PDA

View Full Version : Research Paper

Bob Will
11-17-2014, 04:29 AM
If you guys want I am posting this crappy last minute research paper
I posted it to Turnitin.com for class,surprisingly it was only 23% similar to other essay's (That's a good thing)

Mark Twain's The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
Through the creation of American literature, authors have found ways to surpass the expectation of reading with their enchanting words and stories. No other author surpassed this expectation like Mark Twain, his stories were not just mere stories or tales, they were extraordinarily legendary. He shows his realistic writing skills through one of his most popular books, which is studied in our 21st century classrooms, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. Mark Twain's background, the key literary devices, and the novels historical time period help developed such an engaging book.
Mark Twain was born as Samuel Langhorne Clemens, in Florida, Missouri, on November 30, 1835.As a child he lived by nearby Hannibal right by the Mississippi River bank wondrously staring at its romance and ecstatic life. ("Mark Twain." Encyclopedia of World Biography. Detroit: Gale, 1998. Biography in Context. Web. 14 Nov. 2014. ) During his preteen years, around twelve years of age, his father had died. Mr.Twain began as a compositor, someone who arranges the keys on a typewriter, with some of the local newspaper companies around him. with local printers, contributing occasional
sketches to local newspapers. Around 17 years old, Twain's sketch "The Dandy Frightening the Squatter" was published by a Boston magazine.
Around 1853 Clemens began working as a journeyman printer for Philadelphia, Chicago, New York, and St. Louis. Then at age 22 he began his life as a steamboat pilot along the Mississippi River. ("Mark Twain." Encyclopedia of World Biography. Detroit: Gale, 1998. Biography in Context. Web. 14 Nov. 2014. )In the year 1861 Mr. Twain journeyed Virginia City as a newspaper, after a while the temper he had got him trouble with the so on his own behalf to go to California. Clemens got a pen name around this time by writing a story and signing it "Mark Twain". Mark Twain was encouraged to write The Jumping Frog of Calaveras County (1865),In San Francisco, this became the key to his national success.
As time went on Twain ran into financial problems. The early books that Mark Twain wrote only were sold by subscriptions, but they still sold well. Many were not issued, because the agents who managed the subscriptions did not release them, unless they had desirable profits. Time went quickly, for he was in serious trouble. He was convinced that his perfection on the typewriter would be a success, but his family moved to Europe to live more cheaply in 1891. That is when in 1984 his company went bankrupt and he graved deeply in debt. ("Mark Twain." Encyclopedia of World Biography. Detroit: Gale, 1998. Biography in Context. Web. 14 Oct. 2014. )Mark twain stayed in Europe with his family, his daughter died and is now searching help for an
incurable disease of another family member. Mark Twain desperately tried to find a way he could regain his fortune and out of his debt. Rodgers found a way to get Mark Twain of debt and back into his riches.( "Mark Twain." Encyclopedia of World Biography. Detroit: Gale, 1998. Biography in Context. Web. 14 Oct. 2014.)
The American Literature time period is a long and flourished time line with many American classics we know and read today. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn was written in the realistic literature time period, it's date ranged from 1865 to the early 1900's.During this time period the realists of writing started coming out, writers like Samuel Clemens, Bret Harte, Ambrose Bierce, Henry James, and many more. The realistic ,fiction, writing usually had common themes and ideas.(Donna Campbell, Resisting Regionalism: Gender and Naturalism in American Fiction 1885-1915, Dept. of English,Washington State University,October 16th,2014 ) With themes that carried though the realistic writer's novels they shared many characteristics, for example they take average day people talking in their everyday dialects in attempt to use a real life event to make a interesting novel. (Campbell, Donna M. "Realism in American Literature, 1860-1890." Literary Movements. Dept. of English, Washington State University. July 4th,2013. http://public.wsu.edu/. October 10th,2011)These were big writing trends they helped make some of the best American classic novels, novels like The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, Under The Lions Paw, The Awakening, Up From Slavery: An Autobiography. These novels helped show how these American novels were shaped by the realism of the time, and how after all these hardships, like the civil
