Thread: Real fullscreen mode

Question Real fullscreen mode

Hi!

I'm wondering if its possible to use real fullscreen mode using clanlib. Using the CL_DisplayWindowDescription::set_fullscreen() it just maximizes the window. I would prefer to change display mode so i don't need those transformation matrixes. Do anybody know a way to accomplish this task?

ClanLib Developer

This feature is not supported. Display mode changes are difficult to implement nicely on most of the platforms we target.

On Windows, the ChangeDisplaySettingsEx function sends out events to other windows ruining their position, size and the icons on the desktop (thanks Microsoft). Only Direct3D is able to initiate a true fullscreen mode without the side effects.

For Linux the situation is even more messy. Tons of competing standards and the entire burden laid on the application (too bad for the user if it crashes).

Then there's the hardware itself. In the CRT days a mode change made sense. LCDs on the other hand can't really do a mode change, so such a thing just forces the monitor hardware to upscale instead. So we opted for the simplest solution which was to simply not support mode changes. It isn't always perfect but then neither was the other solutions.