Thread: How To: Installing Android on HP Touchpad

Default How To: Installing Android on HP Touchpad

How to Install Android on the HP Touchpad

After getting several request for help after mentioning how easy it is in another thread, I decided to create a dedicated how-to thread on the topic. I have used the following method several times with success every time. As of April 2, the files where malware and virus free from the sources I have shared below.

A benefit of using this method is that it is dual boot, meaning that you can either choose webOS or Android when you restart your Touchpad!

If you do not follow these instructions carefully, there is a chance that you can brick your device. While this is a risk, I have never had this happen. Please read through all the instructions before doing anything.

Let's Get Started!!!

1. Start by downloading and installing both Java and the Novacom Software onto your PC or Mac Computer. These files are required before doing the next step.

2. The Novacom software you installed will create a new folder called Palm, Inc. You will need to place the ACMEInstaller5/5E/5m files into this Palm, Inc folder. By default this folder will be located on your PC @ C:/Program Files/ Palm, Inc. Mac OS X users will find this folder @ /opt/nova/bin. Download the files and copy and paste them right into either of these directories.

-ACMEInstaller5E (Install Evervolv AOSP Android, or Flash .zips located in the cminstall folder)

3. Choose One of the following versions of Android. Download your chosen package and extract it to your PC. The extracted cminstall folder will contain 4 zipped files needed to install Android. I included some of the important features each of these builds have. Choose which ever one you want. The first option is the latest version.

Android Installation Package Downloads:

4. Attach your HP TouchPad to your PC with the USB cable and place it into USB Drive Mode(WebOS). Open the extracted folder and transfer the cminstall folder(Contains 4 .zips) into the Internal Storage of your HP TouchPad; the location that opens when the USB is attached to the PC. Make sure that the folder is named "cminstall" and contains 4 .zip files. Once complete, disconnect your TouchPad from the USB cable.

5. Once the cminstall files are on The HP TouchPad, it’s time to reboot into WebOS Recovery mode. On your PC look for the USB icon in the bottom right corner, click it and eject the HP TouchPad. Disconnect the USB cable. Reboot the device by going into Settings > Device Info and select Reset Options. Choose Restart.

6. As soon as the screen goes dark hold down the volume up button until you enter WebOS Recovery mode(aka USB Mode). Note* the large USB symbol that should be on the screen. If you miss it just reboot again and hold down the Volume up button right away. Now connect your USB cable to the PC.

7. Open a Command Prompt or Terminal

On a PC:

On a Mac:

8. Using the Command Prompt or Terminal, either type or copy and paste the following into the command prompt (without the part in parentheses).

On your PC:

On your Mac:

In the same Command Prompt or Terminal, run the following commands (without the part in parentheses).

On your PC:

On your Mac:

9. You should see a bunch of lines of text scrolling on the HP TouchPad while Android is installing. Now disconnect the USB cable from the HP TouchPad. Once this is complete you will be greeted with the Moboot menu and Android will boot for the first time.

10. Now all you have to do is to follow the on screen instructions to setup Android!!!

Congratulations!!! Wasn't that easy?

Give yourself a pat on the back if all went well. If it didn't, and your device isn't bricked (i.e. it still can boot to webOS), then feel free to post any questions below. I will do my best to help you out.

Edit:

For those of you who want a video version, here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0fXhwyN6Jk
    Last edited by Blenderite; 06-13-2014 at 11:03 PM.
    I am not a Moderator. I just like helping people out!

ǎ̌̌̌̌̌̌̌̌̌̌̌̌̌̌̌̌̌̌̌̌̌̌̌̌̌̌̌̌̌̌̌̌̌̌̌̌̌̌̌̌̌̌̌̌̌̌̌̌

Quote Originally Posted by Blenderite View Post
    How to Install Android on the HP Touchpad

After getting several request for help after mentioning how easy it is in another thread, I decided to create a dedicated how-to thread on the topic. I have used the following method several times with success every time. As of April 2, the files where malware and virus free from the sources I have shared below.

A benefit of using this method is that it is dual boot, meaning that you can either choose webOS or Android when you restart your Touchpad!

If you do not follow these instructions carefully, there is a chance that you can brick your device. While this is a risk, I have never had this happen. Please read through all the instructions before doing anything.

Let's Get Started!!!

1. Start by downloading and installing both Java and the Novacom Software onto your PC or Mac Computer. These files are required before doing the next step.

