Thread: Dungeon Scroll Gold Edition Beta Available

Well, I've listened to the suggestions and made a ton of improvements, not quite enough to be Dungeon Scroll II, but way more than a simple update.

Here is if you care to give it a shot and me know whacha think: Beta Page
    Seth A. Robinson
    Robinson Technologies

I really liked the (new) artwork... I kinda wanted a real boss at the end, though.

The skills were also an interesting touch... some skills made the game faster ("curse" and the thing that makes your spelling more powerful,) while others slowed it down (extra health.) Obviously, the first category of skills make it easier to survive, but the second set of skills makes it easier to get high scores. On the whole, they're quite well balanced. The monsters seem a little too soft now, though.

I beat the game on the highest difficulty in one try (due to good tiles, mainly.) The high score submission thing didn't work, but that could be the fault of my connection or firewall.

All in all, it's a really good upgrade.

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, despite monsters ramping up in strength in the later levels, the book power-ups might be actually making the game easier then the star by the end which is a little odd. (well, depending on what power-ups you're offered/choose) Hrm.
    Seth A. Robinson
    Robinson Technologies

I too, am appreciative of the game upgrade. However, I can't help but agree that the game is too easy now - I beat the game in 45 minutes, and have 15 minutes left of the trial period!

I was also unable to submit my high score, but that was not the worst problem I came across. The worst problem was that I could not get the game to run on Windows 98SE. The program just crashes. For a beta version, this is understandable, but I can't help but wonder whether the Gold version will support this old but sturdy OS?

Another question - as I purchased the original game, will I be able to use my old unlock key for the Gold edition, or will I have to get a new one?

The original keys will all work with the gold version, even after it's real release. After release, gold edition will be the only version available from here.

I think 45 minutes spent on one game is about right and it shouldn't go longer (the last game could go for on too long, you only lost because you got really bad luck like two bosses in a row, things like that, that can't happen in this new version)

So what it comes down to is really cranking on the score and doing high damage words to get more points.

"Wizard mode" should offer more of a challenge.

I will probably up the monster difficulty of later monsters a tad and add a more fancy 'final boss' though.

If someone can reach the end of the game in one hour, that's actually ok with me, if they get tired of the game in an hour, I don't think they should have to pay for it. Hopefully people will get addicted and think it's fun enough to play more than once.

Not being able to post highscores - I see people doing it so I know it's not completely broken, but if you have any more info on that, please let me know. I don't know of any problems with it on this end.

I have tested with Windows 98 (albiet a Japanese OS) and it ran perfectly, so it's a bummer it didn't run on your 98SE. Maybe you could check the directory for an error.log file?
    Seth A. Robinson
    Robinson Technologies

Ok, final version released.

The main change I've made since the beta is how I handle high damage words, now, each point above 30 damage gives 80 points, so using the multipliers etc it's possible to score in the millions, I think this will be more fun, the scoring element was kind of too predictable before.

You can download it from the normal DS page now.
    Seth A. Robinson
    Robinson Technologies

The new skills do make it very easy. I never got past Dungeon 16 on Wizard level before, but first go got through to Dungeon 25 on Wizard. Still a very enjoyable game - thanks Seth! Only got 2 dragons though. New monsters are nice... but I think toughen them right up at the end would be good.
    You don't need a brain to talk