Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to have a GIF as your avatar, guide! { Animated avatar }

Master Sorcerer

Default How to have a GIF as your avatar, guide! { Animated avatar }

Introduction to the Guide!

Now this guide has many limitations, so I'll state now and now only, the GIF must be sized 80 X 80 or smaller! It's very limited and is frustrating when it won't work. So the guide starts now:

Guide to having this upgraded avatar!

So you want a gif as your avatar? Well here's how! First search up your gif, I used google for example, and right click or hold on the gif if you use mobile and open it. One in new tab or same tab, do whatever. Make sure the GIF is actually playing so it works and copy the URL link.

A URL is a website address, like rtsoft.com.
    Now your URL is copied, go to your RTSOFT profile settings and click edit avatar, enter the URL into the website option and test it, is it to big? Then try another! I'm not a good photoshopper but if you want to make a custom one, resize it to 80x80! Now all you have to do is post, and test it out! Yay!

Requirements - IMPORTANT!

Your GIF must be 80X80 or 19.5KB. There is a guide on resizing GIFs if you scroll down.

-------------------

How did I figure this out?

I was scrolling in the forums and I noticed, INightmareI's avatar was glowing... I thought I was crazy, but later I was introduced to Dragon Cave and their forums uses vBulletin too! I saw a guy with, ( here you go CoryT ) an avatar of Link saying " I'm Fabulous! " so I decided to do some experimenting! :D

--------------------

Why post this? Keep it a secret and be a greedy person!

Yeaaah, no. Thank Applez for requesting me to tell him via pm, but why not tell everyone?

Oh yeah, and please rate this thread 5* if you don't mind, it helps. :)
    Thank you!

--------------------

FAQ

I cant find an 80x80 gif!

Use google then in images click size in the filters section and choose small. The sizes will be visible.

Help me resize, too complicated!

Reply here, I will resize it for you. I have a method to resize it and host it on imgur.com

Why use URLs? I tested you can use it directly from your pictures folder!

Remember, people use iOS which doesn't support gifs, I don't know about android but the other reason is so you can resize the gif if necessary, like letting me resize it.

My GIF wont move!

The problem here is that your GIF is either over 80X80 or 19.5KB. Resize it with ezgif.com.

How do I get a link?!

Host it on imgur.com and use the original GIF link only. It shows on the right of what each link is.

Please resize my GIF!

I have a life, but I might resize your gif, but here is a guide:

Go to ezgif.com

First save your gif to your device OR copy the link if you use iOS.

GIF crop is a tool to literally crop out stuff from the GIF, like removing watermarks. Remove any unwanted things. iOS 8.0.2 is required to upload images and other things to safari.

GIF resize is your second stop, resize it to 80X80. Scroll down and you should see the file size, if it is over 19.5K or KB follow on the next tool.

This is the hardest part, GIF optimizer, here are your options which you can stack on each other by just clicking GIF optimizer at the bottom again:
    Color Reduction

This tool is designed to shrink gif file size by reducing number of colors in each frame.
    Each gif frame can use up to unique 256 colors, and by reducing this number, you can achieve smaller file size.
    It makes multiple variations of input image, and you can choose the one that has best size/quality ratio for your needs.

Lossy GIF

Compresses GIF with Lossy GIF encoder which implements lossy LZW compression.
    It can reduce animated GIF file size by 30%—50% at a cost of some dithering/noise.

Remove every - frame

Frame drop option can remove every second, third or fourth frame to reduce framerate and therefore - file size. Useful for gifs with high framerate.

I do not advise the last option.

OPTIONAL GIF TOOLS

GIF effects can help you do some cool things to your GIF, like reversing it or rotating it. It can also change the speed or add text to it.

Video to GIF: Download any video, like recording your favourite game or off YouTube and then convert it into GIF, though the YouTube option will make an excessively large GIF unless you crop the video or go into very complicated options.

Images to GIF: Go to makeagif.com and upload the images and change their order to your preference, then create the GIF and save it to your device, iOS devices can use apps from the appstore for this.

----------------------

User-made guides!

Making your own GIF by HunterHell!

Quote Originally Posted by HunterHell
    You can also make your own GIF! (this thread made me think of the idea, thanks! )

First, download Paint.net. Just Google it and find a download page.
    Install it, of course...
    And run it.

There are many options to use to make images with, so it might be a bit confusing at the start.
    On the top, find the "Image" menu thing, open it, and press "Resize".
    80x80 is the limit here on the forums, so make it 80x80 or smaller.
    NOTE: The bigger the image, the more space it takes. 19.5KB is the space limit, so if you make it big, you'll have to optimize it (lower amount of colors, skip frames etc).
    I used 15x15 on my avatar (look left), and I suggest you do 15x15 too, it's the best.