war and slavery, could influence these writers and how a new era of writing that could be made.
In the Adventures of Huckleberry Finn there is strong symbolism, and it ranges from inanimate objects to some of the characters of the books. These symbols are one of the ways the book is extremely well developed. The Mississippi River is one of the most intricate, yet understandable symbols in The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. The river symbolizes freedom. For Huck it represents freedom from civilization and rules, and for Tim it represents freedom from the slavery he was doomed with. This quote is a perfect example for Jim's symbolization with the river, "Here they are! They've broke for the river! After'em boys! And turn loose the dogs"(Twain page 472)! This shows Jim's escape from slavery and to the freedom the river has been a constant thing for southern slaves who would escape to the north for freedom.
Theme is what makes the moral, the reason of the adventure, but in The adventures of Huckleberry Finn it does more than that, it enthralls the story in much more depth. In this novel the central theme is the conflict between civilization and natural life. The quote "Pretty soon I wanted to smoke, and asked the widow to let me. But she wouldn't she said it was a mean practice and wasn't clean..." (Twain page 3) shows this. The widow not letting Huckleberry live his natural life as she tries to change his habits to civilize him. This constant conflict between natural life and civilization still happens today, and the understanding of this really captures the era they lived in. This can be compared to when the English invaded America and thought the Native
Americans believed in no god. As time went on colonists went on calling these Natives "savages" ,because of their "un-civilized" life style. This theme helps develop a lot of the dialect and helps set the tone and mood in the novel.
In any novel there will always be conflict, and with this novel the conflict is one of the most embedded conflicts. This novels uses the common "Man vs. Society" in a unique way, by using modern day conflict. The characters Jim and Huckleberry Finn are being hunted state by state as they try to make it up the North. Each character is running from society for different reasons. Jim is traveling up North to be free from the Southern slavery, while Huckleberry is running for the freedom of living the way he wants. The quote shows them constantly on the run as Society is constantly trying to stop them, " Here they are! They've broke for the river! After'em boys! And turn loose the dogs"(Twain page 472)! What this quote shows the characters running from the towns folk as they try to make back to their raft and travel down the river, which as discussed earlier represents freedom. Another theme could be found between the widow Douglass and Huckleberry Finn when she tries to "civilize" Huckleberry. The Quote "Don't gap and stretch like that, Huckleberry; why don't you try to behave? She told me all about the bad place, and I said I wished I was there. She got mad..." (Twain page 4). proves how they are constantly fighting with each other creating conflict.
As America grows older more and more literature has been developed with enchanting words and spreading past expectation. Mark Twain had surpassed the era of his time, not with petty storytelling, but with the projection of imagination. The skills
Mark Twain had were proved through this American classic novel. With an eye for detail, Mark Twain uses his background, the historical time period, and key literary devices to make this diving experience.

Spotlight
11-17-2014, 04:46 AM
Throughout the creation is correct I believe.

Bob Will
11-17-2014, 05:04 AM
Throughout the creation is correct I believe.
I am not sure why I did not put this as my into.
GET READY FOR THE BEST PAPER OF YOUR LIFE,BECAUSE THE AWESOMENESS OF MARK TWAIN IS SO EPIC YOUR EYES WILL EXPLODE UPON READING IT.

JiHwan
11-17-2014, 05:05 AM
I am not sure why I did not put this as my into.
GET READY FOR THE BEST PAPER OF YOUR LIFE,BECAUSE THE AWESOMENESS OF MARK TWAIN IS SO EPIC YOUR EYES WILL EXPLODE UPON READING IT.

You don't put a comma before that because.

Bob Will
11-17-2014, 05:10 AM
You don't put a comma before that because.

The special rule makes it before,because the information is extra.

- - - Updated - - -

A comma should be placed before the word but only if but is at the beginning of an independent clause. I would go for a walk, but for the rain. In this sentence, but is being used to mean except. Because but isn't starting an independent clause, the comma isn't required.

http://www.grammarly.com/handbook/punctuation/comma/23/comma-before-but/