PDA

View Full Version : Possible to do shootem ups and such with novashell as is?

Uhfgood
01-03-2007, 08:11 AM
Is it possible to do games like r-type, darius, etc ?

whisperstorm
01-03-2007, 11:36 PM
I'm not Seth, but it seems like if there's already a space invaders prototype that a shump would not be that difficult either.

It would be interesting to see if anyone tried to combine shump elements with RPG elements...

Seth
01-04-2007, 11:53 AM
Well, I'd really like to do a Gradius/R-Type style shooter example at some point.

I think you could do it now expect I'm not sure how you would handle the camera and ship movement - I mean, the camera moves independently of the ship (at a set speed), and you can't move the ship off-screen, if I remember those games correctly.

Also, the ship should be able to get "crushed" and die if it gets trapped by scenery...
Also, there's the issue with enemy patterns. Maybe a brain that can do parametric curves between waypoints for advanced "patterns" would be nice for that kind of situation. Hrm.

I've really got to think through the whole brain/state/GoalManager setup and get it as flexible and simple to use as possible.

whisperstorm
01-04-2007, 04:19 PM
Hi Seth, also please dont fall into the trap of trying to rewrite a general purpose all encompassing app. If you can get an awesome RPG/Adventure engine going first then I'm sure tons of folks will be ecstatically happy (I know I will ).

If folks want to create shooters, puzzle games, etc they already have lots of options like Torque, Blitz, MMF, etc.

I know that you dont want to preclude allowing people to make any genre game they want, but I hope that it doesnt force you to either spend alot more time than you expected, or even worse get sick of the engine and stop working on it :)

I for one am so impressed with what you have already that I'm going to make my first real action RPG using novashell.

loken
01-04-2007, 06:30 PM
I'm in agreement with Whisperstorm here. Although I can definitely see a few uses for parametric curves between waypoints in an rpg or action game. The Novashell game I'm working on could definitely make use of them for some cinematic movements.

Uhfgood
01-04-2007, 08:03 PM
Considering that one of the game types novashell is supposedly able to do is sidescrolling platform games, it's not a stretch to see it be able to use it for sidescrolling shoot'em'ups.

I was just curious if it could do it at it's current state. Beer invaders seems to be done mostly by script, so that's probably the only option right now.

I'm not really hurrying him up on anything though, he's still going to take his time and do what he thinks is most important to the engine. Considering the speed for action games seems fast enough, i'd say that in time this could actually do any type of game you wanted.

whisperstorm
01-04-2007, 08:44 PM
uhfgood - dont take it as a detraction on you - I want to make shumps too! I just dont want Seth to get discouraged :)

r-type meets zelda would be a cool combo...