Thread: Game play and dynamics

Lesser Wizard

Too Much Luck?

Events and news items that award luck should do so grudgingly. Characters with very high luck values will greatly benefit from risks. Rapidly achieving high luck values takes the fun out of risks (risks themselves should have more fearsome consequences than simply losing BP). I will be reviewing my mods and reducing the risk awards (and possibly adding more luck reducing events).

Your thoughts?

I agree, in the game I'm trying to run I've kept the starting point of luck pretty low, so people have to work for a few days before they can enjoy the benifits of high luck.
    --Heretic Man. Hey, it's better than being an Infidel!

Lesser Wizard

What's the incenerator for? Is that feature implemented yet?

Talking

Nope, the incenerator is not implemented yet.
    Seth A. Robinson
    Robinson Technologies

Lesser Wizard

Tournaments: Come from behind?

In tournament play it appears that the earlier you start the more likely you are to win. Late comers have almost no chance to catch up. This can be modified a bit with more aggressive risk bonus, but luck is too easily gained right now. Players need another method of garnering BP or else the tournaments really won't be that interesting for them.

I suggest tournaments should be limited to 2 weeks tops and even 1 week seems sufficient. Who can remember to play for a whole month? Who wants to?

Perhaps I need to look at my own mods:

<ul>[*]reduce luck bonuses across the board[*]Beef up BP? (note to self: think about this carefully)[/list]

In the daily news blurbs, it might be helpful to be able to direct bonus/penalties to say the top three players. This "act of God" could do much to topple tournament leaders and keep the game interesting for the other competitors.

Thumbs up

just wanted to thank john publicly those mods are doing verry well on my server and my players love it....thanks again
    > Nieveseri`s Castle http://agron.scieron.com:12345 or
    > http://wp.scieron.com:12345
    > play funeral quest http://agron.scieron.com:12346 or
    > http://wp.scieron.com:12346
    > telnet:agron.scieron.com or telnet:wp.scieron.com

Lesser Knight

I, for one, was one of the players that did not like to have any luck events at all. Beside the humor behind some of the events outcome, 50-point gain is even worse than a &#036;800 wood sale in my opinion. You can easily get lots of more points from other places (making sale within &#036;50 of maximum, beating players with high BP&#39;s), but you can never get extra plot and sale tags once you finish upgrading your car.

As for coming from behind, that is REALLY tough. But, unless you really re-write the game criteria, you cannot do anything FAIRLY to help people to catch up from behind, especially if the top player is good at the game. How can you compensate early players&#39; adventage in plot number and total tags (i.e. taking a lot of classes or hearse upgrade)? If you do use some "Act of GOD", then those regulars who come into your server daily might lose interests as well.

From my past experience, a short tournament is even HARDER to catch up, even for a great player if he missed one single day or had a bad day. A 20- to 30-day tournament (of 15 to 20 turns a day) is the better choice for a game. For example, you need 100 gold tags to buy the top hearse. Nobody would even try to get it if the game lasts only 14 days, let alone 7 days.

Call me naive, but I thought the best game should be set up so that the best player(s) can win.

I did have several ideas about how to change this game (the whole game play) so that both new comers and old players can have different satisfaction and it is not that horrible if you miss some of the action. But I am not going to say it again (I said quite a lot back then before the OLD forum went down) I&#39;ll just wait and see if Seth is going to do any change in the future version.

Yep Mimi I have your suggestions carefully tucked away in the "FQ upgrade" box.

I&#39;m actually kind of getting excited about doing some FQ work and I&#39;m willing to risk pissing off current players by implementing some major changes.

The only real problem is my server is going to be located in Japan which is going to be a not-so-great ping for (most of the) players, but it&#39;s the only way I can really work on FQ.
    Seth A. Robinson
    Robinson Technologies

Lesser Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]The only real problem is my server is going to be located in Japan which is going to be a not-so-great ping for (most of the) players, but it&#39;s the only way I can really work on FQ.
    That reminded me of something... could it be possible to make a Perl-based version of FQ?  So instead of having to host it on your own computer, you could just upload it to some freebie CGI-compatible server...

Dang.  But then the source would be open, and people could just remove the server-checking stuff, and have a huge server for free... dang.