Now, you will see all pixels.
    Your tools and color pickers are on the left. Pick a pen from the tools and choose any color and start coloring the pixels to whatever you want.

Eh, now the frames!
    Frames are images that go after each other in the GIF.
    Like if you took 15 very similar photos with your camera and then quickly cycled through it, it would seem as if they were moving pictures.
    Every "moving picture", GIFs, movies, videos, works like that.
    Now create your frames. You want the transition between frames as smooth as possible, so make changes between each frame very small.
    Save all frames in the same folder, and name them 1, 2, 3 etc.
    Make max 50 frames, but try to keep the number low. I have 30 frames on my avatar.
    Make sure the format is PNG or JPEG!

Now go to http://ezgif.com/maker(thanks MrSword for the link ).
    Upload all images there.
    NOTE: It can be very weird, make sure you click all images in the correct order. Sometimes, even when I did click them in correct order, when I uploaded it, it got mixed up. When it does get mixed up, you have to re-arrange them correctly, which is SUPER HARD. The images are super small and the changes in each image are super small.
    So the easier way to upload them in correct order is to press "Upload", find the folder, and write: "1" "2" "3" "4" etc. (1, 2, 3, 4 are all names of the images).
    Then click the animate button.

Now when you created the GIF, you can do changes to it there. I recommend that you resize it. 15x15 is super small for forums, so resize it to 80x80 max. This'll take some more space, so now optimize it (lower number of colors to 32 or 16, it's enough for low-quality paint.net-made GIFs). Optimize it until the space it takes is 19.5KB or less.
    And finally, save it!

Resizing GIFs on ezgif.com by MrSword48!

Quote Originally Posted by MrSword48
    I'll give a link for people who has GIFS too big or small; edit GIFS; want to use GIFs made from their computer; want to make a GIF using frames.

http://ezgif.com/

I think you can learn using it by yourself.
    ------------------

- DarkHeat
    Last edited by Dark_Heat; 10-13-2014 at 05:11 AM.

Forum Mafia game!

Can you find me a Funny gif I can put?
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth View Post
    Hey iToaster Mind if You Can Toast My Buns?

When I beat someone in LoL

Changed My Name From busa3o0d To iToaster

Arigato Gozaimasu~

You still can't handle this weed.
    I'm back ready to annihilate the forum posts.

◀◀◀ Vanic x K.Flay - Make Me Fade ▶▶▶

I'll give a link for people who has GIFS too big or small; edit GIFS; want to use GIFs made from their computer; want to make a GIF using frames.

http://ezgif.com/

I think you can learn using it by yourself.
    who are you people.

Master Sorcerer

You can also make your own GIF! (this thread made me think of the idea, thanks! )

First, download Paint.net. Just Google it and find a download page.
    Install it, of course...
    And run it.

There are many options to use to make images with, so it might be a bit confusing at the start.
    On the top, find the "Image" menu thing, open it, and press "Resize".
    80x80 is the limit here on the forums, so make it 80x80 or smaller.
    NOTE: The bigger the image, the more space it takes. 19.5KB is the space limit, so if you make it big, you'll have to optimize it (lower amount of colors, skip frames etc).
    I used 15x15 on my avatar (look left), and I suggest you do 15x15 too, it's the best.

Now, you will see all pixels.
    Your tools and color pickers are on the left. Pick a pen from the tools and choose any color and start coloring the pixels to whatever you want.

Eh, now the frames!
    Frames are images that go after each other in the GIF.
    Like if you took 15 very similar photos with your camera and then quickly cycled through it, it would seem as if they were moving pictures.
    Every "moving picture", GIFs, movies, videos, works like that.
    Now create your frames. You want the transition between frames as smooth as possible, so make changes between each frame very small.
    Save all frames in the same folder, and name them 1, 2, 3 etc.
    Make max 50 frames, but try to keep the number low. I have 30 frames on my avatar.
    Make sure the format is PNG or JPEG!

Now go to http://ezgif.com/maker(thanks MrSword for the link ).
    Upload all images there.
    NOTE: It can be very weird, make sure you click all images in the correct order. Sometimes, even when I did click them in correct order, when I uploaded it, it got mixed up. When it does get mixed up, you have to re-arrange them correctly, which is SUPER HARD. The images are super small and the changes in each image are super small.
    So the easier way to upload them in correct order is to press "Upload", find the folder, and write: "1" "2" "3" "4" etc. (1, 2, 3, 4 are all names of the images).
    Then click the animate button.

Now when you created the GIF, you can do changes to it there. I recommend that you resize it. 15x15 is super small for forums, so resize it to 80x80 max. This'll take some more space, so now optimize it (lower number of colors to 32 or 16, it's enough for low-quality paint.net-made GIFs). Optimize it until the space it takes is 19.5KB or less.
    And finally, save it!

