Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Growtopia For Newbies

Default Growtopia For Newbies

This is a simple guide for new players to help them understand a few things to get started. I may add extra tips or something in the future.

Splicing

This is the "crafting" of Growtopia. To create new types of blocks, you must splice two types of seeds together to make a new tree. To do so, you simply plant one seed then use another seed on the growing sapling.

If the two seeds can be spliced together, the tree will change types and you will be informed of the success. Otherwise, you will be told the two types cannot be spliced and the secondary seed will be returned unused.

Items and seeds may be categorized into "tiers". The tier an item is in depends on the seeds required to create it. Bricks are a tier 3 item because they require Grass, a tier 2 item, in order to be created.

NOTE: For a beginner, getting ahold of the Basic Splicing Kit(200 Gems) from the store could prove useful but isn't necessary. The kit includes a total of 20 seeds: 10 Rock seeds and 10 random rarity 2 seeds. The Rock seeds in particular can prove incredibly useful to a new player, as obtaining the initial stock of these isn't always easy.

Even if you don't buy the kit, I highly recommend trying to farm rock seeds for a bit to improve your stock. They take awhile to break, and the stock may grow slowly, but it's worth it in the end.

Doors

How to use doors is a question asked quite often, so here's a simple how-to:

Doors have four properties:

Target World: This is the destination the door will take you to. Inserting a world name will send someone to the white door of the destination world. A colon followed by an ID will link to another door in the same world that possesses said ID. A world name followed by a colon and ID will link to a specific door in another world.

Display Label: This allows you to customize what is displayed to people that stand over the door. Make sure to use one when you have a destination ID you don't want made public.

ID: This is an identifier to be used by other doors.

"is open to public": This property only appears for doors in locked zones. If it is ticked, anyone can use the door. Otherwise, only users with access granted by the lock can.

Code:
     Example: a door in WORLD1 with a destination of WORLD2:A will link to a door with the ID "A" located in WORLD2.
    NOTE: Do not use IDs like 'A', 'B', '1', etc. These are extremely insecure and easy to guess and try. Use more descriptive or cryptic IDs that are difficult to guess.

Locks

Locks are, for the most part, self explanatory. They make it so only the user that placed them can manipulate space under their protection unless the owner specifies otherwise.

By default, normal locks protect an area expanding outward from their position. The area under protection can be altered using the "ignore empty air" option. When this is ticked and the re-apply lock button is used, the protected area will shift to affect connected blocks only. This feature can be used to create customized spaces by disconnecting the lock from all surrounding blocks then building a structure connected to it in the shape you desire.

The World Lock, of course, affects an entire world naturally. Other locks can be placed in a locked world to allow the user to grant access to specific areas to people.

Your First Secure World

Okay so now you know some basics. But how do you use them all to quickly get yourself a personal world safe from all of the hooligans that have been punching you around?! Simple!

First get your hands on 50 gems. You could buy some, complete a TapJoy offer or two, or go grab them by playing the game. You could go destroy a lot of dirt and cave backgrounds. Maybe plant some seeds, harvest low trees. Whatever you want. It doesn't take too long to get 50 gems.

Next, buy a small lock. Proceed then to splice a Dirt seed or two with Cave Background seeds to get some doors.

Then decide on a world name and go to it. If it's empty and suitable for you, set up something like the image below:

This design is fully protected by an ignore-air small lock. There are two doors that link to each other to get in and out. Make sure you tick off public access and add display labels to the doors! The outside door is far enough away from the building to ensure no one can try to examine it to get its ID. The game won't allow someone without lock access to place their own doors outside of the locked structure.

All of this together means that this design should provide you with a perfectly safe world so long as you don't give anyone shady access.

Once you have better locks and materials you can make things even nicer, but this should suffice for starting out. Oh, and you can fill the area beneath the structure back up with dirt or something. It just needs to be removed when you re-apply your lock to get the proper shape.

Harvesting Techniques

By harvesting I really mean the smashing of blocks in search of seeds. Here are a couple designs that can make this go smoother.

Platform

A 2 wide, 1 high platform is the perfect structure for placing and breaking a variety of blocks. Especially things like doors and signs. It's also very useful for blocks that deal damage like lava, death spikes or cacti.

Tunnel

The tunnel method can be done in a number of ways, but I prefer a 2 high tunnel with platforms. This is because you can use the tunnel for any number of blocks and just jump through the floor instead of having to run all the way to the other side of the tunnel or break a block to get in.

You simply run along on the bottom row, holding your finger above you as you run to place a long chain of blocks. Then jump up and break them all in a line. This is incredibly useful for solid blocks.

Other Tips

How can I keep myself from accidentally breaking everything I touch?
    You can toggle from the Fist to the Wrench by tapping the selected Fist in the hotbar. The Wrench is used to alter properties of things like signs and doors, so the tool won't cause damage. Although this won't disable the straight punch button, it can help prevent accidental breakage from normal tapping.

How do you get clothes?
    Clothes can be grown like other items, the initial selection begins fleshing out in tier 5. One can also buy assorted clothing packs from the shop for gems.

Are there chests?
    No, there are currently no chests in the game. However, items do not despawn. So if you have a secure location, you can drop items for storage purposes. Be aware, though, that it's always possible for something to go wrong.

Here's an exmaple of a storage room:

How do I make [insert item here]?!
    There are a number of places where you can find recipes. One such place is this wiki page.

You can also go to my own SEEDIARY world or the ITEMS world in-game for more visual representations.

How do I use a door as a block in my wall?
    That's actually a House Entrance block which can be made by combining a Dungeon Door seed and a Door seed. Portcullis, made from a Dungeon Door and Death Spikes provides the same function with a different aesthetic. These items, unlike actual doors, cannot link to other doors and worlds. They simply allow players to walk through them.

Like doors, they can be locked by un-ticking the public access option when in a locked zone.

How can I see if someone is online?
    Using the /msg function allows you to check the online status of a user as well as send them private messages. Simply using the command "/msg USERNAME" lets you see if they are online. Adding a space followed by a message after the name allows you to send them a PM.

Want more help and info?! Here are some guides on outside websites created by users:

Ultimate Growtopia Guide by INightmareI

Ultimate Grow Guide by NinjaDOOM

Growtopia Guide by Cade83

Growtopia Newbie FAQ by Devinidiot

Farming Guide by Devinidiot

Tip to earn gems by Karl0331
    Last edited by Seth; 06-18-2013 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Added some more links at the end

Good stuff Seil! You are the official growtopia guru!

EDIT: Also this should be stickied and added to, by the Guru.
    Join my world : REVOLVE. A hub world to many others.

Added a couple of extra tips to the end. And thanks for the sticky!

Hope this proves useful for people.

Lesser Knight

Good post however I don't have the "is open to public" option when I create a door just the first three fields.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjelke View Post
    Good post however I don't have the "is open to public" option when I create a door just the first three fields.
    Sorry, I should have clarified in the post that the option only appears for doors in locked zones(so, the one inside of the locked area in the secure world example would have it). I'll add that now.

Lesser Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Seil View Post
    Sorry, I should have clarified in the post that the option only appears for doors in locked zones(so, the one inside of the locked area in the secure world example would have it). I'll add that now.
    Ok got it. This game sure has a lot of depth for something that looks so simple on the surface.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjelke View Post
    Ok got it. This game sure has a lot of depth for something that looks so simple on the surface.
    It's part of the beauty of this genre, really. Players are given a lot of simple tools that can be used in any number of ways depending on the player's imagination. And you can use the unique, simple attributes of certain items to create elaborate things. Wooden Platforms, for example, allow the user to jump up through them, but there is no drop down button, so if used in a tight space they become one-way. This could result in a dead end within a maze or challenge where the player can't go back to try another path.

Great guide, wish I had it when I first started hah

FLAWLESS VICTORY!!

SEEDIARY > ITEMSOFGROWTOPIA

"Seediary" is your best bet.. "itemsofgrowtopia" is missing LOTS of blocks
    Last edited by martianrow; 01-16-2013 at 08:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by martianrow View Post
    FLAWLESS VICTORY!!

SEEDIARY > ITEMSOFGROWTOPIA

"Seediary" is your best bet.. "itemsofgrowtopia" is missing LOTS of blocks
    Thanks. Right now there are a number of things in ITEMSOFGROWTOPIA that are currently missing from SEEDIARY, though. I do have clothing, and a couple new items, and can personally guarantee all of the recipes in SEEDIARY are working, though. Once I've gotten everything in SEEDIARY I'll probably recommend it exclusively since I can guarantee its quality, but for now it's still incomplete. I'm hoping to get tier 8 added tonight sometime.

