PDA

View Full Version : Are you kidding me?

Mythos
11-20-2014, 01:50 AM
I've seen tons of posts with people using words which kids don't know, to make themselves look superior in the community. Is it seriously worth it? I've seen the funniest words every being used just to make people look like a smart @ss. They're basically using the internet to find out words to make them look cooler than they are. There are many people I can point out, but I'm doing my best to refrain drama. Most replies to people like these are,"Damn, can you be my English teachers?" People also feed on the people who try to sound very wise. Are people so desperate to look cool in this community? It's just, frustrating. What do you guys think?

Megazork
11-20-2014, 01:52 AM
Because apparently vacuuming half the words off the thesaurus and picking out each other's flaws means you're a wise growtopian.

Sheth
11-20-2014, 01:53 AM
Some people are using the words because a words like "big" compared to "gargantuan" cause the latter one sounds much more exciting. Also it's no one's fault that they're using words too big, I mean google helps so idk what the problem is here.

BudderMeow
11-20-2014, 01:53 AM
I've seen tons of posts with people using words which kids don't know, to make themselves look superior in the community. Is it seriously worth it? I've seen the funniest words every being used just to make people look like a smart @ss. They're basically using the internet to find out words to make them look cooler than they are. There are many people I can point out, but I'm doing my best to refrain drama. Most replies to people like these are,"Damn, can you be my English teachers?" People also feed on the people who try to sound very wise. Are people so desperate to look cool in this community? It's just, frustrating. What do you guys think?

Yea, it's getting annoying with all of these :/

Maven
11-20-2014, 01:54 AM
And what if they do have good grammar? Seems to me like your raging over someone who can "speak" smarter than you? Not every person who uses correct grammar goes on the internet and find big words to make themselves look smart, sure some people do it but i'm betting that 80% of those "smart @sses" know correct grammar :prophet:

Sheth
11-20-2014, 01:57 AM
By the way Mythos, you can't pretend to be wise if you aren't already. Wise means that you've gained knowledge over something through experience, so I'm guessing you mean smart instead of wise?

PURPLE585
11-20-2014, 02:00 AM
Explain in great detail of which why you oppose the use of a more mature fom of wording.

We as being can use whatever language as we wish.

(I didn't use anything 'big', did I?)

Megazork
11-20-2014, 02:01 AM
And what if they do have good grammar? Seems to me like your raging over someone who can "speak" smarter than you? Not every person who uses correct grammar goes on the internet and find big words to make themselves look smart, sure some people do it but i'm betting that 80% of those "smart @sses" know correct grammar :prophet:

That's funny because some of those people cannot even congregate words together in a sentence without getting things like punctuation, spelling, subject-verb agreement, pronouns, and even past participles correct!

Spewing out exotic vocabulary doesn't make you more grammatically correct. If you don't know what context it's used in and word connotation, you are just as illiterate as a person new to English.

Also, upping your vocabulary dramatically just makes you lose credibility.

Spotlight
11-20-2014, 02:05 AM
I'm a writer, so it's natural I use big words occasionally.

Megazork
11-20-2014, 02:06 AM

Same here, English groping freaks club FTW

Spotlight
11-20-2014, 02:07 AM
Same here, English groping freaks club FTW

Earlier this year we were required to write short stories. Most people's were around 800-1,200 words long, mine was 6,500...

Megazork
11-20-2014, 02:08 AM
Earlier this year we were required to write short stories. Most people's were around 800-1,200 words long, mine was 6,500...

You should have seen me back then when they asked me to write stories...

except I didn't know about shipping

Spotlight
11-20-2014, 02:12 AM

"Megazork, can you write one story that doesn't involve murder?!?"

Megazork
11-20-2014, 02:12 AM
"Megazork, can you write one story that doesn't involve murder?!?"

Of course I *gunshot*.....

Phanton
11-20-2014, 08:38 AM

"Megazork, can you write shipping stories?!?"

amebapiz
11-20-2014, 11:17 AM

Which came first?

You being a car enthusiast or you being a writer?

Amethy
11-20-2014, 11:21 AM

No just because someone uses much more proficient words than others or have a large vocabulary than most doesn't mean they are trying to look cool.
By your logic, intellectual people who adore using uncommonly found words are people trying to sound cool or to be wise.
They are just using their intellect in writing amazing things. Who sincerely cares if they use such words? Who cares if they use sesquipedalian words?
Who cares if they are too loquacious that people can't understand? Google was invented for the prime reason everyone can find everything they need.

