PDA

View Full Version : WARNING for Steam Users!

optimuswhat
11-15-2014, 01:27 AM
If one of your friends sends you a message say "You will exchange this thing? (then here's a link)", do NOT click the link! It's some sort of messager worm that makes you message the very same message to all your friends.
Your friend DID NOT send you the message purposely, so please don't ignore, or unadd them! They didn't mean to do it!

By the way, you probably don't want a messager worm. I suggest running a scan on your computer if you clicked it.

optimuswhat
11-15-2014, 01:56 AM
thanks for the tip, but what does this worm do?

Well, I'm not in the mood to find out what exactly happens, but from what I've heard, clicking the link will send out a message to all your friends. Basically, it's like this:

Friend 1: You will exchange this thing? (Link here)
Friend 2: *Clicks link*
(Somehow, Friend 2 sends the exact same message Friend 1 sent to all his friends, even though he didn't do it)
Friend 2 then tries saying that he didn't send the message to all of his friends.

It's literally a worm that makes people hate you.

Dark_Heat
11-15-2014, 02:14 AM
If one of your friends sends you a message say "You will exchange this thing? (then here's a link)", do NOT click the link! It's some sort of messager worm that makes you message the very same message to all your friends.
Your friend DID NOT send you the message purposely, so please don't ignore, or unadd them! They didn't mean to do it!

By the way, you probably don't want a messager worm. I suggest running a scan on your computer if you clicked it.

Thanks for warni- wait... I have no friends on Steam.

#ForeverAlone
#Solo
#SolonotSolorein
#Hashtag
#nofriends

Anulot
11-15-2014, 04:55 AM
Yeah. My bud just sent me it. Just the "You will trade this" message raised suspicions on me, because he dosen't talk like that. I sent him a message back and he said "DONT CLICK IT".

Drave
11-15-2014, 05:41 AM
Thanks for the warning lol. GABEN must fix it soon

syrup
11-15-2014, 06:02 AM
I never saw this before.

;-;

Pizzaman
11-15-2014, 07:53 AM
What I would like to know is where does the link ACTUALLY lead to?
I want to try it on my Android.

It could also be an exploit in Steam's messenging service.

_Lennart_
11-15-2014, 08:37 AM
Omgomgomgommgomg

Thank god equine hasent sent one yet

InstaRabbit
11-15-2014, 09:26 AM
I clicked one before...

Hope it didn't send anything out.

l0l
11-15-2014, 09:29 AM
That's why they invented Macs

InstaRabbit
11-15-2014, 09:30 AM
That's why they invented Macs

What does having a mac help?

l0l
11-15-2014, 09:31 AM
What does having a mac help?

Its hard to get any kind of virus on a mac.

InstaRabbit
11-15-2014, 09:32 AM
Its hard to get any kind of virus on a mac.

Whew I was using a Mac when I clicked it

l0l
11-15-2014, 09:38 AM
Could you provide the link please? Im curious what it really is :P

Equine
11-16-2014, 08:53 AM
It's phishing, not 'messager worms'.

P.S. I got a virus on my computer earlier that bypassed Norton earlier, had to spend an hour cleaning my computer and redoing everything while my friends on TeamSpeak were laughing their heads off.

_Lennart_
11-16-2014, 08:55 AM

P.S. I got a virus on my computer earlier that bypassed Norton earlier, had to spend an hour cleaning my computer and redoing everything while my friends on TeamSpeak were laughing their heads off.

plz dun tell me it was the guy i headshotted in tf2

lol u said "you got headshotted by lennart"

there is one thing that bugs me

EVERYONE PRONOUNCES MAI NAME WRUNG ;-;

equine was the closest to how to really pronounce it

l0l
11-16-2014, 08:55 AM

There are different sites, I've seen like 3 phising sites already. That means that this could indeed be a messenger worm.

Equine
11-16-2014, 09:01 AM
There are different sites, I've seen like 3 phising sites already. That means that this could indeed be a messenger worm.

Nope, it's phishing. There's tons of them, I think I heard about this one on Steam already. It takes your inventory's stuff (And account)

l0l
11-16-2014, 09:04 AM
Nope, it's phishing. There's tons of them, I think I heard about this one on Steam already. It takes your inventory's stuff (And account)

Phising is a fake steam site that makes you log in again, to take your username&password.

Equine
11-16-2014, 09:16 AM
Phising is a fake steam site that makes you log in again, to take your username&password.

I didn't read his later post- I haven't heard of a messenger worm though.

ParkourDevil
11-16-2014, 05:04 PM
Whew I was using a Mac when I clicked it

If you clicked it, run scan. Even if you're on Mac it doesn't mean you're safe from all kinds of viruses. I had 2 trojans on my previous Mac before. Linux is the same thing. But Linux can't have trojans, however other viruses it can have.

l0l
11-16-2014, 05:10 PM
If you clicked it, run scan. Even if you're on Mac it doesn't mean you're safe from all kinds of viruses. I had 2 trojans on my previous Mac before. Linux is the same thing. But Linux can't have trojans, however other viruses it can have.

If it is windows virus, it probably isnt designed for a mac.

Brys
11-17-2014, 02:54 AM
If it is windows virus, it probably isnt designed for a mac.

Probably is the keyword.