Also added a note in the guide under doors warning people not to use simple IDs like "A" since that's really quite insecure.
    Last edited by Seth; 02-22-2013 at 03:10 AM. Reason: Trying to fix sticky bug

If you get your hands on 200 gems be sure to get a "splicing kit" and get a good start on some things
    Dead in-game
    not forums. maybe
    Here it is

Quote Originally Posted by Derpyderp View Post
    If you get your hands on 200 gems be sure to get a "splicing kit" and get a good start on some things
    I'm not sure it's necessarily a "be sure to" kind of thing, but it can definitely prove useful - especially the rock seeds for a beginner. The initial stock of rock seeds can be a pain to get ahold of haha. I'll add a note in the splicing section.

Super Moderator

AWESOME!

Here is another tip...

To have a virtually infinite amount of rock (or any 1-3 rarity item) follow, the addition steps below;

1. Collect 5 seeds. (manually through digging is best)
    2. Use three of the 5 to splice.
    3. Use the left overs to plant plain rock trees.
    4. Now use the rocks you have collected to obtain seeds.
    5. Repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by tony26 View Post
    AWESOME!

Here is another tip...

To have a virtually infinite amount of rock (or any 1-3 rarity item) follow, the addition steps below;

1. Collect 5 seeds. (manually through digging is best)
    2. Use three of the 5 to splice.
    3. Use the left overs to plant plain rock trees.
    4. Now use the rocks you have collected to obtain seeds.
    5. Repeat.
    Self multiplication is reliable for most low level items, but not all. Signs, doors, flowers and mushrooms for example can produce unpredictable results. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't. It's generally faster to generate more of their ingredients and splice new trees instead - even if luck is on your side and you do get proper seed yields.

Generally things that cap at low numbers of items yielded(for example, bushes which yield 4 at maximum) are best farmed by splicing new trees.

This is pretty much 100% the best way to get more of the naturally generated block seeds and things like glass panes, grass, bricks, etc though.

Default Thread and Overall Game Review

This thread was very helpful. When I first downloaded the game I had no idea what "splicing" was, but then I wanted to look up something about Growtopia and saw this thread and now I love Growtopia much more than I did when I got the game.

Can't stop playing it. ♥

Quote Originally Posted by Roshiela View Post
    This thread was very helpful. When I first downloaded the game I had no idea what "splicing" was, but then I wanted to look up something about Growtopia and saw this thread and now I love Growtopia much more than I did when I got the game.

Can't stop playing it. ♥
    I'm glad it was helpful to you and that you're enjoying the game =)

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Seil View Post
    Self multiplication is reliable for most low level items, but not all. Signs, doors, flowers and mushrooms for example can produce unpredictable results. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't. It's generally faster to generate more of their ingredients and splice new trees instead - even if luck is on your side and you do get proper seed yields.

Generally things that cap at low numbers of items yielded(for example, bushes which yield 4 at maximum) are best farmed by splicing new trees.

This is pretty much 100% the best way to get more of the naturally generated block seeds and things like glass panes, grass, bricks, etc though.
    Yeah, I agree I regretted it as soon as T sent it...

Question Grow ID?????

If I make a grow ID will I lose all my data and stuff I have
    On my character that they gave me

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    If I make a grow ID will I lose all my data and stuff I have
    On my character that they gave me
    When you make a GrowID - the contents of your current character should remain the same. So there's really no reason not to do so. You get to guarantee your username and have more security.

Default to seil

DEAR SEIL
    I am a growtopia usr and i absoulitly love the game and i was wondering what is your email address so i can get a hold of you and also my name is shaneksmith on growtopia and everytime i trade with someone they scam me and i get very madd so would i get in trouble if i did it back can you get banned from scaming people when your tradeing with them
    BEASTLY keeps scaming me reply on my wall please and thank you for the wonderfull game
    TO:SEIL THE MAKER OF GROWTOPIA FROM :SHANE {GROWTOPIA USER} NAME IN GROWTOPIA:shaneksmith