Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dictionary Additions Thread

Thumbs up

Ok, here is the official thead to add words that Dungeon Scroll currently doesn't (but should) support.

I'll start it off by adding brookstech's words:

Scholar
    Chorale

Please add more as you find 'em! I want Dungeon Scroll's dictionary to be the most complete in the world. It's currently at 70,000+ words, pretty high for only words between 3 and 8 letters.
    Seth A. Robinson
    Robinson Technologies

Caty
    He
    On
    Me
    Nat

Can you tell I'm simple minded?

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Caty
    He
    On
    Me
    Nat

Hmm, hold on now... The minimum word length is 3!

Nat .. hmm.. you mean gnat?  Or nat as an abbreviation for natural, national or perhaps the acronym for network address translation?  Abbreviations and acronyms are a little iffy and generally not supported, although I do throw in some very popular ones that are used almost like words these days.

Caty is not a word according to http://www.m-w.com/.  Perhaps you mean catty?
    Seth A. Robinson
    Robinson Technologies

You know what...I've been playng Dungeon for two days now...and I had no Idea that the minimum word was three letters!

I feel sheepish

As for caty, I was thinking along the lines of catydid, but your right, after some research Caty is nothing more than a proper name. Sorry about that.

Nat was for "network address translation." Working with computers all day messes with me. I have tried to use ROM many times too.

Sorry about the false alarm. The DS word list is very complete. I have, however, found some that I cannot recall at the moment...While in the heat of battle, things tend to get lost in shipping

Cool

Hi,
    if the minimum word length is 3, why is there "x", "y", "a", etc. in the master word list??    lol

here are some words that arent in the list:

aba
    abacinate
    abactor
    abaculus
    abaft
    abampere
    abapical
    abarticular
    abasia
    abask
    abatis
    abatjour
    abattoir
    abature
    abb
    abba
    abbatial
    abbozzo
    abditive
    abdominous
    abducent
    abeam
    abear
    abecedarian
    abecedism
    abele
    ... and a bunch more words Seth deleted, 250 KB of words made reading the forum a bit hard... next time just email me the file!

I've just increased your word list by %25 -- maybe I deserve a free DScroll license      

-elite_coder

EDIT:
    ***... first it says theres a 76kb limit, now it says there's an emoticon limit?? Ill have to be cheap, so ill just use ASCII:  >

umm... elite... I checked some of your words and 5 were not english words according to http://www.m-w.com/ and the other 5 I checked  ARE already in my list?!!

I checked my list and there are no word entries with words less than 3 characters long.  Maybe you're not looking at Dungeon Scroll's (v1.12) word list...?  

Also, don't forget, words with more than 8 letters can't be used.

I guess what I'm really looking for are words where you slap yourself and go "why the heck isn't that on the list?" rather than deeply scientific or specialized words that nobody would ever use.  (for instance, I do have a word list based on lawyer jargon (mostly latin) and I opted not to merge it - for one, I don't want the oracle tile always making unknown words, and for two I don't want people to just be able to make random words and get away with it too much. does that make sense?)
    Seth A. Robinson
    Robinson Technologies

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Seth @ July 14 2004,06:44)]umm... elite... I checked some of your words and 5 were not english words according to http://www.m-w.com/ and the other 5 I checked  ARE already in my list?!!

I checked my list and there are no word entries with words less than 3 characters long.  Maybe you're not looking at Dungeon Scroll's (v1.12) word list...?  

Also, don't forget, words with more than 8 letters can't be used.

I guess what I'm really looking for are words where you slap yourself and go "why the heck isn't that on the list?" rather than deeply scientific or specialized words that nobody would ever use.  (for instance, I do have a word list based on lawyer jargon (mostly latin) and I opted not to merge it - for one, I don't want the oracle tile always making unknown words, and for two I don't want people to just be able to make random words and get away with it too much.  does that make sense?)
    Well, they are weird words (i just found them   ), so im not suprised it isnt in m-w.com.

hmm some of the words were already in your list? Must be a bug in my 'find the words that weren't in your list' program :\  

...yes, i get it now  

Texan
    Pimp

Looks like boolean is missing...

Unhappy

As a random thought, how hard is it to just grab a Scrabble dictionary and go to town?

Thanks for the words guys.

My dictionary started with something like a scrabble dictionary (from a 250,000 word dictionary?), in fact, I've added many slang words that are probably not in a scrabble dictionary.
    Seth A. Robinson
    Robinson Technologies

Two words that are not accepted by the program:

Modem
    Piss

Thanks, will add on the next update.

I'm planning to add online scores soon.
    Seth A. Robinson
    Robinson Technologies

Default Missing word

Seth,

You inadvertently left out the word "hitman" from your list of accepted words in DScroll.

I know it's only relatively recent slang for "assassin" but dictionary.com recognizes it as a word.

-Robert Banks

Default More words

Seth,

I noticed a few more words left out of DScroll.

They are: 'pager', & 'pict' (as in one of an ancient tribe, the Picts).

Also, there's another word-- I'm trying to avoid vulgarity here. I'm not sure how complete you want your list to be.

It's a 4-letter euphemism for ******: c***.

Hope that helps.

-Robert Banks

Default More words

Seth,

I've noticed yet a few more words you're left out:

mosh-- as in "mosh pit"
    sinch-- as in "to close up around" or "sinch together"
    quoth-- "Quoth the raven..."
    glute-- a muscle, "gluteus maximus"

I hope that was helpful.

-Robert Banks

Default Another word

You're probably getting annoyed with all these posts by now...

You left a fairly glaring omission this time.

The game wouldn't accept the word "quits".

I'm hoping that this is unique to this word and not a problem with your script for verbs. Is "quit" listed as a verb in your program? If so, don't you have a generic script to accept nearly any verb+'s'?

-Robert Banks

Not at all, I appreciate the words! In fact, I've just updated the game with all of them here and added your name to the help file.

Also, if you want to see the word list directly, feel free to take a look at master_word_list.txt in the dungeon scroll /data directory, you can search for a word to see if it's there or not.

I was about to say no on the swear words because the "Oracle" might make the word by itself and I can only imagine the lovely email someones parents might send - but then I noticed I already had most of the other swear words in there so, well, what the hell.

I'll just add a thing so the oracle will ignore 'nasty' words... yet the player can still input them.
    Seth A. Robinson
    Robinson Technologies

Default More

Seth,

I've noticed a few more words that DScroll doesn't support.

As of now, you can't input the word: nametag (or nametags)
    Strangely enough, the reverse, 'gateman' is accepted by the game.

Also, it seems that certain words that you can input, nouns, aren't accepted when you add an 's' to make them plural, such as:

glute
    c*nt

In addition, the game seems rather finicky concerning which verbs it will accept with an '-er' suffix, or an 're-' prefix. It seems to be a crap shoot, when trying to elongate words in this way.

Hope that helps,
    -Robert Banks