PDA

View Full Version : Some brain requests (might already be there?)

whisperstorm
01-03-2007, 07:20 AM
I'm just getting my own "brain" wrapped around the concept of brains. Here's a few requests:

Particle brain - smoke, fire, waterfalls, etc.
Magic brain - magic effects like lightening, fireballs, etc.
Water brain - flowing water effect - characters float, etc.

----------

Ian
01-04-2007, 07:34 AM
"Brain and brain, what is brain!"

Lightning, flowing water, and fireballs sound like they would just be entities. The hard part is drawing them (at least for those who can't draw, such as myself.) For floating characters you'd want to draw extra frames for your character entity. Chop off his legs. (Of course, alpha blended water would be more attractive.)

I guess you'd need an extra brain (that sounds insulting) for particle effects, unless primitive drawing functions are added.

whisperstorm
01-04-2007, 07:47 AM
Right so that begs the question: are there particle effects in novashell?

Seth
01-04-2007, 11:46 AM
Currently there is no particle system.

I agree, we need one. How better to do spraying blood, chimney smoke and thruster blasts?

I'm kind of going through the list of things as I need them in my own game, but a scriptable particle system with real-time adjusting controls is definitely on the list.

Until then, you can kind of fake it with script, like how I did the block breaking effect in the side view example. (four pieces are scripted to fly off, but it could have easily been 20 per second forever.. well, until the physics slowed things down too much.. but if they didn't need physics turned on...)