Scarllette
11-20-2014, 03:13 PM
I doubt there is anything wrong with using "advanced vocabulary". Real smart people who know what they are writing and use those words with hardly any mistakes.
A way to spot those intellectual wannabes is using big words for every small things or using them in the inapprppriate manner several times....
As for the reason why the so-called smartasses use difficult words, I am not very sure because, well, most of the big words I use when speaking are technical terms and I doubt the people you were referring to use them.... Perhaps it's just that smart@ssed have more tendency of being exposed to reading materials younger children normally don't read (like shakespeare or academic textbooks). What you hear is usually what you end up saying.
Besides, when writing a fic or an essay, it is encouraged to use different words when repeating the same thing in the text.

PolarisHD
11-20-2014, 03:20 PM
I concur with your articulation.

Boomer
11-20-2014, 03:22 PM
If we can effectively communicate with intelligible words, we can and we will do so. It doesn't mean we're "cool" or showing off our knowledge.

Or are you just jealous because your vocabulary isn't as good? Don't let it get to you; so what if someone speaks better English? Its better than "U wot m8 pl0x doanate cuz im noob."

PolarisHD
11-20-2014, 03:22 PM

There is a difference between grammar and vocabulary.

Scarllette
11-20-2014, 10:11 PM

Well. Several weeks ago I was told to write essays about stuff like importance of education, whether violent sports should be banned, describing my hometown....
The maximum amount of words should be used was like 300~500 but I always write more than that so the teacher rejects my work most of the time .-.

Liammagoo
11-20-2014, 11:32 PM
Yehz leats ell tawlk leik dis thehn ohkaye?

TheDarkWolf
11-20-2014, 11:42 PM
I blame Megazork. :rolleyes:

I'd post more larger and complicated words but they make me sound... weird, so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I pretty much only use 'big' words when it's the only way to explain something clearly without looking like a fool.

Mythos
11-21-2014, 03:38 AM
No just because someone uses much more proficient words than others or have a large vocabulary than most doesn't mean they are trying to look cool.
By your logic, intellectual people who adore using uncommonly found words are people trying to sound cool or to be wise.
They are just using their intellect in writing amazing things. Who sincerely cares if they use such words? Who cares if they use sesquipedalian words?
Who cares if they are too loquacious that people can't understand? Google was invented for the prime reason everyone can find everything they need.

This made me laugh. Now people use words that is nearly obsolete in our society, and then one person blurts it out. Doesn't that sound weird? Since my thread wasn't as specific about it being given towards everyone who did such a thing, you can't accuse me of saying such a thing. Why use advanced vocabulary in a community of 10 year olds? What are you guys trying to prove? Stupidity? You guys are really obnoxious when you try to act like a smart ass.

- - - Updated - - -

Yehz leats ell tawlk leik dis thehn ohkaye?

Vocabulary has nothing to do with grammar.

- - - Updated - - -

Grammar doesn't have anything to do with vocabulary.

- - - Updated - - -

Explain in great detail of which why you oppose the use of a more mature fom of wording.

We as being can use whatever language as we wish.

(I didn't use anything 'big', did I?)

Did I say you can't? No, I didn't. But if you are, next time, check where you're trying to act like a smart ass at.

- - - Updated - - -

I doubt there is anything wrong with using "advanced vocabulary". Real smart people who know what they are writing and use those words with hardly any mistakes.
A way to spot those intellectual wannabes is using big words for every small things or using them in the inapprppriate manner several times....
As for the reason why the so-called smartasses use difficult words, I am not very sure because, well, most of the big words I use when speaking are technical terms and I doubt the people you were referring to use them.... Perhaps it's just that smart@ssed have more tendency of being exposed to reading materials younger children normally don't read (like shakespeare or academic textbooks). What you hear is usually what you end up saying.
Besides, when writing a fic or an essay, it is encouraged to use different words when repeating the same thing in the text.

Read my other posts.

- - - Updated - - -

If we can effectively communicate with intelligible words, we can and we will do so. It doesn't mean we're "cool" or showing off our knowledge.

Or are you just jealous because your vocabulary isn't as good? Don't let it get to you; so what if someone speaks better English? Its better than "U wot m8 pl0x doanate cuz im noob."

You can, but most people do talk with big vocabulary words to look intelligent. And these words are like, obsolete. Rarely anyone uses them, and boom, it comes out of a try hard wannabe. And most people do it for such a reason in my opinion, either deal with it, or continue arguing.

Megazork
11-21-2014, 05:16 AM
This made me laugh. Now people use words that is nearly obsolete in our society, and then one person blurts it out. Doesn't that sound weird? Since my thread wasn't as specific about it being given towards everyone who did such a thing, you can't accuse me of saying such a thing. Why use advanced vocabulary in a community of 10 year olds? What are you guys trying to prove? Stupidity? You guys are really obnoxious when you try to act like a smart ass.

