PDA

View Full Version : Let's Debate

GummiBear64
11-21-2014, 11:53 AM
I was just scrolling through forums, chilling on the web when I realised, we haven't had a debate I a while, (no, the square vs circle poll was not a debate) so I figured why not start one.

The topic is "All students should be required to learn a foreign language in middle school."

I have an argument which I'll add later.

Remember, keep it family friendly and refrain from bashing.

PolarisHD
11-21-2014, 12:12 PM
Well, except if it is English, I think it's unnecessary for middle school students to learn a foreign language. It will be just an additional headache to them. However, if you are studying on another country, I think it should be required to learn the language of that country.

BlaZinG
11-21-2014, 12:15 PM
I was just scrolling through forums, chilling on the web when I realised, we haven't had a debate I a while, (no, the square vs circle poll was not a debate) so I figured why not start one.

The topic is "All students should be required to learn a foreign language in middle school."

I have an argument which I'll add later.

Remember, keep it family friendly and refrain from bashing.

Everyone forgot about the
daoriginalkenjirocks vs Coherence thing in less then a month XD

- - - Updated - - -

Well, except if it is English, I think it's unnecessary for middle school students to learn a foreign language. It will be just an additional headache to them. However, if you are studying on another country, I think it should be required to learn the language of that country.

But learning different languages could help them when they grow up, example theyre in China, they get into an accident, how will they speak if the dont know the Chinese language, and if they know different languages, it could help them make more friends and business deals in the future! So, yeah...

PolarisHD
11-21-2014, 12:44 PM
Everyone forgot about the
daoriginalkenjirocks vs Coherence thing in less then a month XD

- - - Updated - - -

But learning different languages could help them when they grow up, example theyre in China, they get into an accident, how will they speak if the dont know the Chinese language, and if they know different languages, it could help them make more friends and business deals in the future! So, yeah...

But he said "a foreign language" so he only meant 1 language. I can't really explain what i'm going to say next, so i'll just use an example. "Your school required you to learn Portuguese. But you aren't really sure if you're going to visit Portugal at some point in your life." So you just learned the Portuguese for nothing.

BlaZinG
11-21-2014, 12:47 PM
But he said "a foreign language" so he only meant 1 language. I can't really explain what i'm going to say next, so i'll just use an example. "Your school required you to learn Portuguese. But you aren't really sure if you're going to visit Portugal at some point in your life." So you just learned the Portuguese for nothing.

What if you see someone that needs help, you only know American, he only knows Spanish, and lately, these days, no one gives a care. And you can't understand him, and in reality he has this sickness where he doesn't stop bleeding (there really is a sickness like that) so you rush him to a hospital, doctors don't know wth the sickness is because like, he's shouting Spanish curse words or whatever. So, ye.

PolarisHD
11-21-2014, 12:53 PM
What if you see someone that needs help, you only know American, he only knows Spanish, and lately, these days, no one gives a care. And you can't understand him, and in reality he has this sickness where he doesn't stop bleeding (there really is a sickness like that) so you rush him to a hospital, doctors don't know wth the sickness is because like, he's shouting Spanish curse words or whatever. So, ye.

English is the universal language. Everyone should know it. Plus, the chances of that happening is pretty low.

BlaZinG
11-21-2014, 12:56 PM
English is the universal language. Everyone should know it. Plus, the chances of that happening is pretty low.

I've ben to China most of them "literally" do not know English at all.

BlaZinG
11-21-2014, 01:04 PM
I dont speak the england.

This might sound self-contradictory but you just did...

PolarisHD
11-21-2014, 01:11 PM
I've ben to China most of them "literally" do not know English at all.

But that doesn't mean we should learn their language in school. You should only learn a certain language if you are interested in it or if you are going to another country.

No i typed it lol im funny.

gg wp.

9.9/10 -IGN

BlaZinG
11-21-2014, 01:17 PM
But that doesn't mean we should learn their language in school. You should only learn a certain language if you are interested in it or if you are going to another country.

gg wp.

9.9/10 -IGN

Yes, but with knowing more languages you could make more fire dam which could help you in business, and learning another language could give you more business, and if you were to open a shop, you might need to know a few different languages.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, but with knowing more languages you could make more fire dam which could help you in business, and learning another language could give you more business, and if you were to open a shop, you might need to know a few different languages.

If not in school where will you learn it? I mean, sure there are tutors and all.
Anyways, gonna sleep.
~Ciao

PolarisHD
11-21-2014, 01:21 PM

- - - Updated - - -

If not in school where will you learn it? I mean, sure there are tutors and all.
Anyways, gonna sleep.
~Ciao

That doesn't change the fact that it is unnecessary to learn those stuff in school. Not everyone will have their own business.

You can learn some languages by buying books or using the internet.

karl0909
11-21-2014, 01:27 PM
I say it should not really required. Rather, it should be optional. Learning a foreign language other than English and your mother tongue is enough if you want decent communications with other people. But if you're planning to interact with different nationalities, then you should study it. So it's optional.

PotatoMarco
11-21-2014, 02:52 PM
We already are taught random crap we don't care about. Like how Samuel Adams created USA by killing lots of expensive tea, or how if you divide the sine of any degree ø by the cosine of degree ø you will get the tangent of angle ø. The goal of this is not to kill us, but to show us the magical wonders of every subject so that we can choose better when it comes to us finally finding a job. I say go for it, because if no one will push them to learn languages, how will tey know the beauty of it?

Boomer
11-21-2014, 02:57 PM
Depends. Do you have any interest in traveling/living abroad? If so, then yes. If not, then no.

"What about the immigrants? Should we learn their language to help them feel welcome?" If they're going to live in OUR country, then they better damn well learn OUR language.

- - - Updated - - -

We already are taught random crap we don't care about. Like how Samuel Adams created USA by killing lots of expensive tea, or how if you divide the sine of any degree ø by the cosine of degree ø you will get the tangent of angle ø. The goal of this is not to kill us, but to show us the magical wonders of every subject so that we can choose better when it comes to us finally finding a job. I say go for it, because if no one will push them to learn languages, how will tey know the beauty of it?

Back in the old days (like the 1700's), the only thing taught was reading, writing, and math. It should still be the same today. No one cares about religion, history, or science at this point.

cocoufo
11-21-2014, 09:54 PM
I find it completely pointless learning a foreign language. I honestly see only two positives about learning a foreign language. 1. You need it for Uni. 2. If a World War 3 happens and we lose we may need it.

Now the most common languages you learn in school is Mandarin, Spanish, German and French. No lets talk honest. German will not beat us in a war as harsh as I may be but every World War we have had we won. World War 2 almost lost us but thanks to Russia, Uk and America we won. with Mandarin there is a difference. China has one of the biggest armies in the world and I would not be surprised if they teamed up with Russia and dominate the world. Lucky for us China does not have a corrupt ruler. The French and Spanish won't do much effect on their own. These seem to be the places that don't goto war unless needed.

Now although for the people who are born and raised for English to be their first language why do we decide not to learn foreign languages but they need to learn ours? English is such a world wide language now that almost everyone needs it to learn or speak to anyone. The reason why everyone doesn't want to learn a foreign language is because we are not forced to learn Spanglish for example to communicate with most the world.

raqk
11-21-2014, 10:06 PM
In the state of michigan, the student is REQUIRED to take 2 consecutive years of a foreign language to graduate high school. Sadly, I live in michigan. I also think its completely wrong.

First of, half of the student in 'murica dont even know how to say the english equivalent to a foreign word, I myself didnt even know what it meant to conjugate a word until half way hrough french 2, which I am currently taking. If the average american doesnt know english, why require a second language?

Secondly, what are you going to use a foreign language for, unless you work in one of the few careers that actually require it. If you encounter someone foreign, and your in your native country, then THEY should be the ones who know english.

Thirdly no one will even remember the language after they graduate, it just wastes oppurtunity for students to expand there options, discover what they really want to do. I am in french 2, my 3rd year of french (yes, I failed my first year of french one) and I have NO IDEA WHAT-SO-EVER what I am doing, at all!

I garuntee who ever came up with these laws requiring it, dont need to speak a foreign langauge for their job, and its also most likely they dont speak a foreign language either

#no2ndlanguage4tehschools