Thread: Version 0.95 of the FQ server released

Smile

New version of the server here. (this is for admins running FQ games)

Here is what's new:

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]
    ** what's new in 0.95 **

* Fixed issue with maint_player.c not being able to access player vars correctly
    * Added new scripting hook newday_player.c, it runs right after the initial logon
     maint for each player.  (or if they stay on past midnight it will get run then too)
     This finally allows mods to change turns and things every day.
    * Added modulus (%) op to the scripting language at Joe Johnston's request, special thanks
     to Joe also for noticing all the scripting errors and helping me fix them.
    * Added command "Random" to FQscript.  It already had RandomRange(min,max) but Random(max) is just
     something every language should have.
    * Replaced my crap FQ scripting documentation with Joe Johnston's version that he was nice enough to donate
    * Added relevant links to the FQ Admin help page
    * Many misc supporting libraries that FQ uses have been updated for speed and bugfixes
    * IP Address shown at the beginning is now correct even on systems with multiple IP's
    * Default screen size for the server dialog is slightly bigger now, shows more log
    * I now show a "type this from the browser" address to help new admins understand what
     to give to people to play.
    Seth A. Robinson
    Robinson Technologies

Lesser Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Seth @ Dec. 04 2003,8:40)]New version of the server
    Here is what's new:

** what's new in 0.95 **

* Fixed issue with maint_player.c not being able to access player vars correctly
    * Added new scripting hook newday_player.c, it runs right after the initial logon maint for each player. (or if they stay on past midnight it will get run then too) This finally allows mods to change turns and things every day.
    * Added modulus (%) op to the scripting language at Joe Johnston's request, special thanks to Joe also for noticing all the scripting errors and helping me fix them.
    * Added command "Random" to FQscript. It already had RandomRange(min,max) but Random(max) is just something every language should have.
    * Replaced my crap FQ scripting documentation with Joe Johnston's version that he was nice enough to donate
    * Added relevant links to the FQ Admin help page
    * Many misc supporting libraries that FQ uses have been updated for speed and bugfixes
    * IP Address shown at the beginning is now correct even on systems with multiple IP's
    * Default screen size for the server dialog is slightly bigger now, shows more log
    * I now show a "type this from the browser" address to help new admins understand what
    to give to people to play.
    Thanks, Seth. The feature set looks great. I'll do a little testing and have Daisypark upgraded this weekend.

I'll have to update the scripting doc too, I think, at some point.

Seth,
    It was not dummy proof!!
    I wasn't thinking and installed it over my current game!eh eh! No harm done, I had a back up.

May need time you could have an upgrade zip as well for us dumb dumbs?
    ----------------------------=Lance - Vance=-------------------

Lesser Wizard

Lance does bring up the sore point that upgrading an FQ install with local mods is difficult. I don't have a clue of the best way to handle this. Maybe FQ needs a plugin directory that doesn't get overwritten? But how can you handle things that need to modify global files? Would each plugin directory have it's own init.c file? The problem isn't trivial to fix. I've brought this up before, but I don't think mods were as popular then.

Until this is addressed, here's my warning to those using Bingo Night and other mods:

BLINDLY UPGRADING FQ WILL PROBABLY BLOW AWAY YOU LOCAL MODS.

The best way to handle this is to install the new FQ into a new directory and rebuild all the mods. TEST THE NEW FQ. Then shutdown the old server and start the new one.

Seth, I think you're the only one who can design the protocol by which third party mods are not deleted during an FQ upgrade. This is a lot of work, though. Mods are hard enough to write now. If the mechanism that allows for smooth FQ upgrades involves writting a windows installer, the barrier for new mod writers becomes a lot higher. I can't think of another system that handles plugins smoothly other than the linux kernel (kernel modules live in one directory and are loaded dynamically) and mozilla browers (all the plugin DLL files live in one directory and are self contained). FQ mods are rarely self contained and that's the crux of the problem.

It would be super to be able to specify all the mod's globals in one file that's not shared by anything else. For instances, it would be nice to have something like init.c for each mod.

I don't really have a solution. I'm just spitballing some ideas.

Talking

Yeah it is a problem. Originally the idea of mods was a bit shortsighted, modding a game being one complete mod rather than many little ones. (changing everything to go with a theme rather than one small part)

For this version, there are no scripting changes so you can just copy all your old scripts over the new install without any problems.
    Seth A. Robinson
    Robinson Technologies

Lesser Wizard

Just a tip:

If you're running FQ on an Win98 box (like I am), you'll need to reboot the box before FQ v0.95 will run correctly.  Even though the admin screen appears, the server doesn't bind to the TCP port until the reboot.  I assume this is a DLL issue of some kind.  I don't think NT-like OSes are affected.  This is a trailing edge problem, so I wouldn't expect Seth to address it.

Just another tip:

The easiest and safest way to upgrade FQ is to install the 0.95 into a new folder.  Then, copy over the entire "script" folder and any HTML pages you may have altered to the new folder.  This gives you an easy way to roll back to the old FQ if you need to.

Lesser Wizard

Seth,

I have installed FQ into a new folder. I'd like to preserve the Hall of Fame data. I can't figure out which file holds this info. What file does? Can I copy that into the new folder if users have already started creating new characters?

Lesser Wizard

system.dat, perhaps?

Ever since I switched to 0.95 I get the following message

Sorry, there are already 0 players logged on right now which is the max this server will allow. Please try again in a few minutes.

I totally reset the game, and no go

Unless the server can plug into seth's server it will give you that screen. Maybe your isp blocked some ports or something?