BUT, now you have to make it your avatar. That's simple, find the avatar editing page on the forums and upload it.

Might seem a bit complicated and hard, but... it's worth it!

Master Sorcerer

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Heat View Post
    Now this guide has many limitations, so I'll state now and now only, the GIF must be sized 80 X 80 or smaller! It's very limited and is frustrating when it won't work. So the guide starts now:

So you want a gif as your avatar? Well here's how! First search up your gif, I used google for example, and right click or hold on the gif if you use mobile and open it. One in new tab or same tab, do whatever. Make sure the GIF is actually playing so it works and copy the URL link.

A URL is a website address, like rtsoft.com.
    Now your URL is copied, go to your RTSOFT profile settings and click edit avatar, enter the URL into the website option and test it, is it to big? Then try another! I'm not a good photoshopper but if you want to make a custom one, resize it to 80x80! Now all you have to do is post, and test it out! Yay!

-------------------

How did I figure this out?

I was scrolling in the forums and I noticed, INightmareI's avatar was glowing... I thought I was crazy, but later I was introduced to Dragon Cave and their forums uses vBulletin too! I saw a guy with, ( here you go CoryT ) an avatar of Link saying " I'm Fabulous! " so I decided to do some experimenting!

--------------------

I made this thread because someone called Applez, thank him,I think requested me to reply in PM but why not tell public. And by the way, as payment if you want, be nice and click one of my dragon eggs. They're going to hatch soon! Yay!

--------------------

- DarkHeat
    As you guys can see it worked for me, and my siggy lol
    discord: Applez#0567

Can someone post a link of where to find good ones.
    ty aqua bb

In game name: KingyKing
    ITS HALLOWEEEEEEN

RIP Great Friends
    -Zeus(my daddyo)
    -Thermo(the kewl guy not entirely dead)
    -AramSevag(the savage not dead...yet)
    -iSparkels(the sparkliest of em all)
    -Shethrion(my waifu)
    -Blyoshi(the joy bringer)
    -Spotlight(the red nurse)

Master Sorcerer

Quote Originally Posted by King902 View Post
    Can someone post a link of where to find good ones.
    Google. Just Google it...

Master Sorcerer

Google it, you can change the filter options to small size, etc if you want or use one of the size altering websites above. If you alter the filter options it shows the size, it also shows when you click a picture in google images.

Forum Mafia game!

Master Sorcerer

Google it, you can change the filter options to small size, etc if you want or use one of the size altering websites above. If you alter the filter options it shows the size, it also shows when you click a picture in google images.
    Added to the post.

Forum Mafia game!

In the middle of a gunfight, in the centre of a restaurant.

When ever I put my resized gif as my avatar,it keeps saying invalid file ._.
    We all get through somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs.TommoSwag View Post
    When ever I put my resized gif as my avatar,it keeps saying invalid file ._.
    Maybe you just did "Copy Picture URL" on right-click. Tell me which GIF you want and I'll try to give the 80x80 file.
    who are you people.

In the middle of a gunfight, in the centre of a restaurant.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSword48 View Post
    Maybe you just did "Copy Picture URL" on right-click. Tell me which GIF you want and I'll try to give the 80x80 file.
    Here's the gif:
    I'm on iPad btw XD
    We all get through somehow.

Master Sorcerer

Here's the gif:
    I'm on iPad btw XD
    Woah! It 350x300 size!
    Ill attempt to resize it.
    Ill get snapshots for the guide.

Forum Mafia game!

Fuu. I cant get my gif to work.

Someone resize it fo me plz.

Master Sorcerer

Quote Originally Posted by Maryjane View Post

Guess im taking up the status of Royal Resizer now.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's the gif:
    I'm on iPad btw XD
    http://i.imgur.com/vafo8iJ.gif

Use this URL in your avatar URL option. Its rezised.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Maryjane View Post

http://i.imgur.com/iCexUy3.gif

Use this url,its resized to 80x80 via ezgif.com then hosted onto imgur via my account.

Forum Mafia game!

Here's the gif:
    I'm on iPad btw XD
    Going to remove that watermark. Too tempting.
    who are you people.

Guess im taking up the status of Royal Resizer now.

- - - Updated - - -

http://i.imgur.com/vafo8iJ.gif

Use this URL in your avatar URL option. Its rezised.

- - - Updated - - -

http://i.imgur.com/iCexUy3.gif

Use this url,its resized to 80x80 via ezgif.com then hosted onto imgur via my account.
    It says Remote file is too large ._.

Banned
    World of Tanks Fan rolling around with a FV215b!

Testing if mine works

Quote Originally Posted by The 978 View Post
    Testing if mine works
    It no work D: