PDA

View Full Version : Should I take 9th grade math in 8th grade?

Tohru
01-08-2015, 08:17 PM
My friend is a 7th grader who is in 8th grade math, and my friend and I were talking about how hard math next year was going to be when she mentioned that we were probably smart enough...

Applying to be in 9th grade math would be extreme studying 8th grade math. I have to learn it by the end of the year because you have to take the test this year.

It would also mean that I would join my friend and it would look good on my transcript.

But, it will mean waking up early in the morning (5?) to go to the high school for the math, and then return to the middle school.

Should I?

Jack Bowe
01-08-2015, 08:20 PM
Don't do it, honestly, too much stress for someone of your age. You only get one childhood, so it's best to take it one step at a time and let the serious responsibility and commitment for examinations and stuff come at a later date.

Enjoy yourself while you can.:panic:

SBPRODUCTIONS
01-08-2015, 08:23 PM
It would put alot of stress on your friend but it will help him or her get into colleges and i know how it is to miss a chance at going into a smarter class because i was lazy back then and now i changed my mind and its harder for me to get into the better class.:hat:

Mr.Hankey
01-08-2015, 08:34 PM
Yes, it will make highschool easier.

atwistoffate
01-08-2015, 08:51 PM
Don't do it, honestly, too much stress for someone of your age. You only get one childhood, so it's best to take it one step at a time and let the serious responsibility and commitment for examinations and stuff come at a later date.

Yea don't listen to this guy

If you can handle it which it's easy then yes..... It's better taking ap math
Than regular math, plus a better gpa

lolgal96
01-08-2015, 08:53 PM
I'm in alg 1 this year. alg 2 is 9th grade in my school. i'm gonna just take alg 2 in ninth grade, i feel like taking it in 8th would be too much stress for me

LifeSupport
01-08-2015, 08:59 PM
It would actually lower your GPA.......to all those who are idiots and don't know anything. It's not an AP class, therefore it wouldn't increase it.

Tohru
01-08-2015, 09:04 PM
It actually is an advanced 9th grade math class, sorry for not specifying.

atwistoffate
01-08-2015, 09:05 PM

Yea ik... Lifesupport is a .... You know

LifeSupport
01-08-2015, 09:15 PM
Yea ik... Lifesupport is a .... You know

A awesome person that you wish you could be. You're still probably a ignorant kid who thinks he's smart because he can type.

Anyways, even if it's an advance class, you probably won't boost your GPA

atwistoffate
01-08-2015, 09:17 PM
A awesome person that you wish you could be. You're still probably a ignorant kid who thinks he's smart because he can type.

Anyways, even if it's an advance class, you probably won't boost your GPA

You don't know how ap class works if your still assuming that :poop:

- - - Updated - - -

Btw, try it out for a quarter or a semester or a tri (whatever you do)
And if you don't like it then go back

LifeSupport
01-08-2015, 09:19 PM
You don't know how ap class works if your still assuming that :poop:

Apparently, I know way more than you do.

Tohru
01-08-2015, 09:21 PM
The thing is, I have to take a test on 8th grade math by the end of the year. :sweatdrop:

Berenice
01-08-2015, 09:41 PM
The thing is, I have to take a test on 8th grade math by the end of the year. :sweatdrop:
So you'll take Algebra and take a quiz on Pre Algebra? You should do 9th grade math

syrup
01-08-2015, 10:10 PM
this is now 4chan

http://www.picgifs.com/reaction-gifs/reaction-gifs/***/***014.gif

>take algebra honors
>ohmanwhatisthis.jpeg
>teacher really nice, kinda strict though
>everyone is nice
>have her class everyday
>at least I get credit for this
>do good in class
>get poop
>motivated to do better
>pass EOC
>top of class
>4.0 GPA
>principals award
>manthisisthelife.wav
>end of school year
>teacher misses me
>do nothing over summer
>come back
>teacher quit job
>new teacher
>i am poop lol
>take geometry honors
>i am poop lol is nice
>is actually poop
>mfw

Jack Bowe
01-08-2015, 11:32 PM
Yea don't listen to this guy

If you can handle it which it's easy then yes..... It's better taking ap math
Than regular math, plus a better gpa

Well, I'm going off my knowledge, which is British education, so we don't have GPA's nor is our class any harder the higher the grade in the higher sets as they push you to A* (A+) the whole time, and it's a lot of stress, but, if in America is does somewhat actually benefit your education by doing so - go for it.

TheDarkWolf
01-08-2015, 11:45 PM
lmao yes 9th grade(in general) was easy as heck.. I took 9th grade math in 6th grade. And that allowed me to skip 10th grade. Don't you want to graduate earlier? I'm planning on taking medical school so it's going to take forever.. might as well get some years out of the way.

Zfert
01-09-2015, 12:03 AM
It depends on if you feel up to it.

Brys
01-09-2015, 12:20 AM
You're still probably a ignorant kid who thinks he's smart because he can type.

Omg you just summed up yourself.

Zfert
01-09-2015, 12:26 AM
It would actually lower your GPA.......to all those who are idiots and don't know anything. It's not an AP class, therefore it wouldn't increase it.

