Thread: question about programming

Peasant

Hi everyone. I am rather new to this forum and learned about RTsoft from searching for freeware. I am a newbie programmer who in the past has mostly used tools such as Multimedia Fusion, NWN, A ScreenSaver util from nufsoft, etc., to make my stuff. However After running into limitations on them I really want to learn programming so I can make the things myself. To most people who know programming this will probably be a stupid question but where do I begin? I dloaded the Dink smallwood game and am trying my hand at learning programming from using the tutorials and such. But I would realy like to learn more. Before you recommend a college course please understand I am (thanks to the economy)currently unemployed and use the net for almost all of my learning these days heh.

I know some of the fundamentals and thought this would be a good place to ask. If its not I apologize. So what do you reccomend?

Oh! to check out what I have been able to accomplish so far please check out Digital Dreamscapes . This is my site for the screensavers I create. I was given a student copy of Visual C++ 6.0 from a friend who moved on to an updated version so I figure I can start with it.

Owner/Operator/CEO/Lead Programmer/Lead Artist/Wearing Too Many Darned Hats To Count/Webmaster, of Digital Dreamscapes. Creator of low cost, high quality screensavers.
    http://www.digitaldreamscapes.org

I would suggest going to a book store and looking in the computer section and find a book of *chough* download a ilegal pdf *cough*

CyberDoc,

I will recommend to you that you do some googling and find some free online tutorials on c or c++ programming. I recommend you study c++ and not c. You can also find some very good developer forums on other websites. There is definitely a lot of free information on the internet.

Borders and Barnes and Noble both have very good computer programming book sections. Even if you can't afford it, you can also spend the day at the booksotre, reading great books for free. When I was younger and poorer, I would do that quite often.

Check out sourceforge.com. Find yourself a very simple and small project, download the source. Study it. Try to join the development team and begin working on and understanding the project. If your lucky, you might get the chance to work with other developers who might be able to mentor you (for free&#33.

Tackle small simple stuff at first. Always keep it fun. Good software developers are good because they truly enjoy programming.

Have patience, work hard.

Good luck.

-Mickey

ok, i know this is a bit late, but i have to say that you should begin with a easier language like python first, then go to c++ it's very useful to have programmed some before start with c++.
    And for python there is MUCH good tutorials and so on on da net.
    <HTML>
    python site
    </HTML>
    good luck with your studys

ps I have learned evrything i know &#39;bout programming on da net to    

Hi, I&#39;m an experienced C++ developer so I&#39;m speaking out of lots of experience i nthe programming industry (unlike some people ). The best way to start would be to learn C first, THEN C++. THen learn an API.

PS. Be sure to get a GOOD book on C++, or else youll be left confused.

im not experienced in programming but i made some newby games with game maker u can download it at http://www.gamemaker.nl
    but u cant make 3d only 2d so if u wanna make 3d
    then u need another program u have to make your images icons by your self or u can download some recources

srry i cant speak english but im doeing my best and sorry for the advertise

bye

I would recommend you first start learning the basics of programming.. learn what an array is, what a data type is, what inheritance is, what OOP, etc. It doesn't matter exactly what language you learn - just understand the basic concepts. Know your algorithms and data structures.

Afterwards, I'd just start focusing on just 1 language, and learn it. Learn it well.
    I have an extremely healthy colon. Ask me why!

Default Gaming

Try unity3d I've said to much