Lesser Knight

Hello everyone. Can someone explain to me, how you can have under 5,000 bury points, but have the best hearse, 122 hit points, and hit people with 30 hit points?

Nieveseri`s Castle has a player with these stats, and it just happens to be the owner of the server.

This is not the first time that he has messed around with the stats of a player, but what&#39;s the point of playing this game, if the owner is just going to cheat like this?

Lesser Knight

The server host basically can do anything regarding the stat, everyone&#39;s. He can give himself anything, or take away anything from anybody.

That reminds me that once I played a server and the server host did the same thing. I can do nothing against him but decided to steal from him. Next time I log in, he reset my BP&#39;s to 1, my luck to zero, and zero tags in my pocket.

So if a server host decided to cheat, the only thing you can do is not playing his game.

Lesser Wizard

Quote[/b] (nieveseri @ Oct. 13 2002,16:08)]  just wanted to thank john publicly those mods are doing verry well on my server and my players love it....thanks again

Thanks for the thanks. I think I share Seth&#39;s "fractured take on modern life." I&#39;ve got a few more ideas now (thanks to reading Poe, Lovecraft and Phillip K. richard :-) -- I just need the time to implement them.

Lesser Wizard

Quote[/b] (mimifish @ Oct. 14 2002,02:19)]I, for one, was one of the players that did not like to have any luck events at all. Beside the humor behind some of the events outcome, 50-point gain is even worse than a &#036;800 wood sale in my opinion. You can easily get lots of more points from other places (making sale within &#036;50 of maximum, beating players with high BP&#39;s), but you can never get extra plot and sale tags once you finish upgrading your car.

As for coming from behind, that is REALLY tough. But, unless you really re-write the game criteria, you cannot do anything FAIRLY to help people to catch up from behind, especially if the top player is good at the game. How can you compensate early players&#39; adventage in plot number and total tags (i.e. taking a lot of classes or hearse upgrade)? If you do use some "Act of GOD", then those regulars who come into your server daily might lose interests as well.

From my past experience, a short tournament is even HARDER to catch up, even for a great player if he missed one single day or had a bad day. A 20- to 30-day tournament (of 15 to 20 turns a day) is the better choice for a game. For example, you need 100 gold tags to buy the top hearse. Nobody would even try to get it if the game lasts only 14 days, let alone 7 days.

Call me naive, but I thought the best game should be set up so that the best player(s) can win.

I did have several ideas about how to change this game (the whole game play) so that both new comers and old players can have different satisfaction and it is not that horrible if you miss some of the action. But I am not going to say it again (I said quite a lot back then before the OLD forum went down)  I&#39;ll just wait and see if Seth is going to do any change in the future version.

Luckily, it is easy to disable risks entirely from the game. Personally, I like risks because I find haggling with customers tedious. I also think risks present an opportunity to help late comers to tournaments.

If luck were a player attribute like Strength, I think the risks would improve the game. After all, raising stats is a laborous process. I think luck could be temporarily raised for the day by random events, but reset at night.  

As far as the extra plot/sales tags, I do think that risks should be able to award these things. I hope Seth provides a more robust scripting environment for risks. Wouldn&#39;t it be cool to script the customers? I think so.

I will try a few short tournaments at the end of the current one at daisypark. I prefer wind sprints to marathons.  

Quote[/b] ]

Ah, but how do you define "best player"? There&#39;s more running a funeral home then haggling and I hope that new game mechanisms help foster players to find new paths to victory. Take another game I love: Civilization II. Sure, you can beat your opponents senseless and win -- OR you can try to win the space race (which I think is harder to do). Having multiple paths to victory makes the game enjoyable over the long haul.

Lesser Knight

Hmmm, it&#39;s been a while since several posts about FQ in such a short time. It shows that there are still people who care about this game... So Seth do your work, now&#33;

As for jjohn&#39;s opinions, well, if you did have chance to read my whole strategy about current FQ game as well as all my suggestions/discussions about FQ, you would have known that I was the one who wanted FQ to be as diverse as possible. I did suggest some complicated way to improve current "pure random luck" event setup since I didn&#39;t think it would be fair to completely drop out the whole luck events. (At some point, the creator, Seth, did consider to take away the whole luck event setup.)

