at its basic level... to cut mood, you would have to have taken the limit course at its basic level... and for the double spending, one would have to take any 3 courses at their basic level, or one with an upgraded level, and another at a basic, before they are allowed to take that course...

Like entrance exams, so to speak.

Jason Grandon
    Lord.Gandalf

Also known as banditcom on IGN.

Lesser Knight

Exclamation

Lord, it sounds good in principle, but it seems to be too complicated to be considered by Seth IMHO.

And, unless you only need very few tags to take PSY courses, it would belittle the importance of PSY classes even more. Now you only need 4+6+8+10+12(+14?)=40(or 54) tags to have all skills. And I believe some of the people don't even want to spend those tags right now on PSY! (Usually I was one of those people. )

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (mimifish @ Dec. 26 2002,9:01)]And I believe some of the people don't even want to spend those tags right now on PSY! (Usually I was one of those people. )

Hello,

Which is why I suggest that a new skill be learned at every third level - to encourage those to invest in PSY.

Robert

I was just as you - not interested in paying out tags for PSY.

A few months ago I played one FQ which my PSY was 4 !! and had no trouble getting near the top of the list of players. All my tags in that game was spent on strength and hit points.

BUT - if I knew that a PSY of 15 would double some customers spending limits - WOW !!! I am motivated to spend the tags to reap the benifit of the investment.

Only my humble opinion.
    Robert

Lesser Wizard

Instead of lengthening the psych tech tree, I suggest shortening the game. I've been experimenting with 14 day tournments (even with 7-day sprints) and I think the shorter durations work well. It's very difficult to come from behind in FQ, so if you come in late you're unlikely finish in the top position. FQ's open mode I think is masturbatory. FQ isn't really a RPG and there isn't that much to do in Deathsville but your Funeral Parlor Thang. In tournment mode, FQ could even be implemented as a real world board game and be entertaining (there's a growing market for alternative card/board games. See Cheap-Ass Games).

Perhaps the psych tree should scale to the length of the tournament? Perhaps there should only be limited choice of tournament durations (7, 14, 30, 60, 90 days).

Just playing devil's advocate here.

Lesser Knight

To Robert: I guessed you misread what I tried to say. Originally you can get a new skill every psy upgrade up to level 6, yet I didn't even bother to upgrade at all. I kept having PSY level 1 till the end of the end. If I can only have a new skill every 3 upgrade, I think I would pay even less attention to psy since you need much more tags to have a new skill which usually is not that useful.

Exclamation

Happy New Year!

In tournements - all that matters is hit points and strength beat your opponents for the BPs.( no time for anything else )

I was thinking more of the regular long term game - one can enter late and succeed but to do so takes time, which is afforded in a long game. Then PSY would be advantagous to those willing to invest.

A high level for skills could level the playing field, if set right, the advantage of High PSY could reap high BPs via sales vs those who choose to fight for the BPs via HP and strength.

Either way; my suggestion about something to read when at SU would help in both tournements and long term games. You could read what is *set* for that game - yes?

Best Wishes,
    robert

Lesser Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]In tournements - all that matters is hit points and strength beat your opponents for the BPs.( no time for anything else )
    I disagree. I invested quite a lot in Psych, (at Level 8) and I got 2nd place on the RTSoft Test Server. Well, it isn't done yet... but it looks that way. And I could still stand up to most people in a fight, except when someone burned down my parlor, and made it so everyone got to attack me first, as my gravestone amount was lowered.

Question

!!!!!!!!!! !!!!Happy New Year Everyone!!!!!!!!&# 33;!!!!!!! 2003 woohOO!! sorry i can't contain myself now

Yeah, Redink's right, I had a horrible start this tournament, I'd never played before. But thanks to lots of psy (ended at 8 too) I managed to skip over a whole bunch of peope and ended up at 8th place (I hope :P) while not investing too much in strength and hp (resulting in everyone kicking my ass)