Page 1 of 53 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: How To Talk To Moderators

Administrator

Thumbs up How To Talk To Moderators

My job moderating has gotten worse than difficult... it's basically impossible at this point. So I want to lay down some info so you guys can get the actual help you need instead of the personal hellos you want (if you don't know what "PM" is, it means Private Message, it's when you use /msg in the game):

1. If something bad is going on, you can definitely PM a mod about it. The sooner the better, so they can actually show up and see it happening instead of being too late and not being able to do anything. We are here to solve problems, so if you have one, we need to know. And we may not be able to respond, because a lot of people have problems, and some of them take a while to fix (or explain why we can't...). But we can't help at all if we don't know!

2. If something bad is NOT going on, DO NOT PM A MODERATOR!! It's nice that you want to say "hi" to us, or have us come visit your world, but when we are online, we are very busy trying to help people. I get one PM about every 5 seconds on average (not exaggerating, though if I only get important PMs, it'd be a lot less!) so I can't come visit you or chat, I need to help people if they need help. Never ever PM a moderator asking them to come look at your world, or just chat. It just makes the job SO much harder, and it puts the moderator in a bad position - either they spend time chatting with you and not helping people, or you think they're a jerk for not talking. No-win situation!

3. If you want to chat with a moderator and just have friendly fun times, you'll have to wait until you see them in person. Even then, there's a good chance they'll be really busy, but I know I personally hold "HAMUMU DANCE TIME" sometimes, where I just sit and dance and ignore all the PMs so I can answer questions and just have fun with people. If you see me in person, chat away. I may be too busy, but you're never bothering me by chatting publicly, even if I can't respond.

4.If you want your PM to get a response, THIS IS REALLY IMPORTANT - you must say what you are talking about!!!! At least half of the PMs I receive say either "Come here I need to talk to you" or "Can I ask you something, it's important". If it's important, then ASK ME! I absolutely never respond to PMs like this that aren't asking anything at all. Your odds of getting a response go from 0% to something higher if you actually put your question in the message. I don't have the time to go back and forth with you 3 times before we even get to a question (especially since the odds are you just want me to come visit your world, not solve a serious problem). The more information you can squeeze in the better, too - who's being bad, what did they do, where did it happen (you probably don't need to say that part, if it's the place you're sending from).

5. If a moderator ignores you, they're not "ignoring you". They just can't respond because of all the stuff they have to deal with. Keep that number in mind: a PM every 5 seconds. If yours isn't important, I can't reply. So don't get mad at us, don't think we hate you, and all that. It's not personal! I'd much rather just have happy fun-time chats, but alas, if I am in the game, my time is very limited (you know I have to make this game too, right?), and about 1500 people are on there wanting something fixed, so that's just what I have to be doing.

If enough people can actually follow these rules, a lot more people would actually end up getting helped with their problems! So please, help out the mods by letting the mods help out!

(P.S. I know few people will read this, and most of the noise and distraction will continue, but hey, spread the word!)

Smile Don't worry about a thingggggg

Now I know that the mods jobs seem to be harder then I thought they were before. So I'll give them some space and I myself will help out with people if they need help since other mods could be too busy. Your awesome Hamumu and I'll do anything to help out

I Understand Mods,Most Of Em' Don't Talk. The Longest Chat I Had With A Mod Was With @LOKSTER.

�CoolDrew

Part Of The Growtopia Wiki Team!

Click This! --> INightmareI's Guide!

Platinum III in League of Legends

Currently Being Kizaru.

Master Sorcerer

Longest chat I had would probably be with @meow or @seth but yea I agree the messages need to be kept to the important ones

Banned

I ran Minecraft servers and moderated an old online mmo before (not quite was popular as 1500 people online at once) and I know how it feels to be overwhelmed with messages.

Thanks for making this mumu!
    You raise some brilliant points.

