Thread: Status Bar

What is the name of the status bar's script?

Knight

Well, there is no script for the status bar actually. You can modify the values displayed on the status bar by changing the global variables, like &strength, &defense, &magic, &life and &lifemax... but there isn't a script that defines where all the things are positioned on the status bar.
    - Simeon

See here for my profile.

Uh, Simeon..I wanted to see how they did it because I want to know how sprites can show values.

Knight

Question

Ehm, then I don't follow it anymore.. sprites showing values can just be done with say_stop("Strength: &strength", *current_sprite); (* = &) which would let the current sprite show something like Strength: 3 in case Dink's ATK is 3.

And in your original question, you ask for the script of the status bar.. but the status bar doesn't have a script.. Dink's values are stored in global variables like &strength, &defense and such. Then the engine translates those values into numbers or a health bar which are then displayed on the status bar - but there's not a way we can change how or where those values are being displayed.

- Simeon

See here for my profile.

I'm talking about sprite frames, Simeon! Frames, not text!
    ...sorry, I should've been more specific.
    So, anyway, the red numbers have 10 frames, showing 0, 1, 2, 3, and so on. Do you know how to do that, like more then 1 digits. I mean, I'd just have it get the frame set to a variable if it was 1 digit, but it isn't. It's going to be for a gun showing how much ammo you have.

Knight

So, depending on the value of the variable, you want to show a certain frame? You mean as the picture for the item in your inventory (so 3 ammo is pic3, 4 ammo is pic4 - which would then also be frame 4).. well, you add an item including the seq and frame that will display in your inventory.. you can't change that on the fly as far as I know but what you can do is this:

Let's say you have an item with 5 ammo and it displays frame 5 - because you added it with frame 5. Then, when you fire; you drop the item, you then give Dink the item/weapon again but then with frame 4, 4 ammo and you re-equip the weapon. This can then be done with a global variable to keep track of the ammo of the weapon.
    - Simeon

See here for my profile.

But I want you to have at least 100 bullets. I can do it so freakin` easily with 1 digit, I just can't do it with 2 or more.

Knight

Smile

Well, the code can repeat of course.. you don't have to do it like this:

if (&var == 1)
    {
    add_item("item-a", 123, 1);
    }
    if (&var == 2)
    {
    add_item("item-a", 123, 2);
    }

But when you do it like:

add_item("item-a", 123, &var);

it adds the right frame depending on the value of &var.
    - Simeon

See here for my profile.

I meant like above the status bar, but that way may work...it's just that there would be a lot of killing and making objects, and I want it to appear on the actual screen, not the menu. Are you sure there is no source that shows how the status bar is done?

Knight

Well, there is no actual useable source for the status bar - it's all handled by the Dink engine (even though the source is available for that, that won't be any helpful for creating a counter for the weapon ammo) - it's easier to make something with DinkC itself. The whole status bar isn't done in DinkC (which is what you got to work with) - so you'll have to make some sort of alternative in DinkC.
    - Simeon

See here for my profile.

I did do a status page thing for Pilgrim's Quest... but I haven't got around to releasing the Source yet...

I was in the process of making a HTML Help file version, but that's on my Desktop at home, and I'm currently interstate until December... so... I'm rambling and not much help, but if you want I can send you the script that brought up the status page... just email me simonk@australiamail.com
    You don't need a brain to talk

Guys I hate to but in but I have a question that relates to the Status Bar can you guys look at my post here?
    http://www.rtsoft.com/htbin....3;t=862