- - - Updated - - -

Vocabulary has nothing to do with grammar.

- - - Updated - - -

Grammar doesn't have anything to do with vocabulary.

- - - Updated - - -

Did I say you can't? No, I didn't. But if you are, next time, check where you're trying to act like a smart ass at.

- - - Updated - - -

Read my other posts.

- - - Updated - - -

You can, but most people do talk with big vocabulary words to look intelligent. And these words are like, obsolete. Rarely anyone uses them, and boom, it comes out of a try hard wannabe. And most people do it for such a reason in my opinion, either deal with it, or continue arguing.

Agree, so much. But I would prefer to say

"ABUSING" vocabulary because you hand some people a thesaurus and they will be obnoxious with it.

I'm a generally neutral person with the vocabulary stuff because the words I use is experience gained. But being a try-hard, annoyance with it is just irritating.

Like saying

"I was hurt by my friend because he scammed me"

Vs

"A paroxysm of deep sorrow surged towards me internally as my companion swiped away the contents of my account"

I mean, it's OK to have some higher academic language in your statement , just don't do ape with it.

Mythos
11-21-2014, 06:06 AM
Agree, so much. But I would prefer to say

"ABUSING" vocabulary because you hand some people a thesaurus and they will be obnoxious with it.

I'm a generally neutral person with the vocabulary stuff because the words I use is experience gained. But being a try-hard, annoyance with it is just irritating.

Like saying

"I was hurt by my friend because he scammed me"

Vs

"A paroxysm of deep sorrow surged towards me internally as my companion swiped away the contents of my account"

I mean, it's OK to have some higher academic language in your statement , just don't do ape with it.

The words you use, seem like you have them memorized and all, so I can tell that you got them right off the bat (I think I said this incorrectly). But some people, use the funniest and most obsolete words ever. It's both funny, and annoying at the same time. They just abuse it. I saw someone use the word heinous (not mentioning names). I mean, seriously?! God, this community must be so flawed if people are trying to act like a smart ass in front of 12 year olds. Oh well, all I had to say about it.

GummiBear64
11-21-2014, 07:40 AM
I have come to the conclusion that the OP cannot comprehend the sentences we type because the words we write are not in his vocabulary thus making him jealous.

Scarllette
11-21-2014, 07:45 AM
Actually. The point of what I said earlier was. STOP JUDGING PEOPLE BASED ON THEIR HABIT OF USING ADVANCED VOCABULARY. I am sure that my and Megazork's posts have told you the differences between smart@ss wannabes and ppl who uses those big words when talking in daily life and why they go posting around in the forums like that. Now bash those who try to look smart, not peeps who use the sophisticated language as a habit.

Be more open-minded and accept your mistakes. Why do you even post in forums when you dont expect arguments?
Although I tend to mix simple language and a little academic words when typing, still, is this simple enough to be used to argue against you? #thatsunecessarykiddo #tooemotionalintermsoftone

Mythos
11-21-2014, 02:04 PM
I have come to the conclusion that the OP cannot comprehend the sentences we type because the words we write are not in his vocabulary thus making him jealous.

Can you read? If not, please leave.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually. The point of what I said earlier was. STOP JUDGING PEOPLE BASED ON THEIR HABIT OF USING ADVANCED VOCABULARY. I am sure that my and Megazork's posts have told you the differences between smart@ss wannabes and ppl who uses those big words when talking in daily life and why they go posting around in the forums like that. Now bash those who try to look smart, not peeps who use the sophisticated language as a habit.

Be more open-minded and accept your mistakes. Why do you even post in forums when you dont expect arguments?
Although I tend to mix simple language and a little academic words when typing, still, is this simple enough to be used to argue against you? #thatsunecessarykiddo #tooemotionalintermsoftone

Oh please, don't get me started on this again. Look, if your education isn't as well enough to comprehend what I state, please leave.

Artificial Intelligence
11-21-2014, 03:52 PM
Um... I probably don't know what in the heaven is going on because I don't read a thesaurus often, but can you just, let the person type whatever complex word they might think of? Because arguing just because someone can't understand what someone's saying is just, um... how do I say it... weird. Imagine being angry at a couple in a French restaurant because they said something you don't know (which is actually included in the English dictionary).

(maybe will edit or delete depending on whatever happens because I'm drowsy now)

Spotlight
11-21-2014, 04:31 PM
Which came first?

You being a car enthusiast or you being a writer?

Writer came first :P
I recently wrote a story about cars though!

- - - Updated - - -

Well. Several weeks ago I was told to write essays about stuff like importance of education, whether violent sports should be banned, describing my hometown....
The maximum amount of words should be used was like 300~500 but I always write more than that so the teacher rejects my work most of the time .-.

