Thread: Scripting in Unicode?

Lesser Wizard

Seth,

Thanks for the scripting system. You've given us a powerful tool to be even more twisted and macabre. However, when I fired up ye olde emacs to read the scripts, I found that every other character was a null. At first I thought these were executables, then looked more closely and realized that the characters were in unicode. So my questions are two fold:

<ul>[*]Will plain 8-bit ASCII files work in your scripting engine?
    [*]Do you plan to release a quick reference guide to the language? I suspect "FQ C" will be a bit like DinkC. ;-)[/list]

Thanks again for the maintenance release and I&#39;m happy that you found some of tweaks entertaining. I hope to have time to do more later.

Everything is unicode only - standard old school ANSI is not supported. (All my future stuff will be unicode to support Japanese and other languages, so the scripting module was optimized around this)

Notepad.exe (under Win2K+) will automatically handle the files fine (the first two bytes tell editors it&#39;s a unicode file automatically), also text editors like UltraEdit and such do a great job. (with color formatting of the code which is nice&#33

The scripting system is the same one used in Teenage Lawn Mower and if you download the TLM editor (you don&#39;t have to buy the game to get this, but you may need the demo installed first, can&#39;t remember) you can access a bit of documentation on the scripting system. It is a bit like Dink&#39;s but with string support and virtually no hardcoded limits on size, global/local variables or # of scripts that can be run at the same time. And much faster.

I hope to include some decent documentation on it in the v1.00 release. I&#39;ve also commented the scripts I&#39;ve done, for instance you could probably fiigure out how to add a random event to events.c pretty easily by editing that file.

Your events really worked out well, thanks again&#33; Akiko did the body on the table for the "dead model" event and may do some more custom art for them.
    Seth A. Robinson
    Robinson Technologies

Lesser Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Seth @ Dec. 17 2002,9:21)]Notepad.exe (under Win2K+) will automatically handle the files fine (the first two bytes tell editors it&#39;s a unicode file automatically), also text editors like UltraEdit and such do a great job.  (with color formatting of the code which is nice&#33
    Bummer&#33; I&#39;m running this on a win98 box&#33; I&#39;ll grab the UltraEdit program. I also have XP running on a box next to it, but I prefer editting on the same machine. I&#39;ll work it out.

Thanks for the tip about the TLM. I&#39;ll have a look.

I did see the new art. Gruesome. ;-)

This is only slightly related to the scripts being unicode, but have you ever thought about choosing a new file extension? With Dink it always seemed odd to me that they just used .c evcen though they weren&#39;t really C. Now these aren&#39;t even ASCII. Maybe as fqc (Funeral Quest C) or rtc (RTSoft C)?

It could be helpful because people may want Windows or their text editor software to handle them differently than real C files.