2. The Novacom software you installed will create a new folder called Palm, Inc. You will need to place the ACMEInstaller5/5E/5m files into this Palm, Inc folder. By default this folder will be located on your PC @ C:/Program Files/ Palm, Inc. Mac OS X users will find this folder @ /opt/nova/bin. Download the files and copy and paste them right into either of these directories.

-ACMEInstaller5E (Install Evervolv AOSP Android, or Flash .zips located in the cminstall folder)

3. Choose One of the following versions of Android. Download your chosen package and extract it to your PC. The extracted cminstall folder will contain 4 zipped files needed to install Android. I included some of the important features each of these builds have. Choose which ever one you want. The first option is the latest version.

Android Installation Package Downloads:

4. Attach your HP TouchPad to your PC with the USB cable and place it into USB Drive Mode(WebOS). Open the extracted folder and transfer the cminstall folder(Contains 4 .zips) into the Internal Storage of your HP TouchPad; the location that opens when the USB is attached to the PC. Make sure that the folder is named "cminstall" and contains 4 .zip files. Once complete, disconnect your TouchPad from the USB cable.

5. Once the cminstall files are on The HP TouchPad, it’s time to reboot into WebOS Recovery mode. On your PC look for the USB icon in the bottom right corner, click it and eject the HP TouchPad. Disconnect the USB cable. Reboot the device by going into Settings > Device Info and select Reset Options. Choose Restart.

6. As soon as the screen goes dark hold down the volume up button until you enter WebOS Recovery mode(aka USB Mode). Note* the large USB symbol that should be on the screen. If you miss it just reboot again and hold down the Volume up button right away. Now connect your USB cable to the PC.

7. Open a Command Prompt or Terminal

On a PC:

On a Mac:

8. Using the Command Prompt or Terminal, either type or copy and paste the following into the command prompt (without the part in parentheses).

On your PC:

On your Mac:

In the same Command Prompt or Terminal, run the following commands (without the part in parentheses).

On your PC:

On your Mac:

9. You should see a bunch of lines of text scrolling on the HP TouchPad while Android is installing. Now disconnect the USB cable from the HP TouchPad. Once this is complete you will be greeted with the Moboot menu and Android will boot for the first time.

10. Now all you have to do is to follow the on screen instructions to setup Android!!!

Congratulations!!! Wasn't that easy?

Give yourself a pat on the back if all went well. If it didn't, and your device isn't bricked (i.e. it still can boot to webOS), then feel free to post any questions below. I will do my best to help you out.

Note: This was based off a video I found on youtube a while back, the exact location of which I can no longer find. Luckily I had saved all the links. Lucky me.
    And I'm Gonna Read This?
    Nahh...

You will when Seth kills webOS...

Oh yo yo... there's a demon inside...oh yo yo...just like Jekyll 'n Hyde...

Quote Originally Posted by Blenderite View Post
    You will when Seth kills webOS...
    Hear him, aye.

Quotable quotes:

Selling HTB Seeds 5/WL in vending at B2SEEDS

Well explained! I don't have a touchpad but yea, as I said, well explained!
    Watch me play Tanked:
    NEW CHANNEL: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtNm9RSoslZnFayXZOhZLIw
    OLD CHANNEL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNlvMLLR6XM

Beware, I love trolling!

I've gotten a little inactive on tanked lately, and since I see no webOS-kickout, there will be no comeback.
    In Growtopia I'm around as the fabulouzz Psychoman.
    See you there! Meet me in my World MRLAVA or in my farm, TEQUILAFARM.

Knock, knock. Open up thread!

Ok Blenderite...

Thx JunBug!

Oh yo yo... there's a demon inside...oh yo yo...just like Jekyll 'n Hyde...

Good, its open again.

Quotable quotes:

Selling HTB Seeds 5/WL in vending at B2SEEDS

Squire

Default issues with Android

I got Android installed on my Touchpad..however, I have a double screen, I can't see the controls at the bottom of the screen. Any ideas how to fix it. It affects playing so I have gone back to webos.
    What is the best version of Android for tanked please.
    Last edited by rocket; 06-16-2014 at 09:50 PM.

Can you post a screen shot please?
    You killed yourdog. I must report you to PETA.

Yeah, post a screenshot please. I don't quite understand what you are describing.

Serf

Default Very nicely explained!

Thanks a lot, iv been wanting to do this for a while! Nice Job Blend, thx a lot!

No problem. If you have any questions feel free to ask.