PDA

View Full Version : The ship paradox

Pyroworld
08-16-2014, 04:46 AM
There was once a ship made of 1000 planks. Every year one plank would be removed. 999 years has passed and 1 plank remains. A builder rebuilds the ship with 999 more planks. He uses the old planks to make a new ship. He added 1 new plank the the new ship. Which ship would be the original one?

..RooneyZY..
08-16-2014, 04:51 AM
URGHHHH...Knowledge...

kwj340
08-16-2014, 04:54 AM
URGHHHH...Knowledge...

Ikr... Its Almost 10 Pm For Me And Its Friday, I Dont Wanna Think At All... Except For School (Duh)

Pyroworld
08-16-2014, 05:11 AM
I haven't even figured this out...

kwj340
08-16-2014, 05:14 AM

Lol? (10 Chars)

Duannie
08-16-2014, 05:52 AM
Wouldn't it be the very first ship built 999 years ago? It's the first model and created as it was designed thus making it the original copy. The current ship has planks 999 years old which in all probability has degraded to hell and back and a totally new plank making it a modified version of the original.

...am I missing something?

optimuswhat
08-16-2014, 07:02 AM
The ship with 1 old plank.
That's the original.

Pyroworld
08-16-2014, 08:09 PM
The ship with 1 old plank.
That's the original.

Poop :sweatdrop:

Brennanber
08-16-2014, 08:20 PM

The point of a paradox is they aren't able to be solved.
Here are short examples from portal 2
-"this statement is false" if it were false that means its true, but then if it was actually true isnt it false? And it goes in an unbreakable loop.
-"new mission: refuse this mission" if you refuse you completed it, but if you completed it didnt you fail by completing it and not refusing it?
-"does a set of all sets contain itself?" This one is harder to explain but think about it.

darksnake99
08-16-2014, 08:44 PM
-"this statement is false" if it were false that means its true, but then if it was actually true isnt it false? And it goes in an unbreakable loop.
-"new mission: refuse this mission" if you refuse you completed it, but if you completed it didnt you fail by completing it and not refusing it?
-"does a set of all sets contain itself?" This one is harder to explain but think about it.

http://reclaimer105.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/know_your_paradoxes.png

Pyroworld
08-16-2014, 09:05 PM

Umm brenn. Remember I did the true or false question? Yeah you said its 'invalid'. Now you reuse it saying its valid. Like was that just to stop me from doing this?