It frees up time in your schedule in highschool to get more electives, though

Some highschools offer classes that you can get college credits for

BLYoshi
01-09-2015, 12:30 AM
Do it. 9th grade math wasn't hard anyways.

You gotta get that 6.0 gpa.

EDIT: Wait you have to walk to the high school then go back everyday?
Forget that, don't take it.

XxXSwaggXxX
01-09-2015, 12:32 AM
My friend is a 7th grader who is in 8th grade math, and my friend and I were talking about how hard math next year was going to be when she mentioned that we were probably smart enough...

Applying to be in 9th grade math would be extreme studying 8th grade math. I have to learn it by the end of the year because you have to take the test this year.

It would also mean that I would join my friend and it would look good on my transcript.

But, it will mean waking up early in the morning (5?) to go to the high school for the math, and then return to the middle school.

Should I?Once you go to 9th grade then you'll know what you need to know for the next year. :)

Tohru
01-09-2015, 12:45 AM
The way it works is that,

The bus picks me up at 6 in the morning, then drives us on the same bus with the high schoolers to the high school. Then they drop us all off. When the 1/2 periods are done, we head back to the middle school and continue our regular classes.

Zfert
01-09-2015, 12:47 AM
Find out if your highschool offers electives with college credits

if they dont, its not worth it

Spotlight
01-09-2015, 02:01 AM
I'm taking Algebra 2 in eighth grade and lemme tell you, it's not that much harder to be honest.
You learn similar stuff to Algebra 1, and you also learn some Algebra 1 on the side, I'd say go for it if you can spend an extra 10 minutes a day for studying math.

Tohru
01-09-2015, 11:49 AM
The test is on 8th grade math so I have to really study hard because the deadline is the end of the year.

Tohru
01-09-2015, 08:18 PM
I really need to know D:

Edwardson97
01-09-2015, 08:19 PM
Yes you should, you can get it out of the way, to where you only need two classes of math in high school instead of three
So I say yes.

PURPLE585
01-09-2015, 08:55 PM
I say yes.

I'm in seventh grade and take 9-10th grade math...

Bob Will
01-10-2015, 12:21 AM

even though we"waste" about 6-9 hours of school,with about 2-5 hours of homework.

Tohru if you feel you are up to the challenge,then do it,If you feel it might be too stressful then don't do it.
This is your opportunity,not ours!

Anulot
01-10-2015, 01:40 AM
I did, and I was not actually that bad. If you are smart, and able to take extra time to study, you can do it.

Aram Sevag
01-13-2015, 11:20 PM
It depends of how good you are in logical thinking, and of course, of what's 9th grade's math program.
Yeah, what do you learn in 9th grade? Just asking.

craft3d
01-13-2015, 11:32 PM
I took 9th grade math in 6th grade.

I smell bull crap here

TheDarkWolf
01-13-2015, 11:37 PM
I smell bull crap here

I'm Asian. Is that enough proof for you?

teambacftw16
01-13-2015, 11:39 PM
I'm Asian. Is that enough proof for you?

Wait a minute...is... ohh i get it LOL thats messed up.

Magicalfishy
01-13-2015, 11:39 PM
If this is something you want to go for, sure go right ahead! I think you're perfectly capable of it Tohru and I support you all the way. :o

teambacftw16
01-13-2015, 11:40 PM
I say yes.

I'm in seventh grade and take 9-10th grade math...

Pfft show off.

TheDarkWolf
01-13-2015, 11:42 PM
Wait a minute...is... ohh i get it LOL thats messed up.

Take 2 years of elementary in China and you're guaranteed to be a genius when you immigrate to another country. (In this case, for me, Canada)

teambacftw16
01-13-2015, 11:49 PM
Take 2 years of elementary in China and you're guaranteed to be a genius when you immigrate to another country. (In this case, for me, Canada)

Holy poop really? Neat thats pretty cool. When you said Canada i was like

O Canada! Terre de nos aieux,
Ton front est ceint de fleurons glorieux!
Car ton bras sait porter l'epee,
Il sait porter la croix!
Ton histoire est une epopee
Des plus brillants exploits.
Et ta valeur, de foi trempee,
Protegera nos foyers et nos droits.
Protegera nos foyers et nos droits.

Btw I'm part French if you couldn't tell and thats our way of saying the canadian anthem.

AntoDecay
01-13-2015, 11:53 PM

Should I?

I feel you should do it. Most of my friends do it and even though they sometimes complain about it sometimes, it does benefit their life and for high school credits.

PURPLE585
01-14-2015, 12:52 AM

So true...

...most of the time :crazy:

bigjohn
01-14-2015, 03:12 AM
That's didferent then how we did early math at my school back in my day (wow almost 4 years ago now..) where we just took algebra 1 in place of our regular math class. That sounds like the same concept as dual-credit, which is in high school where you work for college credits in a similar way. That being said, dual credit is not that difficult for commuted high school students, so if you have a good work ethic, go for it. I'm extremely happy I took algebra 1 (our 9th grade math) early, so I'd definitely suggest doing it.