Thread: Games for cell phones

Thumbs up

Seth,

Which phones are you developing for? Any hints for a good SDK and emulators etc?

Brent

Hey Brent!

I'm currently developing with the Qualcomm BREW api and Nokia's series 60. (N-Gage/7650) (they are completely different, can't really share much code)

Also just got a Zodiac pre-release unit and am playing with that. (it's not a phone, more like a gaming PDA, but it's cool)

Basically, each platform comes with one emulator which will 'sort of' work, and it's free to download.

BREW dev info:  http://www.qualcomm.com/brew/develop...resources.html

Nokia dev info: http://www.forum.nokia.com/main.html

Seth A. Robinson
    Robinson Technologies

I just purchased (have yet to receive) the Nokia 3300 (series 40) and am considering some development for N-Gage.

Gonna go for the super simple game and build from there (have you heard this before?)

Have you researched the business and distrubition models? Any shortcuts there?

Brent

What Seth has failed to mention is that all those years sitting in front of his monitor has allowed him to grow extra arms and a 2nd mouth so he can use most of these phones at the same time!

You go Seth!

Brent

Well, there is pretty much only one shortcut I know - make sure your game is a well known famous license, that's what the networks and distributers all want.

But at least with Series 60/J2ME you can get stuff running on people's phones easy enough, with BREW it's a big hassle just to get stuff available to a customer. (need true BREW certification, distribution, picked up by a network, jump through 450 hoops, etc)
    Seth A. Robinson
    Robinson Technologies

Seth,

I just released a BREW title and I couldn't agree more.  I experienced the 450 HOOPS and the unprofessionalism from the companies involved.

I am considering other handheld platforms. How does the J2ME platform comapre in terms of cost to develop, distribution and hoops?

Thanks

-Mickey