As for the "best player(s)", that means they really know how to handle FQ business. Even using different strategy to spend their tags, they can still put them into a position to come out on top.

Unfortunately, Seth preferred to keep this game simple. (Or did you change your mind, Seth? ) So, unless he let FQ be like Dink so that you CAN change how the game works, I don&#39;t think you will get what you really want. Neither do I.

Got to go to sleep now. (Local time :2:05 am)

Quote[/b] (wartortle @ Oct. 14 2002,07:27)]Hello everyone.  Can someone explain to me, how you can have under 5,000 bury points, but have the best hearse, 122 hit points, and hit people with 30 hit points?

Nieveseri`s Castle has a player with these stats, and it just happens to be the owner of the server.

This is not the first time that he has messed around with the stats of a player, but what&#39;s the point of playing this game, if the owner is just going to cheat like this?
    gee you are realy upset about this I see well let it now be said that I am a cheater after all I must be like in last place on my server but hey thats o.k. I just deleted my own account and will no longer play on my own server is that o.k. with you wartortle?...now you can try and win but remember that it wasnt me that stopped you..I dont attack other players....now lets see what excuse you will use now for not winning..p.s. you statements in the news on my server scared off 10 players..so i would like to thank you for that it wasnt a verry nice thing to do..remember we sysops offfer our computers on the internet as a free service to our users...we enjoy them logging on....I have a bbs a website and the gameserver online the least you could have done was send me an e-mail expressing how you felt before coming to an open forum an embarrasing me like this
    I thought you were a mature individual but I guess not....for future reference please dont log on to my server..you are disruptive to the natural ecology and un welcome on my computer
    > Nieveseri`s Castle http://agron.scieron.com:12345 or
    > http://wp.scieron.com:12345
    > play funeral quest http://agron.scieron.com:12346 or
    > http://wp.scieron.com:12346
    > telnet:agron.scieron.com or telnet:wp.scieron.com

Lesser Knight

Thanks for replying to my message here. As such, I&#39;m going to reply to you here too.

"gee you are realy upset about this" - Oh yes... boo hoo&#33;

"I see well let it now be said that I am a cheater" - That&#39;s not in doubt. Cheater.

"after all I must be like in last place on my server" - But you had the best car, most hp, etc. So you cheated to get them.

"but hey thats o.k. I just deleted my own account and will no longer play on my own server is that o.k. with you wartortle?" - It doesn&#39;t affect me, I am not playing on your game. However, it does affect the people who are playing.

"now you can try and win but remember that it wasnt me that stopped you" and then you said "for future reference please dont log on to my server" - Why do I find this funny?

"I dont attack other players" - Does this include the player whose stats you changed, without them knowing?

"now lets see what excuse you will use now for not winning" - I think I&#39;ll use the "I&#39;m not going to play on a cheating game" excuse, thank you.

"p.s. you statements in the news on my server scared off 10 players" - Don&#39;t shoot the messenger, question the message... which was that you were cheating (as you admitted).

"so i would like to thank you for that" - I didn&#39;t do it as a favour to you, I did it so everyone knew what you were doing. I didn&#39;t *make* anyone leave.

"it wasnt a verry nice thing to do..remember we sysops offfer our computers on the internet as a free service to our users" - And then you take advantage of it. Either enjoy the feeling you get of being kind, or be a cheat, but don&#39;t be both.

"we enjoy them logging on....I have a bbs a website and the gameserver online the least you could have done was send me an e-mail expressing how you felt before coming to an open forum an embarrasing me like this" - You&#39;ve just came onto a public forum and admitted that you cheated at a game. Do you need any help from me?

"you are disruptive to the natural ecology and un welcome on my computer ???" - Whatever you say&#33;

In closing, FQ is a fun game, but only when everyone plays fair. Like a lot of games though, the few cheats spoil it for the majority. I&#39;ll ask everyone, should we not point out who the cheats are? Think about it.

Wink

Y&#39;know what, it&#39;s a game.  Nieveseri, you were naughty. Wartortle, you&#39;re a baby. Like they said, people can do whatever they want with their servers - nobody&#39;s stopping you from running your own, are they? I don&#39;t play a lot of FQ, but I accept that there are better players than me and I just accept my position in the middle of the pack. I don&#39;t whine about it.