I often get a message saying something like "COME HERE, URGENT"
    So ill go, then they'll be like "can I have a free nyan hat?"
    I get many of those messages a day, so sometimes I simply won't respond when they send a message like that, but then I worry what if they are being scammed, so then I show up and again it's.."TRADE???"

It makes me sad because in that time about 20 messages to by often unread, to which is almost impossible to read. (It's so hard to read above messages.. It auto scrolls back down as soon as someone broadcasts or chats..)

I've been to hamumu dance parties before and I have to say they are very insightful! I'm not sure how you even answer all the questions but you do a great job at it!
    The story about your nickname is heart warming.

Another important misconception to address is the myth that mods get unlimited items, no way! That would take away the fun! (And value) we have to make items by splicing like everyone else! So please don't ask for 200 ice or 200 world locks, etc! We have to work just as hard as you do.

I can't even begin to imagine the spam the developers must get. It's really nice of hamumu to do question and answer sessions in Hamumutown, I don't think I've ever seen that in a game.
    It's cool having down to earth devs for once.

Nice job hamumu :3 hopefully that will help you with the huge
    Amoun of spam and @meow good point ^_^

Lesser Wizard

Everyone, please read and understand what Hamumu just posted. I was about to create a similar thread until I read this one.

Thanks.

Lesser Knight

Default sorry hamumu

Sorry hamumu..
    i dont know u are really busy..
    sorry for messaging to u..sorry
    i apologize agin..
    /cry

Default Most people think mods don't do "poop".

They all think "ERMAHGURD THEY NEVERRH RESPUAAAANDDD!!!" Even though, you mods are helping as much as you can. Thank you.

People forget mods have lives, too. -.-
    I no longer play this game.

Even though I don't feel what your going through,I understand that it is very challenging to be a mod and have to respond to so many problems.I can't imagine how many private messages you get each minute.Probably 20 or more!
    You can't resist the fudge....

Default Ouod

I definetly regret writing quite a few msgs right now. LOL

Default yeah i know

Well, one of my friends kids were playing and jusy a ton of people.started coming. Noone broarcasted. And this one person was talking very inapropriatly about sex. Saying like hell.... Ye u onow what i mran. Well, ber kid as about7 or 8 and she had to listen to it all. I finally told her to get uer mom on the game. This was befor world hanning so we cpuldnt do anything about it. We had sent out a ton of broadcadt and stuff. No mods came.
    But we understoood that they were. Usy and they were helping other pwople who needed even more help then us. So that you have to understand. We just left the worlf and they just stoof there for like 1 hour. It was quite sad really. Thanis for trying seth.

Default Oups

I definetly regret writing quite a few msgs right now. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by LordTaco View Post
    I Understand Mods,Most Of Em' Don't Talk. The Longest Chat I Had With A Mod Was With @LOKSTER.

My biggest chat with a moderator was @Play
    Yeah, one of the "oldies".

Also became a lurker of the forums.

Default Umm

Quote Originally Posted by Marosa Minnie View Post
    Thanks for making this mumu!
    You raise some brilliant points.

I often get a message saying something like "COME HERE, URGENT"
    So ill go, then they'll be like "can I have a free nyan hat?"
    I get many of those messages a day, so sometimes I simply won't respond when they send a message like that, but then I worry what if they are being scammed, so then I show up and again it's.."TRADE???"

It makes me sad because in that time about 20 messages to by often unread, to which is almost impossible to read. (It's so hard to read above messages.. It auto scrolls back down as soon as someone broadcasts or chats..)

I've been to hamumu dance parties before and I have to say they are very insightful! I'm not sure how you even answer all the questions but you do a great job at it!
    The story about your nickname is heart warming.

Another important misconception to address is the myth that mods get unlimited items, no way! That would take away the fun! (And value) we have to make items by splicing like everyone else! So please don't ask for 200 ice or 200 world locks, etc! We have to work just as hard as you do.