Story of my life.

PotatoMarco
11-21-2014, 04:33 PM

lol yeah. i wholeheartedly agree with your perception of those whose words are "unknown" as making an attempt in appearing wise. as you have so smartly observed, these people, or "smart asses" as you so kindly described, use these big words for the sole purpose of showing their extensive vocabulary of, i mean, the probability that they use big words to make conversations much more colorful is very small relative to the probability of them just using them to show off, which is the most logical inference.

too deep; didnt read:
they arent trying to make themselves look cool, they are trying to make the conversation in general look cooler

WindyLink560
11-21-2014, 05:58 PM
Sorry to say, but using larger-ish words describes what you are trying to say better.

GummiBear64
11-21-2014, 11:01 PM
Can you read? If not, please leave.
I can read therefore I will stay.

Sorry to say, but using larger-ish words describes what you are trying to say better.

She's right you know.
"The cat was big."
"The cat was humongous."
It also helps when it comes to imagining said item.

Mythos
11-22-2014, 01:28 AM
Um... I probably don't know what in the heaven is going on because I don't read a thesaurus often, but can you just, let the person type whatever complex word they might think of? Because arguing just because someone can't understand what someone's saying is just, um... how do I say it... weird. Imagine being angry at a couple in a French restaurant because they said something you don't know (which is actually included in the English dictionary).

(maybe will edit or delete depending on whatever happens because I'm drowsy now)
Did I tell anyone not to type like they do? Please, tell me. Most people do it to empower themselves, look superior, or look cool in front of many people. Did I say all? No, and are you kidding me? Are the French people generally speaking towards everyone? If yes, they won't have a thesaurus to look up on for words to make them look like a smart ass. Your argument is invalid, have a great day.

- - - Updated - - -

If kids go on the interent to check up what a word means, then have trouble understanding the words in the definition, how in the world of god, is that better? God, no, sorry to say, but, you're argument as well, is invalid.

- - - Updated - - -

I can read therefore I will stay.

She's right you know.
"The cat was big."
"The cat was humongous."
It also helps when it comes to imagining said item.

If you can read, then give me the slightest bit of idea that you can. Or is it that you clearly don't care about what I write?

LifeSupport
11-22-2014, 01:30 AM
Just because you don't understand some words doesn't make it a terrible thing to use vocabulary. You don't want every sentence being lame.

Mythos
11-22-2014, 01:36 AM
Just because you don't understand some words doesn't make it a terrible thing to use vocabulary. You don't want every sentence being lame.

Oh god, do you read? I'm frustrated already, READ THEN COME BACK! I explain everything, but noooo, you're too lazy to read!

Gliderz
11-22-2014, 01:55 AM
Invade = Infiltrate

Kids can just search the words in the Internet.

Artificial Intelligence
11-22-2014, 02:07 AM
Did I tell anyone not to type like they do? Please, tell me. Most people do it to empower themselves, look superior, or look cool in front of many people. Did I say all? No, and are you kidding me? Are the French people generally speaking towards everyone? If yes, they won't have a thesaurus to look up on for words to make them look like a smart ass. Your argument is invalid, have a great day.

Thank you for the wonderful greeting. And also, I remember typing that I may not understand anything you are discussing now because of my sleepiness...

Big and humongous are two different words (except spelling lol) even though they're synonymous. Big is used for average-sized things that are slightly larger, while humongous is used in really, really big structures, or beings.

And some "complex" words just fit much better in the sentence.

Mythos
11-22-2014, 02:28 AM
Thank you for the wonderful greeting. And also, I remember typing that I may not understand anything you are discussing now because of my sleepiness...

Big and humongous are two different words (except spelling lol) even though they're synonymous. Big is used for average-sized things that are slightly larger, while humongous is used in really, really big structures, or beings.

And some "complex" words just fit much better in the sentence.

I doubt you made a smart move then.

GummiBear64
11-22-2014, 11:34 AM

- - - Updated - - -

If kids go on the interent to check up what a word means, then have trouble understanding the words in the definition, how in the world of god, is that better? God, no, sorry to say, but, you're argument as well, is invalid.

- - - Updated - - -

If you can read, then give me the slightest bit of idea that you can. Or is it that you clearly don't care about what I write?

Clearly I can read, as I would not have been able to read that you asked me to leave. Was that not a good enough example? Well, I'm replying to your quote in which you asked me to prove I can read, there done. Proof enough for you?

amebapiz
11-22-2014, 12:31 PM
[QUOTE=Spotlight;964996]Writer came first :P
I recently wrote a story about cars though!

oh so that's why...