Thread: 2D Engines

Hiya folks.  I was wondering if anyone else had any experience with any of the 2d engines available out there.  I don't need a lot of features; mostly just rotation, scaling, and maybe alpha-channel support.  I prefer using DirectX7 types of interfaces, so that I can directly blit right onto a surface and such, though that of course doesn't do the features I want on its own.  Using DirectX8 can, but it's just not the same when you have to turn everything into 2d planes; it's overly complicated for the kinds of things I'd like to do, and can never do things exactly as I'd like.

I've heard of http://www.clanlib.org/ , which seems to be pretty good, but I was wondering if there might be any others worth looking into.  I've looked around myself but I end up finding lots of junk, or ones which are mostly 3d with some 2d elements thrown in.

Anyhoo, thanks in advance!

-FyberOptic

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (FyberOptic @ Dec. 12 2004,16:07)]Hiya folks.  I was wondering if anyone else had any experience with any of the 2d engines available out there.  I don't need a lot of features; mostly just rotation, scaling, and maybe alpha-channel support.  I prefer using DirectX7 types of interfaces, so that I can directly blit right onto a surface and such, though that of course doesn't do the features I want on its own.  Using DirectX8 can, but it's just not the same when you have to turn everything into 2d planes; it's overly complicated for the kinds of things I'd like to do, and can never do things exactly as I'd like.

I've heard of http://www.clanlib.org/ , which seems to be pretty good, but I was wondering if there might be any others worth looking into.  I've looked around myself but I end up finding lots of junk, or ones which are mostly 3d with some 2d elements thrown in.

Anyhoo, thanks in advance!

-FyberOptic
    gfhg