I can't even begin to imagine the spam the developers must get. It's really nice of hamumu to do question and answer sessions in Hamumutown, I don't think I've ever seen that in a game.
    It's cool having down to earth devs for once.
    I have always wanted to be a mod (i bet everybody does) but this sounds CRAZY! I still wanna be a mod but it makes it sound less fun. Lol

Default @Mumu

Gosh, Mumu! How amazing this point is! They are constantly working hard and not ignoring anyone! They get spammed constantly, being asked for items when they really shouldn't be. (Not from a growtopia experience) But I have been a moderator-admin on all sorts of other games, especially popular minecraft servers, and it's hard to help so many people at once. Your point is simply made by requesting to only be /msg'ed when someone truly needs help.

We love you Mr. "Mumu" (:

Thanks for telling everyone that, Hamumu. The job of being a moderator seems pretty overwhelming, and it's probably worse for you since you are a dev. Maybe you should link this thread to the actual game, so people know the time to /msg a mod/dev and when not to.
    Last edited by Rush; 03-18-2013 at 01:42 PM.

Red face HEROMAN

Quote Originally Posted by Hamumu View Post
    My job moderating has gotten worse than difficult... it's basically impossible at this point. So I want to lay down some info so you guys can get the actual help you need instead of the personal hellos you want (if you don't know what "PM" is, it means Private Message, it's when you use /msg in the game):

1. If something bad is going on, you can definitely PM a mod about it. The sooner the better, so they can actually show up and see it happening instead of being too late and not being able to do anything. We are here to solve problems, so if you have one, we need to know. And we may not be able to respond, because a lot of people have problems, and some of them take a while to fix (or explain why we can't...). But we can't help at all if we don't know!

2. If something bad is NOT going on, DO NOT PM A MODERATOR!! It's nice that you want to say "hi" to us, or have us come visit your world, but when we are online, we are very busy trying to help people. I get one PM about every 5 seconds on average (not exaggerating, though if I only get important PMs, it'd be a lot less!) so I can't come visit you or chat, I need to help people if they need help. Never ever PM a moderator asking them to come look at your world, or just chat. It just makes the job SO much harder, and it puts the moderator in a bad position - either they spend time chatting with you and not helping people, or you think they're a jerk for not talking. No-win situation!

3. If you want to chat with a moderator and just have friendly fun times, you'll have to wait until you see them in person. Even then, there's a good chance they'll be really busy, but I know I personally hold "HAMUMU DANCE TIME" sometimes, where I just sit and dance and ignore all the PMs so I can answer questions and just have fun with people. If you see me in person, chat away. I may be too busy, but you're never bothering me by chatting publicly, even if I can't respond.

4.If you want your PM to get a response, THIS IS REALLY IMPORTANT - you must say what you are talking about!!!! At least half of the PMs I receive say either "Come here I need to talk to you" or "Can I ask you something, it's important". If it's important, then ASK ME! I absolutely never respond to PMs like this that aren't asking anything at all. Your odds of getting a response go from 0% to something higher if you actually put your question in the message. I don't have the time to go back and forth with you 3 times before we even get to a question (especially since the odds are you just want me to come visit your world, not solve a serious problem). The more information you can squeeze in the better, too - who's being bad, what did they do, where did it happen (you probably don't need to say that part, if it's the place you're sending from).

5. If a moderator ignores you, they're not "ignoring you". They just can't respond because of all the stuff they have to deal with. Keep that number in mind: a PM every 5 seconds. If yours isn't important, I can't reply. So don't get mad at us, don't think we hate you, and all that. It's not personal! I'd much rather just have happy fun-time chats, but alas, if I am in the game, my time is very limited (you know I have to make this game too, right?), and about 1500 people are on there wanting something fixed, so that's just what I have to be doing.

If enough people can actually follow these rules, a lot more people would actually end up getting helped with their problems! So please, help out the mods by letting the mods help out!

(P.S. I know few people will read this, and most of the noise and distraction will continue, but hey, spread the word!)
    So i really want a wand any chance u can pop into growtopiagym and give me one plz